The man The voice The guitar

A new Tour "last open Road

Stop the presses
maece
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Re: A new Tour "last open Road

Post by maece »

2 Tickets for Zürich 27.11. First and Second row in the middle.best Places.
I am not able to go,so i have to give them away.
marcel_michel@bluewin.ch
Leo
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by Leo »

Hi guys,

Thought it would be nice to share you my CR concert review :D I visited the CR show last Monday in Carre Amsterdam. Although the setlist was the same as the previous one(s), I really liked it. Two years ago, in Paradiso Amsterdam, I stood in the front row and could almost touch his guitar when he was doing his dance steps, but the quality of the sound was poor. This year the sound was much better (not too loud, instruments and vocals in harmony) plus the fact that I had now a seat on the balcony not too far away from the stage, meaning a nice overview of the show itself, made the concert a new and positive experience for me.

The last few weeks I listened to the Prague recordings almost every day, so I could compare the Prague and Amsterdam gigs quite well. The songs are the same, but the performance differed. One of my favorites of the show, Where The Blues Come From, had been played by Chris more smoothly and better in Prague than in Amsterdam.

But I was in shock when I saw him: he looks so much older since we had seen him 2 years ago! The sickness really changed him - horrible! I really hope he can enjoy making music for a very long time....

I also liked the movie at the end of the concert. I have never heard Girls In A Sports Car before - sorry guys! - but I was impressed about Chris' variation in styles. Will look into his La Passione album soon!

I'm not sure if I will visit his next show (if he ever will set-up a new one) when it turns out to be the same setlist again. Till then, there's much work to do for me (listening to his albums which are unknown to me :lol: )

PS Does anyone know how to upload some pics? Should I refer to an online photo album by inserting an URL in this posting?
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

Hi Leo,

Was there too, I liked the rock in the whole gig, some less blues.
This theater was better for his stuff on stage. Paradiso was cool, but to small really.
And I did enjoy the visual stuff behind him.
He played songs differently as in 2008, 2010 and 2012. That were my gigs until now.
Chris looked well in my opinion (sorry Leo, but he can look worse), energized, don't recognise that.
I sure hope to see him again.
I have no clue how to upload although I did it once, had to use another program, can't remember it :/
Ann
You're never to old to dance!
Leo
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by Leo »

ann268 wrote: Was there too, I liked the rock in the whole gig, some less blues.
Yes, but I found Josephine very bluezy!
ann268 wrote: This theater was better for his stuff on stage. Paradiso was cool, but to small really.
And I did enjoy the visual stuff behind him.
True, Carre is built for this kind of concerts, Paradiso is 'just' a small former church...
ann268 wrote: Chris looked well in my opinion (sorry Leo, but he can look worse), energized, don't recognise that.
I was not saying he looked 'bad', but older, especially in comparison with 2 years back. Think this has to do with his illness.

Which seats did you have? And did you buy the gig on the stick? :D
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

Hi Leo,

We were in stalles row 11,next to the pathway, pretty close for good view and great pics ;)
I stood in front of him too in Paradiso, really cool. Have great pictures of him on the photopart here...
I buyed the stick online and is send to me today. I didn't know that they were going to sell it at the gig too. But I'm sure it's good. I bought shirt and a mug too. Happy there was merchandising.
I had a good time, it was different from the other gigs ('08, '10 and'12).

Ann
ronald
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by ronald »

Concerning Paradiso vs. Carré, Paradiso should have been O.K. sound-wise, had it not been for a sound technician with obvious hearing problems. Sound was way, way too loud. On the other hand, venues which have hearing protection available at the bar obviously have a structural sound-level problem...
My Chris Rea page: http://www.chrisrea.biz
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

Hi Leo and Anneke,

thank you very much for your reports on Amsterdam gig. Always good to know the details and the impressions.

Chris really varies the way he plays some songs from gig to gig, guitar and keyboard solos often vary considerably.

Also good to know there was some merchandising, unlike in previous tour, wish I saw some pictures of the mugs and T-shirts you mention.

best regards
Andrey
Last edited by andrew fischer on 27 Nov 2014, 13:51, edited 1 time in total.
My VK fan page for Chris Rea in Russian: http://vk.com/chris_rea
ronald
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by ronald »

Also still available, stickers from the blue café tour and also shirts of the 2006 farewell tour ;-) . I have to admit buying one of the new shirts, though it is my first XL shirt, i used to fit comfortably in a size L :(
My Chris Rea page: http://www.chrisrea.biz
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

BTW, I have just found out that the 2 girls on backing vocals, Debbie Longworth & Julie Isaac previously cooperated with Chris on his 1999/2000 albums TRTH2 and KotB and I assume their vocals can also be heard in the song Baby Don't Cry from The Blue Jukebox album and maybe some others. And they must have joined Chris for his German festival gigs in May 2001 (see video from Cologne on Stony Road bonus DVD)

I wonder if it is possible to listen to their version of Chris's "Think Like a Woman" that they are reported to perfrom during the supporting act through this tour.

best regards
Andrey
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

Shall I share your content of this message on FB, see if anyone made an clip or something?
Or maybe will do after knowing more about the ladies?

Great clip from Carré:
http://youtu.be/GFL-1_Q29J0
Ann
Last edited by ann268 on 28 Nov 2014, 16:11, edited 1 time in total.
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

ann268 wrote:Shall I share your content of this message on FB, dee if anyone made an clip or something?
Or maybe will do after knowing more about the ladies?

Great clip from Carré: http://youtu.be/GFL-1_Q29J0
Hi Anneke, thanks a lot for the link to the clip, great video and performance indeed. Anto Drennan did a perfect job and support for Chris though this tour, definitely like his smooth solos during On the Beach and some other songs, as well as wonderful rhytm guitar work during Josephine which sounds again more like in the late 80's/early 90s.

And yes, of course you may do with my writing whtever you want if you find it useful!

best regards
Andrey
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

I shared it and we will see if people pick it up and find the ladies more interesting with more knowledge.
Hopefully someone will tape them...
Ann
Leo
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by Leo »

Thanks, Ann, for the video fragment!!

I came accross this review article (written by a CR fan, or at least by someone who has done his home work):

http://www.bluesmagazine.nl/concertvers ... mber-2014/

(I will arrange a professional translation into English of this article and will post it after the weekend)

Especially the photos are great (in the article there is a link to a Flickr album with even more asthonishing pictures!)

BTW, the article says that the 2 women play in a little band, called Island Sky. They were the supporting act in Amsterdam. Did they play as supporting act in other gigs as well?

Regards,
Leo
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

Hi Leo,

It is a good review. Only we didn't dance enough. Bummer. :lol:
Pictures are great.
Andrey wrote a piece about the backing vocals, did you read that?
It is interesting.
Ann
Leo
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by Leo »

ann268 wrote: It is a good review. Only we didn't dance enough. Bummer. :lol:
Yes, indeed, I found the audience also dull :-) We were swinging on our seats on the balcony row, but our neighbours were not so enthusiastic. :shock:

Yes, now I read Andrey's posting about the vocoals. 8)