The man The voice The guitar

NEW RELEASE 2017 - ROAD SONGS FOR LOVERS!!!

Stop the presses
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Re: NEW RELEASE 2017 - ROAD SONGS FOR LOVERS!!!

Post by andrew fischer »

ann268 wrote:Martin Ditcham was involved with Brian May:http://www.sonor.com/artists/martin-ditcham/
Hi Anneke, checked all the data bases and asked my friends who know Brain's works well - no any sign of actual collaboration between Martin and Brian. And the other names that Sonor website gives are highly doubted, especially The Rolling Stones.
Müfo wrote:What surpises me, are the last few seconds of Last train where you can hear an instrument that sounds like a real trumpet. Probably all the brass-sounds on the new album are not Drinkwater but a real brass band bad produced?
No, definitely, all the brass and string sounds are synthetic, and so are the drums in the end. In the beginning they are real and I assume Chris played them himself, not Martin.
Last edited by andrew fischer on 18 Sep 2017, 15:27, edited 1 time in total.
My VK fan page for Chris Rea in Russian: http://vk.com/chris_rea
MRB
guitaREA
guitaREA

Post by MRB »

Think drums on Last Train ain't that bad than on some previous releases. Maybe they polished drum sound too much in the studio or something?

On that short studio interview Chris mentions something about New Orleans band on that Last Train track. But was it really some extra musicians or is it just Drinkwater? I guess we will know when we can read it from album covers?
Müfo wrote:Well I also think that the drums are the main "problem" on the last releases. For example Cry for home and Somewhere between the stars are one of my favourite songs Chris ever did. But I can´t really listen to them cause of the drums. The same with the end of Last train. Its clearly a big contrast to the drums on Happy road or The road ahead. But I don`t know if its a drum-machine or chris playing them? It sounds a bit like somebody who starts playing a foreign instrument :D. Probably he recorded Last train in his homestudio without the band. You can listen to chris playing the drums on the stony road documentary.
What surpises me, are the last few seconds of Last train where you can hear an instrument that sounds like a real trumpet. Probably all the brass-sounds on the new album are not Drinkwater but a real brass band bad produced?
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

MRB wrote:On that short studio interview Chris mentions something about New Orleans band on that Last Train track. But was it really some extra musicians or is it just Drinkwater? I guess we will know when we can read it from album covers?
Really doubt the liner notes will be that informative, judging by the overall handling of the project and the previous ones, which even contain typographic mistakes on the covers. And I am pretty sure it is mostly Chris himself playing on the Last Train, with some synths added by Neil. Even Robert and his son most likely were not involved in this track.
Last edited by andrew fischer on 18 Sep 2017, 09:51, edited 1 time in total.
MRB
guitaREA
guitaREA

Post by MRB »

Well, we shall see that when we have album in our hands, either way :)
andrew fischer wrote:
MRB wrote:On that short studio interview Chris mentions something about New Orleans band on that Last Train track. But was it really some extra musicians or is it just Drinkwater? I guess we will know when we can read it from album covers?
Really doubt the liner notes will be that informative, judging by the overall handling of the project and the previous ones, which even contain typographic mistakes on the covers. And I am pretty sure it is mostly Chris himself playing on the Last Train, with some synths added by Neil. Even Robert and his son most likely were not involved in this track.
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

andrew fischer wrote:
ann268 wrote:Martin Ditcham was involved with Brian May:http://www.sonor.com/artists/martin-ditcham/
Hi Anneke, checked all the data bases and asked my friends who know Brain well - no any sign of actual collaboaration between Martin and Brian. And the other names that Sonor website gives are highly doubted, especially The Rolling Stones.
Hi again Anneke,

my friend, Brian May fan gave me this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBuTaL--Zek

The Brian May Band - Driven By You. VH1 Unplugged, VH1 Studios, London. 16.06.1998
Brian May - Vocal and Guitar
Spike Edney - Keyboard
Jamie Moses - Guitar II
Neil Murray - Bass
Zoe Nicholas - Backing Vocals
Susie Webb - Backing Vocals
Martin Ditcham - Percussion

My friend said that Martin replaced originally planned but then unavailable Steve Ferrone from Eric Clapton's band, so not only is this just a one-off session collaboration, but it is circumstantial. That is why I doubted this guest work so much.
elangelo wrote:
but Neil Drinkwater)) His childish synthetic imitations of the instruments supposed to be played live in such songs make me go bonkers...
I know that (almost) everyone hates "The Road to Hell Part 2", but I loved it, among other reasons, for featuring one single real saxohpone against the backdrop of all the synth sounds. It's not even really expensive, just get one or two session musicians and it will change the whole thing!
I am a RtH2 "fan" too, having grown older I come to terms with the stuff that seemed so strange when I was younger and maximalistic. Now that I consider RtH2 the most pretentious album by CR and the best experimental effort musically and logically. Funny thing is the synths on this album (and in the 90s in general) sound much, much better than in recent times, in spite of all the new technologies and stuff. Not only the computer management of the music became more affordable, but its (low) quality, for some reason, became more acceptable. And no one can say to Chris straightforwardly that his home computer music does not correspond to the quality level of the music he did in the 90s with Warners.
Müfo
cREAtive fan
cREAtive fan

