The man The voice The guitar

Get Carter

The topic previously known as "General chat"...
chrisreafan

Get Carter

Post by chrisreafan »

Recommended: for anyone who likes a gritty gangster epos (tale) tonight at TCM at 21.00 hour (Nordic schedule) "Get Carter" from Michael Caine in '71

Especially for people in The Netherlands
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Re: Get Carter

Post by Chris »

Hi,
I have to agree with you 100%. "Get Carter" is definitely one of the best gangster movies ever made. I've seen it a couple of times, never got tired of it and finally I decided I should have it on DVD....

Should you also be a JJ Cale's fan, I think you should know that on February 24, 2009, there will a brand new album out by him. It's to be released first in the US. It'll be titled: "Roll On." JJ plays all the instruments on it. It's his first since 2006 "The Road to Escondido's" studio album recorded by him at his own California private studio....
Take care,
Chris
chrisreafan

Post by chrisreafan »

Thanks Chris,

Yep, i like JJ Cale, bought "Number 10" and "Guitar Man" not so long ago. Right now i am listening to "Jack the Ripper" (strange name for a band but anyhow) there cd "I am Coming" with really good numbers on it like "La Femelle du Requin", "Her Ghost", "So" and "Hamlet Song"

I have "get Carter" now on my harddisk of my recorder and bought it a couple of days ago from someone in the Netherlands without subtitels for 10 euro, still have to get it.

cheers.
chrisreafan

Post by chrisreafan »

Recommended: "Department 36" and "Public Enemy No 1" (about Jacques Mesrine)
chrisreafan

Post by chrisreafan »

Ordered his new one. Harry Brown.

Just seen a trailer. But not reading too many reviews (spoil).

waiting for 1 July when it will be delivered (then i can make if i want too some remarks)

Promises to be a great one!
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

chrisreafan wrote:Ordered his new one. Harry Brown.

Just seen a trailer. But not reading too many reviews (spoil).

waiting for 1 July when it will be delivered (then i can make if i want too some remarks)

Promises to be a great one!

--------------
Hi,

"Harry Brown" you say?, well it's not his best movie (in my humble opinion), but the scene play is good. Except for a very vulgar language, I would say, it would have been an excellent picture. I understand that the language is suppose to reflect the current state of the British modern slums (called, perhaps somehow ironically, "housing complexes"), in all major cities. But I would like to point out that years ago people would go to the movie theater "to see a good, educational picture" with the proper language spoken in the first place. Well, apparently, it's not the case anymore; the more slang the better.
Writing about Sir Michael Caine, I'd like to mention that I've seen recently another picture with him - "Is Anybody There?" (2009) - filmed in a family nursing (retirement) home. He's playing a senile ex-illusionist, haunted by Alzheimer's disease but still trying to convey a message to a boy. I found it a very good movie.
By-the-way, have you seen, some years ago, Michael Caine's documentary in which he teaches acting techniques and tricks to some university students? I found it very interesting, indeed. I was virtually glued to the TV screen. I wonder it this material had ever been issued on a video?
Best regards to you,
Chris
Last edited by Chris on 23 Jun 2010, 14:58, edited 1 time in total.
chrisreafan

Post by chrisreafan »

Thanks Chris for your reply/commentary. I am probably mistaken for a huge fan of Sir Michael Caine. I like some of his movies. As he says. "I like great screenplays, if not wanted (audition) i like the lesser screenplays, as long as it pays the bills". Its not 100% accurate, but its in that sentence. I think he means Jaws and Get Carter 2 with Silvester Stallone.

He is one h... of an actor though. Haven't seen the education of students or the movie you mention.

Now watching "The edge of Love" which i find somewhat dissapointing.

A good "educational" or elegant movie i can recommend is "Un Coeur en Hiver" in English you can buy it at Ebay if interested. Seen it, but like i said on the site i am a huge fan of Daniel Auteuil. So maybe its wise before you spend your money to see some reviews at IMDB database.

Take care.