The man The voice The guitar

Driving Home...drove me here

Let us know who you are, where your from, .... and what your connection with Chris Rea is !
Ron Adams
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Driving Home...drove me here

Post by Ron Adams »

Been in radio as a programmer and announcer for 30 years in the US. Only knew Chris Rea for Fool (which is a great tune). But I was surfing around for Christmas songs and happened on Driving Home For Christmas. Wow. What a song with a laid back, but intense Christmas spirit. From there I investigated Chris Rea and...I had no idea! What a catalog of GREAT material. And what a guitar player. So, I've got 30 years of catching up to do here. I've already purchased about 8 of his CDs....Best to all from a small town in the mountains east of Pittsburgh, PA. -Ron
Jim M
Support
Support

Re: Driving Home...drove me here

Post by Jim M »

Welcome Ron
AS a fellow North American it's difficuly being a Rea fan here as his music is generaly not available in stores.I've built up a collection thanks to the internet.He's an amazing artist and with the new project coming we have alot to look forward to.
Jim
Nothings Happening By The Sea
Susan
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by Susan »

Hi, Ron. I also came late to the game. I stumbled upon Chris and that vast and fantastic catalog of music nearly three years ago, as I surfed the internet for something else...now totally forgotten. I clicked on "The Blue Cafe", and my life changed for the better in an instant. Of course, I loved "Fool" back in the day, but as most of us Americans know, Chris had virtually no presence or airplay here after that....except for, perhaps, a brief interlude in 1989 with "Road to Hell". Since that fateful day as I plunked along on the keyboard, googling anything and everything "Chris Rea", I have amassed a collection of every available CD, video, poster, news article, advert, tour book...and even a set of mugs. Those mugs led me to my now dear friend Jeff, who had them for sale on ebay. Jeff, who lives in the UK and at one time managed a CR website, is a talented guitarist in his own right. I'll finally get to meet him next April when my husband and I spend two weeks in the UK. One of our first stops there will be in Plymouth where we'll see Chris in concert (5th row tickets). You'll virtually meet some wonderful folks....CR fans from all around the world....as you explore Chris' songbook and wealth of material. His music transcends all geographical and cultural boundaries. He is truly an international troubadour, worthy of taking his place among the best of the Bayou, Memphis or Chicago bluesmen..or Hall of Fame rockers.
Ron Adams
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by Ron Adams »

Just picked up three more (Wired to the Moon, On the Beach, The Blue Cafe). Loving all this stuff. My wife, Ursula, now likes him and I turned a buddy of mine, who's a big Clapton fan, onto Chris. He was in awe of the slide work. Being totally into music, it just goes to show, how the record company trending (in the US) played such a big part in me never happening upon him (beyond "Fool") in all these years. Thanks to some haphazard Googling...I'm hooked. Just saw the 7 part interview on YouTube. Looking forward to the new material. BTW - I thought Parting Shots was a hoot.
Jim M
Support
Support

Post by Jim M »

Ron
I think most of us here can relate.Sometimes I feel like I'm preaching Chris Rea to the unconverted (here we've all seen the light).Like you I find most people in N America know 2 maybe 3 songs but when they hear more thier hooked !
Jim
Nothings Happening By The Sea
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

Hi guys,

I think Chris is not really "famous", here in the Netherlands either, most people know him of his 1980 songs like Driving home for X-mas, Josephine, On the beach etc. And there is so much more! When I discovered his blues (the blue juxebox, Road to hell, Blue Guitars...) , I really discovered his big quality, his slide guitar :D. I did fall in love instantly :lol: Even Clapton became a lesser God to me! And I really was into him ever since I was 13.(48 now)
I hope we can enjoy Chris his music for a very long time.
I'm sorry for you guys you don't live in Holland or Europe :( .
I'm going to his concert in Amsterdam for the third time and looking really really forward to it. And I feel myself blessed :oops:. I rather would see Chris Rea than(then?) Eric Clapton, although his old blues is still beautiful :o
I really feel sorry if you don't get a chance to see him! And very curious to his new material( but who isn't).

Byebye
Ann
You're never to old to dance!