The man The voice The guitar

How I learned of Mr Rea's Music

Let us know who you are, where your from, .... and what your connection with Chris Rea is !
jennifer

How I learned of Mr Rea's Music

Post by jennifer »

To date I have not added this note because I am quite private about it but with the news of Chris semi-retirement I feel a sort of panic building up in me. Maybe it is selfish but I never want him to retire, to die, to go anywhere except right where he is!
Here is my story of how I learned of Chris's music. This is true - it is not a joke. I made the papers although I hate to look back to then because it reminds of of things I prefer to forget. However, they say God works in mysterious ways so if that is the case then I guess I can be greatful in some small way that this experience lead me to the music of Mr. Rea.

Years ago I was abducted and held in a basement against my will. This went on for a long time. A VERY long time. During that time I was starved, beaten, abused, and basically sensory deprived to such an extent than when I was rescued I was considered a candidate for the phsychiatric ward. It is only now 20 years later that my life resembles that of an average person. During my days in captivity there was one constant besides the fear, which was THIS MUSIC coming from the house or somewhere. This music came from some artist with a deep gruff voice and a haunting guitar. A guitar that made these sounds that pulled at my emotions. I creid to that music, screamed to it, wailed to it, lost hope in it, gained hope in it, and dared to dream in it. It was music with words that spoke of love which I had abandoned, change which I prayed for, cynicism which I could relate to and the beach/sea which I dreamed I'd see again some day. I had no idea who this artist was. I just listened intensely as it was usually the only sounds I heard in a 24 hour period.

Years later after much therapy and personal work I went on a vacation. There I heard this same music and was transported back to a time when that music was literally my salvation. It is hard to explain but imagine being somewhere with no colors, no food of substance, nothing to stimulate the senses except this music off in the distance. When I heard that music I started bawling. I immediately asked WHO IS THIS ARTIST? I was told and I went out and bought every single cd, cd-single, import, live cd and anything else I could get my hands on. I listen to Mr. Rea pretty much exclusively now because it reminds me of the inner strength of human beings. it reminds me of the good that can come from the bad. And as Mr Rea says 'It's all gone".

I entered this here not to illicit any pity but just to pass on my story. Mr Rea's music has been an instrument of survival for me. It is rich in texture like his painitings, it is diverse, it is deep and it carries on the wind like the salt and smell of the ocean. May Good keep a watch over him and his health and let us enjoy many more years of his music.

Thank you Bart for your website. it is a treat to visit it each time.
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Re: How I learned of Mr Rea's Music

Post by Mr_Blues »

jennifer wrote:To date I have not added this note because I am quite private about it but with the news of Chris semi-retirement I feel a sort of panic building up in me. Maybe it is selfish but I never want him to retire, to die, to go anywhere except right where he is!
Here is my story of how I learned of Chris's music. This is true - it is not a joke. I made the papers although I hate to look back to then because it reminds of of things I prefer to forget. However, they say God works in mysterious ways so if that is the case then I guess I can be greatful in some small way that this experience lead me to the music of Mr. Rea.

Years ago I was abducted and held in a basement against my will. This went on for a long time. A VERY long time. During that time I was starved, beaten, abused, and basically sensory deprived to such an extent than when I was rescued I was considered a candidate for the phsychiatric ward. It is only now 20 years later that my life resembles that of an average person. During my days in captivity there was one constant besides the fear, which was THIS MUSIC coming from the house or somewhere. This music came from some artist with a deep gruff voice and a haunting guitar. A guitar that made these sounds that pulled at my emotions. I creid to that music, screamed to it, wailed to it, lost hope in it, gained hope in it, and dared to dream in it. It was music with words that spoke of love which I had abandoned, change which I prayed for, cynicism which I could relate to and the beach/sea which I dreamed I'd see again some day. I had no idea who this artist was. I just listened intensely as it was usually the only sounds I heard in a 24 hour period.

Years later after much therapy and personal work I went on a vacation. There I heard this same music and was transported back to a time when that music was literally my salvation. It is hard to explain but imagine being somewhere with no colors, no food of substance, nothing to stimulate the senses except this music off in the distance. When I heard that music I started bawling. I immediately asked WHO IS THIS ARTIST? I was told and I went out and bought every single cd, cd-single, import, live cd and anything else I could get my hands on. I listen to Mr. Rea pretty much exclusively now because it reminds me of the inner strength of human beings. it reminds me of the good that can come from the bad. And as Mr Rea says 'It's all gone".

I entered this here not to illicit any pity but just to pass on my story. Mr Rea's music has been an instrument of survival for me. It is rich in texture like his painitings, it is diverse, it is deep and it carries on the wind like the salt and smell of the ocean. May Good keep a watch over him and his health and let us enjoy many more years of his music.

Thank you Bart for your website. it is a treat to visit it each time.
A really touching story. Sorry to hear what you have been going through Jennifer. We can say at this point: thank God for his music.
Too many good words to add here.
I better just sit back and drink beer. :)