Anything new ?

Stop the presses
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Re: Anything new ?

Post by ann268 »

Have fun and enjoy!
I'm still waiting :( and live nearer UK than you do Jim so distance is relative.
Ann
You're never to old to dance!
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

Yeah, finally got mine too!
Now I have to make time to listen and enjoy :D
Ann
TescoGirl33
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

Post by TescoGirl33 »

Received my copy of Santo Spirito Blues yesterday and whilst doing chores in the kitchen today, listened to the whole CD. Opinion? I like what I heard. The only track I wasn't too keen on was 'The Way She Moves', which is apparently a song about Kate Moss, but maybe the more I hear it, I might start liking it. I still have the two DVD's to watch yet - not really looking forward to the Bullfighting one as I don't believe in this cruel sport.
Jim M
Support
Support

Post by Jim M »

After receiving my copy yesterday we sat outside (we've been having great weather) eating and enjoying a couple of bottles of wine and listened to all 3 CD's.Wow I love them all ! I've been waiting so long for new material I had very high expectations and happily I was not disapointed.I was very impressed w/production quality and the new music but aloso enjoyed songs that were rearranged.All 3 CD's were fantastic but I really enjoyed the 2 soundtracks.I'll listen several times over the weekend but I can see that this project is right up there with Stony Road ! Also will watch the movies this weekend.
Ann
Yes these shipping times are strange indeed.I think Vivienne was the 1st to get hers in New Zealand which is about as far away as you can get ! Perhaps they ship based on est. arrival ? Mine was shipped Aug. 31 so 7 days transport pretty good !
Jim
Nothings Happening By The Sea
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

Hi all,

Chris Rea will be Simon Mayo's guest on BBC Radio 2 after 6pm this evening to talk about the new album.
BBC - BBC Radio 2 Programmes - Simon Mayo Drivetime, 13/09/2011
www.bbc.co.uk
Simon's guest is gravel-voiced Chris Rea, who talks about his latest project.

Take care,
Chris
chrisreafan

Post by chrisreafan »

Don't know about December 2011, but the cd Santo Spirito Blues you can download it legally by 7Digital.nl.

Just an infomercial.
elangelo
REAddict
REAddict

Post by elangelo »

Thanks Chris, the interview was really interesting!
I feel so sorry about the fact that I don't really like the new CD, but I still like the way he talks about music and music business and everything
Don't cry, baby don't cry
The worst is gone....
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

Hi all,

I finally bought a copy of the latest Chris Rea's album "Santo Spirito Blues" and I've been listening to it on my computer for a day and a half now. I got it in downtown Warsaw at the multimedia store over the counter, so to speak, without any hassle or such. The Polish official premiere (release date) was September 12. So far I like it. I wouldn't say I'm "overwhelmed" by it, but given all the circumstances in his life, I'm glad Chris recorded at least something new. The two movies are fine; the soundtracks even better. I treasure Chris for his unique sound, melodies, lyrics and his voice. The tunes are going directly into one's brain and are staying there. So, long after you disconnect your player a song keeps on playing a bit longer. And I think I understand what Chris wanted to capture and preserve in Italy and in Spain. It's the spirit, which doesn't disappear with time but it's constantly there, for all those interested to re-discover it.
From the Internet information we all had beforehand I knew - more or less - what to expect from the new project, so I'm not surprised nor disappointed a bit. I'm looking forward to seeing him and hearing 'live' at the concert in Warsaw in the Spring of 2012 (in February, so it would be in the last phase of the Winter).
So, with the weather playing along, Chris can be heard nice and clear even in the garden. Especially since we are enjoying some gorgeous weather right now; a type of Indian Summer with temperatures reaching upper 20s (C).
If anyone would ask me I can say: buy this album out of respect for this great artist.
Take care,
Chris
Last edited by Chris on 14 Sep 2011, 12:21, edited 1 time in total.
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

Link to BBC interview on radio, you still can listen to it for 6 days:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/simon-mayo/
show was on 13th september.
Ann
elangelo
REAddict
REAddict

Post by elangelo »

