The man The voice The guitar

My story..? A story of love...

Let us know who you are, where your from, .... and what your connection with Chris Rea is !
Landmarc

My story..? A story of love...

Post by Landmarc »

I'm nobody special, nothing new, I haven't really accomplished anything in my life (but the again, I'm only a 17 years old boy =) ). I come from a small town somewhere in the middle of Sweden, but my story about Chris Rea isn’t my story, it's my best friends.

My best friends name is Emma. I met her 5 years ago, and I guess that for me it was kind of love at the first sight. =) I remember the first thing she ever said to me, it was her making fun about our new teacher. And I just said to myself “This is a girl with a sense of humour, this is someone really unique”, and boy where I to be right. =)

I was kind of shy at that point of my life, you know, that point when girls were new, beautiful, but very scary. =) So it took me quite a while to feel easy around her. She told me the story of her life so far, and it was not that pretty.

When she was 10 years old she had been diagnosed with a malignant form of cancer. The tumour was in her left leg, and had grown into the size of a small football, leaving very little of her leg intact. The doctors had said to her and her family things like “it’s only a bone fracture, it will heal” or “it’s children rheumatism, she’ll grow out of it”. But her mom wouldn’t settle for that, she knew how much pain her only daughter was in, she knew that something was wrong. So just to settle her mother down (and get the right to call her a lunatic) they did a biopsy.

There where nothing they could do to save her leg, they had to amputate her leg and put her in chemotherapy right away. Everything happened so fast, and I guess it forced her to grow up all to soon. Ending her childhood way to early, something no one should have to go trough… This leaving her “grown up side” fighting her “childlike side” many times, as I have experienced.

But trough all this, when she couldn’t see her friends, lost over half her weight, was in more pain that some of us will never experience in a life time, she had support. She had support from her family, and she had support from Chris Rea’s music. Most of all, the album and song “Stony Road”. It kept her going, kept her fighting for that one more day, it saved her life. The Man, The Voice, The Guitar, saved her. And I do not know how ever to re-pay him for that.

She has told me that Chris Rea too has suffered from cancer, which many of the songs from stony road is about, making it easier for her to understand the music. It’s because of this that I immediately connect Chris Rea’s name with the will to go on, keep on fighting and bring hope and inspiration to others. She often put on a record, and we just lay beside each other listened to it from beginning to end.

I know that I don’t know as much about him as her, or perhaps haven’t heard all of his songs, but trough her… he means the world to me.

I really love her, always has. We tried to start a closer relationship once, but we soon found out that it wasn’t the right thing to do to our friendship. And I’m glad, because I never want to loose her, never. And as a popular ex pop-band once said “love don’t last for ever, friendship never ends”. =)

The only problem is, that she has never heard him play live. The nearest concert he has given when she has been well enough to attend, well, it would have been in Germany, and it would cost a rather pretty penny going down there. Because you’ll have to stay there over night costing money, money neither she or I have…

I’ve been trying so long to find an address, or email, to contact him… I know that I don’t always tell her how I feel, isn’t always there when she needs me, even though I want be, God knows I always want to be by her side, and God knows she’s always by my side… I want to do something for her, showing how much I actually care for her. I want her biggest dream to come true…

If I only could contact him, or anybody, and somehow convince them to arrange a concert here in Sweden… With Chris Rea, singing “Stony Road” live, I know I would make her as happy as she deserve to be, after all she’s been trough… I don’t know why Chris Rea hasn’t given a concert in Sweden for such a long while, I don’t know how large his fan-base is here...

But I can tell you something, that if he ever gave a concert here… there would be at least two people in the audience that night… Emma, experience her dream come true, and me, paying my respect and never dying gratitude…
Tina3
Support
Support

Re: My story..? A story of love...

Post by Tina3 »

Hi Landmarc,
1st WELCOME to the best Chris Rea site on the net.If it's any information on Chris you are looking for you have come to the right place.That's just a "welcome"from one fan to another.
I will leave it up to Bart as he is the "boss" around here and this is his site.

To your post I am loss as to what to say other than Emma couldn't ask for a better friend than you.The world is a better place having people like you in it.Why doesn't Emma come and join us too as she will be among fans as well as friends :)?
I think I say that safely on behalf of all of us here.
When people like you and Emma walk into our lives it makes me feel how life is really not that bad and to be honest I would nearly feel guilty about how little things make me feel when I really have very little to deal with.
Landmarc wrote:She has told me that Chris Rea too has suffered from cancer,
Chris didn't have cancer but I think what he has is equally as bad.He had pancreatitis which led Chris to loose his pancreas and half of his stomach.The result of that is now he has diabetes and needs to inject himself with insulin and take up to 30 tablets a day to help him maintain some form of life.Thats along with regular excerise to maintain his muscle mass so it doesn't waste away.
Landmarc wrote:Most of all, the album and song “Stony Road”.

This is correct.This album is about his illness and what a fantastic album it is too.It is one of my many favourite albums from Chris.I feel you see Chris on this album as an ordinary person who feels not only passion in his songs but pain and fear too.This is Chris at his most human.
Landmarc wrote:The only problem is, that she has never heard him play live. The nearest concert he has given when she has been well enough to attend, well, it would have been in Germany,

I know nothing can beat seeing Chris play live but until the day arrives to fulfill this dream the DVD The Road To Hell And Back can help as it's Chris's only live concert performanace and he does sing Stony Road on here.It is a fanastic concert and worth looking at.
Landmarc wrote:really love her, always has. We tried to start a closer relationship once, but we soon found out that it wasn’t the right thing to do to our friendship. And I’m glad, because I never want to loose her, never. And as a popular ex pop-band once said “love don’t last for ever, friendship never ends”. =)
This is a HUGH lesson to learn for one so young and I admire your maturity at the way you have learned it.You are correct in saying that some people in you life are meant to be friends and some friends you just can't live without
Landmarc wrote:But I can tell you something, that if he ever gave a concert here… there would be at least two people in the audience that night…
I can honestly say there would be more than the 2 of you there.I know there would be many of us here to go too if it is possible.For such a beautiful story I wish the 2 of you all the best in this life and please come on here and keep in contact.You will learn all there is to know on Chris and enjoy it as you do.He is one exceptional musician.
Best REgArds
Tina :) :) :)
Pick up the pieces and start again.