The man The voice The guitar

NEW RELEASE 2017 - ROAD SONGS FOR LOVERS!!!

Stop the presses
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Re: NEW RELEASE 2017 - ROAD SONGS FOR LOVERS!!!

Post by ann268 »

Packages dispatched. I had it send with First Class Mail, I think they will be in of the beginning of the coming week MRB.
This morning at 7.30 nothing had happened. I still have not a confirming mail though.
You're never to old to dance!
MRB
guitaREA
guitaREA

Post by MRB »

So, no chance getting album today to other country, but the full album is now in Spotify to ease the pain.

Will listen some tracks here and there but will save first full listen of the album to the moment when I got the album in my hands.
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

Well, I just picked up my copy of the "Road Songs For Lovers" at the multimedia store near me. For about €15.00. I took it off the shelve this morning, shortly after the store opened at 10:00 AM.
What can I say? I just listened to it two times - "real to real", so to say. Chris sings just fine for me but one can detect right away that he does it with some difficulty. The general sound he used to be know for is there alright. Someone can say: "the old Chris is back", with just a smidgen of blues, if you know what I mean. It's a very nostalgic and - for me - a sad CD. As if he would like to say goodby to all of us.
But I like it very much.
All the best to all of you,
Chris
MRB
guitaREA
guitaREA

Post by MRB »

I have been listening songs from Spotify and I have to say there is two songs which are for certain two less favorite in my books.

1. Money, I did not like it on Santo Spirito and I don't like it here either. Intro is ok and slide solo too, that's it about this song.

2. Moving on, this sounds so painfully cheesy & cheerful and vain remake, original from Stony Road is really good one. Original is haunting and bluesy, Chris's vocals with minimal music on the background gives me chills.

Rest of the album I like and will listen it until CD will break :D

EDIT. And yes album sounds time to time very nostalgic and old style of Rea. Also there is parts of music which sounds references to certain 80's-90's songs. For example to my ears there's a close relative to old B-side "Dancing Shoes" with "Red Shoes" (Auberge) brass lines in the end!
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

I would hate to steal the show here, but I must say the more I listen to it I like the new album even better. It's especially good for the car. I just went up and down a few places and I must say it's excellent in the traffic, expect (I second you on that, MRB) for "Money" and perhaps one more song. But the rest of the pieces are just great. "Two lost souls", "Rock My Soul" even "Moving On", "Last Train" and "Beautiful".
I hope other fans will like it too.
MRB
guitaREA
guitaREA

Post by MRB »

Also, isn't this song out of place in this concept album?
Chris wrote:I just went up and down a few places and I must say it's excellent in the traffic, expect (I second you on that, MRB) for "Money".
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

Yeah, I would say the "Money" doesn't fit to the concept of the "road songs for lovers" album, for sure.
After all Chris was bragging many times he's "got drawers full of songs....", right?
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

I just read a interview from the zero's, after he made Blue Guitars, he wrote two songs a day.
But afterwards he often is not really satisfied.
So how many end up in the bin? And he had a horrible year, last year.
He rather keep busy, so we are lucky he still works.
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

I trying to refrain from any harsh comments as much as possible. I'm thankful to him for everything he's still recording for us. After all Chris said the new album didn't have any concept. It was rather an accidental collection.
And right now I finished to listen to the "Breaking Point" and I must say it's a beautiful ballad, a gypsy romance, if you will. Similar to "And You My Love" and other great songs.
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

MRB wrote:Thanks, did not see this on Facebook.

One huge mistake is that it says Rea's dad had a coffee bar, when it was ice cream place, well.....
ann268 wrote:For those who are not on Facebook, another interview:
http://www.cetusnews.com/life/Chris-Rea ... VPzjW.html
I'm cleaning up some dropbox and I found a photo of Rea's Coffee and Icebar!
I have no clue how to put the photo up here!
So a link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ht250z9sm64uo ... 1.jpg?dl=0
MRB
guitaREA
guitaREA

Post by MRB »

Well, ice cream was not mentioned on interview at all and for as long as I remember it has always been said to be ice cream place, so it got to my eye right away that they talk about coffee and not ice cream.

ann268 wrote:
MRB wrote:Thanks, did not see this on Facebook.

One huge mistake is that it says Rea's dad had a coffee bar, when it was ice cream place, well.....
ann268 wrote:For those who are not on Facebook, another interview:
http://www.cetusnews.com/life/Chris-Rea ... VPzjW.html
I'm cleaning up some dropbox and I found a photo of Rea's Coffee and Icebar!
I have no clue how to put the photo up here!
So a link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ht250z9sm64uo ... 1.jpg?dl=0
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

Another German Interview, very good one I must say!
https://www.frankenpost.de/region/feuil ... 87,5754177

MRB he's talking about his families Icecream and Coffeebar ;)
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

Coming week: On Ken Bruce BBC Radio2 on Tuesday morning, Chris Rea!
Got that from another member from FB, didn't saw it here so far, so you're warned.
Munich-1983
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by Munich-1983 »

One huge mistake is that it says Rea's dad had a coffee bar, when it was ice cream place
As the postman didn´t bringt the new album today, I put the "Blue Guitars"-Book out again. And indeedn, on page 8, in the interview, Chris said, it was a "Coffee bar". Thats maybe the source for the expression that was discussed here.

And I must say, it was a beautiful experience to hear this older albums again. As the erabook came out, I maybe wasn´t ready for that musical change by Chris. And even in the former concert, when he played songs from Blue Guitars, I wasn´t thrilled too much. But now... when I lisren to "Head out on a highway" or "stream ttrain blues" ... I suddenly seem to understand Chris completely. Desireful-travel-blues...like on the new album.
And so I still desire the postman to bring new tunes in that mood to me next week.