Post by Müfo »

andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

Müfo wrote:You can see Martin here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtRftXnCczw
Thanks, Müfo, but it is the same show (1998-09-16 Driven by You at VH1 Unplugged) I gave the link above. Seems like it is the only meeting of Martin and Brian on stage.
veherny
dREAm fan
dREAm fan

Post by veherny »

Hi friends i fin d it
https://m.ok.ru/video/340274252335

Cheers
MRB
guitaREA
guitaREA

Post by MRB »

Thank you for posting! Now there should be more of these in few weeks, waiting for to read them all.

Edit. So far interesting read, many things he did not tell earlier about stories of songs on the album.

Edit 2. Now statement that he never got the band he wanted is quite news to me. Also band Stuff at Montreux Jazz Festival is all new info for me, never heard him talk about them before.

Here is Stuff at Montreux: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZcTP3-ARFQ
elangelo
REAddict
REAddict

Post by elangelo »

Thanks a lot for posting! Great stuff and great Stuff!
Don't cry, baby don't cry
The worst is gone....
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

elangelo wrote:Thanks a lot for posting! Great stuff and great Stuff!
Great joke )))
MRB wrote:Also band Stuff at Montreux Jazz Festival is all new info for me, never heard him talk about them before.Here is Stuff at Montreux: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZcTP3-ARFQ
Chris spoke about The Stuff performance at Montreux in 1976 (or was it 1977?..) back yet in 1987 in his interview for the Canadian radio (available on YouTube), then he mentioned it again when interviewd by Montreux TV in 2014 (also on YouTube). I think in a couple of papers it was also mentioned as Chris's favourite live record.
MRB wrote:Now statement that he never got the band he wanted is quite news to me.
For me too, it seemed like he really enjoyed the "classic" line-up he recorded and toured with, at least from the late 80s and well into the 2000s.
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

Thanks again Müfo for the link, I would like to commment on some quotes from this interview.

The abstract is bullshit - I hate the journalists who copy each other not bothering to check if what they copy/paste is really true, for instance:
He was going to lose his house when he got a surprise royalty check: "Fool (If You Think It's Over)" was a hit in America, reaching #12 on the Hot 100 and #1 on the Adult Contemporary chart.
Fool reached №12 in USA charts yet in May 1978, being sung by Chris himself, while what saved Chris from being broke was 1981 remake by Elkie Brooks, this is what Chris got so badly needed royalties for, right before Christmas 81/82, he spoke about it in 2009 interview about Driving Home song.
"Fool (If You Think It's Over)" got Chris Rea out of debt, but it put him in a kind of musical prison that took seven years to escape.
We all know that Water Sign was the "escape" album, after 4 years of no-win battle with the label authorities, while the next album, 1984's Wired to the Moon seemed to be made of what Chris really liked to do and was allowed to.
Some of his best songwriting was done sitting in London traffic, where he composed his masterwork, The Road to Hell, his first #1 album in that territory.
2 previous albums by Chris, Dancing with Strangers and New Light also topped the UK charts.
His next album, Auberge, also topped the UK chart, providing the funds to feed his amateur auto racing habit and buy a Ferrari or two.
By the time of Auberge release in Feb 91 Chris had already sold his Ferraris (512 and TestaRossa) and turned to racing Caterham instead.

But then there are some amazing replies by Chris himslef:
Is this the same place you were living which took you on the "Road To Hell"?
Chris: Oh yes, same place.
This proves my assumption that after residing at the Sol Mill in Cookham from 1995 till 2007 Chris moved back to his old house he lived from mid 80s till early 90s.
Chris: That's right, yeah. I had a terrible job with that during the Grammy week because I was in this top radio station and I was thinking, I don't know why I'm here. This guy asked me what the song was about. Now, in the north of England you have a phrase, if somebody leaves you, they "blow you out." Now, in America that can mean something else.
Songfacts: Oh, yes. [Especially if you leave off "out".]
Chris: The guy told me to get out the studio. He phoned security. It seemed Chris Rea was determined not to be a success, which wasn't the case, it's just that's how it went for me. I should never have used that term.
I overheard this story before in an old interview by Chris but the sound quality was bad so I could not get right what he meant. Now I see it is about his English words judged by the Americans as a --- slang or innuendo. Stupid media people.
Müfo
cREAtive fan
cREAtive fan

Post by Müfo »

MRB
guitaREA
guitaREA

Post by MRB »

thanks, google translater helps a lot :)