The man The voice The guitar

My story about finding Chris Rea music

Let us know who you are, where your from, .... and what your connection with Chris Rea is !
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

My story about finding Chris Rea music

Post by Mr_Blues »

Hello to all of you, the fans of The Man himself :)

Now, let me tell you about my story finding the music of Chris Rea.
Now you must understand that I´m late starter with music, I was around thirteen when it came important to me. Anyhow here´s my story.

We go way back to the year 1994-1995, I can´t say the specific month so I don´t know which year it is but anyway. I recall coming back to home from school and I found a new casette lying on the table which has came from music club via post. This casette was my stepfathers (RIP 1998) and the casette was The Best of Chris Rea. I looked it for awhile and thought what kind of a bullshit music this is (yeah, that was my first reaction before hearing it) :) Well, then I thought to listen it. I used headphones for some reason and I sit down front of the bookshell. As everyone can now The Road To Hell part 2 is the first track on that Best Of album. The song started and at the same time some kind of a thing snapped inside of me as the song moved on. I haven´t heard anything like that before (I did listen all that euro tecnho bullshit before that). I actually listenned the whole album that time and when the last song was over I was a changed man. I started to listen that casette every now and then and I also started to check other albums which my stepfather had. For example I found album The Road To Hell and also some other artists and bands like CCR etc. Some time later I started to collect that kind of music, I also got my first Chris Rea cd which was Espresso Logic. Blues music started to interest me in 1997-1998 and this new course in Chris Rea music was actually great for me.

I have to thank my stepfather to change my musical point of view. And I did it, I bought to him concert ticket to see John Fogerty for the first time in Finland (1997) :)

Still I haven´t seen The Man himself on live, I wonder when he´s coming to Finland???

Anyhow, let´s wait that Blue Guitars :)

Mr_Blues from Finland
Too many good words to add here.
I better just sit back and drink beer. :)
Zgred
REAddict
REAddict

Post by Zgred »

Hello Mr B. !! Almost the same story happened to me! I have started my adventure with Chris with the same album, and the first song that has leaded me to him was "Josephine" I heard on radio. I looked for and found a "The Best of Chris Rea" cassette containing this song.
Man, I know what are you talking about and I suppose everyone here does - that feeling after first listening... nothing remained the same, true mental shock :mrgreen:

Respect for your stepfather, you see that he had a good taste... And what's bad with being late starter? Enjoy the music, now you know what is good... :)

Welcome to the forum 8)
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by Mr_Blues »

Zgred wrote:Hello Mr B. !! Almost the same story happened to me! I have started my adventure with Chris with the same album, and the first song that has leaded me to him was "Josephine" I heard on radio. I looked for and found a "The Best of Chris Rea" cassette containing this song.
Man, I know what are you talking about and I suppose everyone here does - that feeling after first listening... nothing remained the same, true mental shock :mrgreen:

Respect for your stepfather, you see that he had a good taste... And what's bad with being late starter? Enjoy the music, now you know what is good... :)

Welcome to the forum 8)
Hello, "nice to meet you" Zgred :)
COLB-UK
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

Post by COLB-UK »

Thought I might as well give my story to Chris Rea.
Although being a bit older than most of yourselves (only a bit mind :lol: )

I first heard Chris while having a lift to work each morning back in 1988.
My colleague who use to pick me up had the NLTOW tape playing in the car & it was On The Beach which I first heard.

The following weekend I bought NLTOW. After reading the inlay card I found these where all revamped tracks of previous work.

I had to have it all.

I set out on a mission to find all the back catalogue All 10 previous Albums. Some where hard to obtain then. The usual places had obviously stoped selling the older ones, but I found them.

There is a mixture of music now from the blues & soul sounds through to the techno' style of Road to Hell 2.

I do think his lyrics are great, there must be a dozen or so tracks you can relate to. When my wife was in hospital last January with heart problems & this perticular day she was bad. When I left to come home that night the first track that came on (& it wasnt set up) was I Thought I Was Going To Loose You (B-Side of Julia). To say a tear came into my eye is an understatement. Anyway lets not get too emotional. My wife is fine now after the operation & back to full health.

It does show you can find a track from Chris which does relate to your life at any given time.

Keep listening to the Man & keep smiling :D
REAgards
To all Chris Fans
COLB-UK
"When the evening shadows fall
See them turning to the darkest violet blue".
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by Mr_Blues »

COLB-UK wrote:Thought I might as well give my story to Chris Rea.
Although being a bit older than most of yourselves (only a bit mind :lol: )

I first heard Chris while having a lift to work each morning back in 1988.
My colleague who use to pick me up had the NLTOW tape playing in the car & it was On The Beach which I first heard.

