The man The voice The guitar

I've got mail from Japan...

Let us know who you are, where your from, .... and what your connection with Chris Rea is !
tobischmitz

I've got mail from Japan...

Post by tobischmitz »

Hi there,

I received today a gift from a friend in Japan: the long deleted Japanese CD SNOW from 1987. It's incredible!!! I have been listening to Chris Rea's music for more than 15 years. It all started with Road to hell. After that one thing leaded to another and so I'm waiting for new things to come.

By the way - one thing concerning the new best of. Why is there no compilation of B-sides or live tracks? That would be more useful than another Best Of record with Josephine for the 10th time...

Ok, that's it - just to introduce myself. I'm from Germany, my name is Tobias and I'm studying. :)

Best wishes and thank you for this marvellous website
Greetings
Tobias
leila.wilson
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

The new CD to be released by Chris Rea

Post by leila.wilson »

Hi there Tobias,
I think you are right about the lyrics on the new CD that comes out next week. (nothing new at all) What a pity, as there are so many that could have been chosen. I wonder who DID make the decisions as to the content???? :roll:

How do you like the more recent "blues" that Chris is now
bringing out in all his music?

Best wishes and REAgards,

Leila.
tobischmitz

Re: The new CD to be released by Chris Rea

Post by tobischmitz »

Hi Leila,

I liked the "old" stuff more than the actual. But it is still good music to me. Unfortunately my favourite albums are ON THE BEACH, WIRED TO THE MOON and AUBERGE.

I think Chris Rea had always used blues elements in his songs but wrapped them up in a pop song. I would be very pleased if he finds a way to combine his old and his new music. And maybe he will someday perform a concert with a good combination of his whole career. I'm still hoping :)

Anyway - I will buy the new stuff and will be amazed by his guitar play and probably by the songs too. But my favourite CD won't be knocked off its throne :)

What about you? Do you like the new stuff?
Greetings
Tobias
leila.wilson
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Favourite Chris Rea CDs

Post by leila.wilson »

Hello Tobias,
and thank you for replying! Yes, me too! I prefer the older ones. My all-out favourite CD is "Auberge" and my favourite song from it, is "Gone Fishing" mostly because of the haunting guitar!!! I t makes me shiver! After that comes "King of the Beach" with "Sail Away" as the special song in it.I lost my husband two years ago, after an illness in which he suffered greatly,so I associate this with saying goodbye to him as he was set free from the pain. There are special songs for me on all his earlier CDs including "Wired to the Moon", "Blue Cafe", "On the Beach","La Passione" and so on....... I have a soft spot for "Fool", "Standing in your Doorway" from his first CD, and "Seabird" from Deltics (probably because my three sons loved his music, and they all have the old LPs from the 70s and 80s which they played constantly, and so I have memories.

I think he is an oustanding guitarist, and found the DVD documentary in which he lets us watch him getting "Stony Road" ready for release fascinating. Do you have this?

Like you I will certainly buy the forthcoming October release
and I quite enjoy his new music, but the gentle haunting earlier ones will always be my first love!!!!!

I have managed to collect some video clips and they are my pride and joy! I have both versions of "on the Beach" and my most recent
additions were, "Loving you Again" "Too Much Pride" and "Hello Friend"

It is good to talk with fellow admirers of Chris,s music and so interesting to hear what other people like especially, and the stories behind their choices!!! (everybody has stories)

Take care then Tobias,

Every good wish,

Leila. :)