The man The voice The guitar

Mark Knopfler gets lucky.....

Here you can talk about any artist BUT Chris Rea
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Mark Knopfler gets lucky.....

Post by Mr_Blues »

well actually he doesn´t get lucky as he knows what he is doing :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYKCxkZZ ... re=related

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef34zahXerQ

He is having new album Get Lucky out in September and this ain´t some Best Of album :)
Too many good words to add here.
I better just sit back and drink beer. :)
elangelo
REAddict
REAddict

Re: Mark Knopfler gets lucky.....

Post by elangelo »

...but it sounds like any of his previous albums, in my opinion. Just like Chris, he has his audience... I admire people like Robert Plant who can create something really new.
Don't cry, baby don't cry
The worst is gone....
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by Mr_Blues »

elangelo wrote:...but it sounds like any of his previous albums, in my opinion. Just like Chris, he has his audience... I admire people like Robert Plant who can create something really new.
Sometimes creating the wheel again ain´t ment to happen.
For example with AC/DC, they have "done the same song over and over again" but [EDIT: Please don't use this word] it´s just good,
if ain´t broken, don´t fix.

I can´t stand bands trying this and that with no actual mind in it.

Plant is great
Jim M
Support
Support

Post by Jim M »

JUst bought the new album -VERY melow !
I expected the Chieftans @ any moment !
I do like it but like i say melloooow.
Jim
Nothings Happening By The Sea
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by Mr_Blues »

Jim M wrote:JUst bought the new album -VERY melow !
I expected the Chieftans @ any moment !
I do like it but like i say melloooow.
Jim
Agree.
Few sample songs that I got to hear beforehand sounded good,
but after all I think that this album has too many slow songs.
chrismiller
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by chrismiller »

Hey everyone,

Well, to be honest I found this album amazing.
The first time I heard some samples on YouTube I also thought it's quite mellow and a bit boring. But then I listened to the whole album again and again and presently can't get enough.

It's much more better than Mark's previous album Kill To Get Crimson, I just love it.
Of course there are a lot of folk tunes in it but after all I'm fond of traditional Irish and Scottish music and I think all the pipes and violins match perfectly with Mark's guitar job and vocals. The lyrics are great as well. (Aaand, there's a pure blues track on it... :) )

And no doubt, "Cleaning My Gun" is by far the best song on Get Lucky.

One more thing; when you play guitar and decide to learn some MK stuff... your whole point of view about him changes at once. I've been in this kind of period lately; when you get an insight of his unique technique, when you realize what he's doing on the guitar - he becomes and remains a no-doubt-god. :)
You can waste a whole lifetime trying to be what you think that's expected of you
But you'll never be free.
blueskev

Post by blueskev »

I agree with he comments about the album, it is very mellow and not his best but I decided to go and see him on the tour anyway :-) It's nearly ten years since we saw him live so I was interested to see what it was like.

We went to the concert in Brighton last night at the same venue where we see Chris; the hall was nearly full, more than on Chris's last tour but not by much. The tickets for Mark were more expensive though! Just before the show there was an announcement asking people not to use cameras and phones because they have become a real distraction for the band. Things were a lot less strict when we saw Chris but I think it has got a bit out of hand.

The concert started with the flute intro to "Border Riever" and what followed was a mix of Dire Straits and all Mark's solo albums with only three songs from "Get Lucky". I had hoped he would play "Cleaning My Gun" but unfortunately he didn't. It was a very different concert than I have got used to from Chris, Mark's style is so laid back and of course not being able to move made this more noticeable. The sound was good although Mark's singing is difficult to follow if you are not familiar with the songs. He played slide on one song and one guitar had a video camera on the end of the neck that fed to the screen behind the stage which was cool. I couldn't help thinking how good that would work for Chris. Mark talked and joked with the audience but when he introduced the band he went on a bit too long listing their skills.