The following weekend I bought NLTOW. After reading the inlay card I found these where all revamped tracks of previous work.

I had to have it all.

I set out on a mission to find all the back catalogue All 10 previous Albums. Some where hard to obtain then. The usual places had obviously stoped selling the older ones, but I found them.

There is a mixture of music now from the blues & soul sounds through to the techno' style of Road to Hell 2.

I do think his lyrics are great, there must be a dozen or so tracks you can relate to. When my wife was in hospital last January with heart problems & this perticular day she was bad. When I left to come home that night the first track that came on (& it wasnt set up) was I Thought I Was Going To Loose You (B-Side of Julia). To say a tear came into my eye is an understatement. Anyway lets not get too emotional. My wife is fine now after the operation & back to full health.

It does show you can find a track from Chris which does relate to your life at any given time.

Keep listening to the Man & keep smiling :D
Nice story you got here too :) Let´s say "The Man works with mysteries ways" :D

In Finland it was very easy to buy old albums of Chris, many places sold them with low price.

Sorry to hear about your wife, glad that she´s better now.

Yeah, we all got those songs on which we can relate.
One example from me: True To You (single b-side). I got cd´s with b-sides when I was 18. Just that time me and my girlfriend broke up and those cd´s came to me as a great consolation. One time "True To You" brought tears to my eyes as I was staring outside from my window. It was just turned to winter and first snow was falling down. Pain of losing one of the first loves which I´ve ever had. I bet everyone knows what I´m talking about here :D
COLB-UK
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

Post by COLB-UK »

Mr_Blues wrote:Yeah, we all got those songs on which we can relate.
One example from me: True To You (single b-side). I got cd´s with b-sides when I was 18. Just that time me and my girlfriend broke up and those cd´s came to me as a great consolation. One time "True To You" brought tears to my eyes as I was staring outside from my window. It was just turned to winter and first snow was falling down. Pain of losing one of the first loves which I´ve ever had. I bet everyone knows what I´m talking about here :D
Dont start or we will all end up with tears :D

Mr_B how is the listening going.
You still transfering your CDs to PC
REAgards
To all Chris Fans
COLB-UK
"When the evening shadows fall
See them turning to the darkest violet blue".
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by Mr_Blues »

COLB-UK wrote:
Dont start or we will all end up with tears :D

Mr_B how is the listening going.
You still transfering your CDs to PC
Heh heh :)

I´m listenning cd 5 at the moment. I´ve been listenning those first 4 couple of times and actually I gotta say that I´m just at the beginning of listenning those. It´s gonna take so many times before these albums opens up really :)

Yeah and I´ve transfered first 4 cd´s to computer, it´s easy to listen them by listenning files on computer. I don´t want to ruin that beautiful book by opening it all the time :)
Zgred
REAddict
REAddict

Post by Zgred »

Mr_Blues wrote:I don´t want to ruin that beautiful book by opening it all the time :)
Anyway I think Chris would not be offended if you wear out the album and buy another copy ;):D;)

Heck... two of the releases I'm gonna buy once again :roll: just gave them as gifts.
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by Mr_Blues »

Zgred wrote:
Mr_Blues wrote:I don´t want to ruin that beautiful book by opening it all the time :)
Anyway I think Chris would not be offended if you wear out the album and buy another copy ;):D;)

Heck... two of the releases I'm gonna buy once again :roll: just gave them as gifts.
I can´t wear out anything by Chris, just can´t ;)
Zgred
REAddict
REAddict

copy

Post by Zgred »

When something is worn, it means that it has been well used ;)
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Re: copy

Post by Mr_Blues »

Zgred wrote:When something is worn, it means that it has been well used ;)
Yeah, but some things can be worn too much and the result is getting bored with it, I was meaning that it can´t happen when it´s about Chris :)
Zgred
REAddict
REAddict

Re: copy

Post by Zgred »

Sorry but I didn't get the point :) Bored because of worn out? Say, I checked CDs, and it turns out that most damaged one (scratches etc.) is The Blue Cafe, and you know what I did..... ? Yes. I damaged it further (3 times yesterday) :mrgreen:

Personally I don't see the point in copying onto PC, excluding archivization. You all probably compress music to MP3 or similar, therefore you deprive its quality. If you don't compress, then PC has to deal with a lot of data and it causes instability (Leila think of it). Worse, if you have PC not connected to usual audio that is used, you just listen great music on more or less crappy loudspekaers. No offence anyone, just my opinion - listening from computer gets some... trivial.

If anyone asks, I tried to listen Chris during work - no way! Efficiency falls to the ground :D