Chris said he got rich in the 90s and can do what he wants to do... I always wonder why he didn't want to hire a sax / trumpet player for 'Money'. The track is great, but the synth sounds spoil it all. I mean, listen to the Valentino on 'Still So Far to Go', it's just so great with all the live instruments! Well, apparently it doesn't really bother Chris, but I simply can't get over it.
You're right, Chris, we do have huge respect for the man, but it's just such a shame it's like the way it is :(
Don't cry, baby don't cry
The worst is gone....
TescoGirl33
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

Post by TescoGirl33 »

If anybody hasn't watched the DVD on the Bull Fighting yet, I would advise you NOT to. Not unless you have a heart of stone. The first part of the DVD tells the story of bull fighting from the matador's view, and the second half tells the story from the bull's view.
You read the views, and possible feelings, of both matador and bull at the bottom of the screen. As I strongly object to cruelty of any form to any animal, no matter how small or large, I could only watch so much of this film before turning it off as I was becoming very emotional. I DON"T think matadors are brave, in fact, I think they're heartless killers - taunting the bull with their brightly coloured capes. And how the crowd can sit there watching and enjoying this barbaric so-called 'sport' is beyond belief. The pain and torture those bulls must go through must be horrendous. Nobody gives a [EDIT: Please don't use this word] about the bull and what it's feeling, how much pain and agony it's in - for Christ's Sake, it's a living creature that should be allowed to live its life, not to be used as a pawn in a game of life and death. There is more than enough animal cruelty and neglect going on in this world today, and after the bull has been massacred, what do we have? A proud and happy matador being hailed as a hero. In my opinion, bull fighting should be a banned sport. It's a pity that the matadors don't get spears and knives and such stuck into THEM, and THEY die instead of the poor bull. Just think how many bulls throughout the decades have been killed in this way. This is one DVD that I shall never, ever watch again. I can understand when Chris said that after being taken to watch a bull fight, he had to walk out before the end. I would never have gone in the first place If anybody ojbects or doesn't agree with me, then I'm sorry, but I felt, after watching part of this film, that I had to put my feelings down. I should never have watched this film in the first place.
Bart
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Bart »

TescoGirl33 wrote:I should never have watched this film in the first place.
I partly agree... I am sure that after watching it once, I will NEVER ever watch it again, and I still feel a bit miserable for watching it, but on the other hand I think it is good to have watched it once... I did know about bull fighting, and I did hate it already, but I don’t think I could have ever imagined how horrible it really is. These so called “hero’s” are nothing more then sad little losers, and it is indeed hard to understand how this is still allowed in a “civilized society” (or are they perhaps not so civilized at all?)…
REAgards, Bart (webmaster)
TescoGirl33
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

Post by TescoGirl33 »

Glad you partly agree with me, Bart, and I agree with the things you said. It would be interesting to find out what other members who have maybe watched this DVD think of it. I went to bed last night with the image of that poor bull being killed still in my head - thank goodness I'm off to work today, maybe it'll help erase the atrocity I so stupidly watched yesterday. Hope you're keeping well, and have a good day!
Peter S
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by Peter S »

Hi,

I watched the Bullfighting DVD for the first and last time last week. Not very pleasant viewing, I was wondering if the DVD was going to dodge the kill and the prizes collected by those that take part, no it did not dodge the issue. I found myself watching the DVD and not hearibg the music....

To the music, the credits said music by Chris, did he play the spanish guitar?
Peter S

Between the eyes of love I call your name
Behind the guarded walls I used to go
Upon a summer wind there's a certain melody
Takes me back to the place that I know
Down on the beach
Jim M
Support
Support

Post by Jim M »

Hi Peter
The credits say he played all instruments -we've certainly not heard C.R. play like that w/acoustic guitar.
As far as the movie goes I think his intention was to shock.If you listen to the interviews he's given he's anti bullfighting -pro bullfighter.He said he used to watch on TV and enjoyed bullfighting until he went with his daughters and saw how BRUTAL it was (I had the same reaction 20 years ago after seeing my 1st bullfight live -discusting).If you read the liner notes the movie was sponsored by many animal rights groups and i don't believe they would condone such brutality.He's pro bullfighter as he said he feels they are trapped through tradition in this life and that they would do something else if they could.
Jim
Nothings Happening By The Sea