To sum up, a great night from a real pro but you never got the feeling he was stretching himself, the emotion and feeling that Chris puts into his playing seemed to be lacking. Having said that, I would recommend going to seem him if you get chance, you will see a great concert.
Regards,
Kev.
It's just me
and my deep blue ways...
Jim M
Support
Support

Post by Jim M »

Thanks Kev
I've never seen Mark live but hopefully on his next trip through Vancouver.
I did buy tickets yesterday to see Robert Cray in October :D
Jim
Nothings Happening By The Sea
elangelo
REAddict
REAddict

Post by elangelo »

Thanks for the review! The comparison was pretty interesting, now we know that they both have to play their old hits which makes the real fans bored a bit. And his style of singing - well, I don't understand the half he sings on studio records, I can imagine what I would hear live :lol:
The worst is gone....
elangelo
REAddict
REAddict

Post by elangelo »

By the way, I see he played "Cleaning my Gun" at one gig (at least):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TaET3qlmQM

Which may mean that, unlike Chris, he does change his set list from gig to gig.
The worst is gone....
Peter S...
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by Peter S... »

According to Mark, we in Glasgow were the only audience to hear him play Local Hero during the encore....

Peter S...
Between the eyes of love I call your name
Behind the guarded walls I used to go
Upon a summer wind there's a certain melody
Takes me back to the place that I know
Down on the beach
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

Well, guys, I was at Mark's gig this night in Prague, and I must admit everything mentioned above is quite right. There were some certain surprises from Mark - Praire Wedding and Coyote played live for the first time - for me, and Hill Farmer Blues and Marbletown for the second, but I used to think I'd never hear them live again. The old hits remained the same, but their versions were all new. Mark told the audience about the reasons for seated playing - his another cycling accident if did get it right. He joked a lot and looked fine. The sound was perfect - for such a huge arena (O2 Saczka), every nuance could be picked out, though the perception was absolutely integral.

As usual, only 3 songs from the new album. The same time - only 5 Dire Straits songs. I think he does keep the balance, which satisfies both the general public and the fans. The setlist is never known beforehands - to make the sense of surprise remain. Mark said: "These guys (musicians) never do the same twice".

The gig lasted strictly 2 hours and it was fantastic in its drive, in spite of seated audience and even half-seated band!

This was my fourth attendance to Mark's gig, and I think it was the best of those I've heard. Mostly because of sound and range of Mark's solo works. It was genuinely solo concert, not in the status of "the voice and guitarof Dire Straits".

I consider, Chris could find such a balance as well. The less the gigs recall the previous ones, the better they are percoved, regardless of whether you are a fan or not. 5-6 songs from the old stuff will do. 3-4 from the new - at least, and never the same. Chris also plays songs from late albums, but they are the same since 2006!

only thoughts, as usual...

Best reagards,
Andrew
My VK fan page for Chris Rea in Russian: http://vk.com/chris_rea
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

Great review from Prague. Thank you Andrew!
Well, Mark Knopfler will be coming to Wroclaw, Poland, next week, playing on Friday, July 2, at the Hala Stulecia. The last time he visited here, he played the "Torwar", in Warsaw, on May 2, 2008. What I've noticed during this year's "Get Lucky Tour", is Mark's changing his set list playing anything between fourteen and eighteen songs, depending what mood he is in. He has a very good rapport with the public. He jokes a lot, all the time communicates with the audience, reacts to shouts if only nodding his head in approval. At one venue he would ask "what's the weather like?; .... is it raining outside?; .... oh, no?; .... that's nice, .... let's play another song then..." at another (I read) he would personally explain the reasons for being late on stage, and yes, he would apologize for it etc. I must say I like that kind of behavior.
I'm also surprised Mark is playing his less known but very good songs. I believe we all have been waiting to hear them live.
Looking forward to his gig.
Best regards to all,
Chris
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by Mr_Blues »

Well, this is what I´ve said Chris should do all along as well....but i guess it´s only wishful thinking...