The man The voice The guitar

NEW RELEASE 2017 - ROAD SONGS FOR LOVERS!!!

Stop the presses
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Re: NEW RELEASE 2017 - ROAD SONGS FOR LOVERS!!!

Post by andrew fischer »

MRB wrote:Cover song is master piece of a song, "Ain't No Sunshine", interesting choise anyway.
I just had no chance so far to listen to the full performance, just been told it was not a CR song. But! He played this standard back then in mid 70s with (one of) his first band(s) - you can hear it on a poor quality but very rare and valuable bootleg (Saltburn-by-the-Sea).

As I understood, the format of the show (Piano Room) suggested this type of arrangement and I do not think we would hear such (or even close) versions upon the coming tour.
My VK fan page for Chris Rea in Russian: http://vk.com/chris_rea
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

I was suprised how good he vocally sounded, on CD it sounds a bit broken at times. Fragile is more like it.
And a very nice cover. Maybe Ain't No Sunshine in retrospect to the loss of lives yesterday in Las Vegas, the death
of Tom Petty.
We live in difficult times.
You're never to old to dance!
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

Superb live performance, indeed. Thank you all for posting the link. I wonder if there's a way to copy the songs and put them online?
It also crossed my mind, perhaps Chris wanted to pay tribute to all those innocent victims shot in Las Vegas and to Tom Petty who passed away at the age of 66?
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

Thank you Ann very much!
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

Is it working?
Just experimenting with my phone and Facebook.
That Ain't no sunshine is so Chris, you can think about the world, or just his home situation.
I have listened to it several times. That song suits him.
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

Yes, the link worked for me alright. I think Chris has a matured voice and surprisingly he sounded more "naturally" in the three songs with the piano accompaniment only. I wouldn't mind buying a CD with some of his favorite songs recorded that way. Either live or in studio session; regardless.
Munich-1983
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by Munich-1983 »

Thank you all for the first reviews of the new album. I try to like it, too (as a passionate fan must do). But as I heard the live performance this morning on BBC2, it was clear to me, that the production of the album isn´t really good. To hear Chris singing "Stainsby Gilrls" with his fraglke voice, just attended by piano, made me Goose Bumps! That was so authentic and simply great. But the fake-brasses and the heavily-sounding band on most pieces on the new album - that is difficult. Also the text-lines are a little artifical, concept-songs about an unknown couple in cars... Why does Chris not sing about things, that have to do with himself and is life? Like in the golden years from 82-86, where the REAl diamonds of Rea-songs were born... Well, maybe on the next album; he is still working on a new one, he said in an interview. Lets wait and hear. Good night to everybody here.
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

BBC Produced two on You Tube:
Ain't No Sunshine...https://youtu.be/syoXg6Mt_OA
Stainsby Girls ......https://youtu.be/G6xAvL-Adns
MRB
guitaREA
guitaREA

Post by MRB »

Yes, I had the same feeling that even with the band back in the picture new album is not sounding what it should sound. Production is not what it should be. And the reason is once again that there is no outside producer and the sound is too much studio polished. And that is really a shame as the new songs are good and there could have been so much more potential. But anyway, album is sounding much better than Santo Spirito Blues. I still need to hear album from CD to have the last opinion, still no CD over here.

BBC live songs sounds good. Shame albums are not cut like that, on live with the band.

One thing hits to my eye, hopefully song lyrics and notes front of Chris are there sake of backing up the live radio broadcast and the fact it is only two of them performing and not regular band. I mean when its cover he might need the musical notes and lyrics, but on Stainsby Girl?
Munich-1983 wrote:But as I heard the live performance this morning on BBC2, it was clear to me, that the production of the album isn´t really good. To hear Chris singing "Stainsby Gilrls" with his fraglke voice, just attended by piano, made me Goose Bumps! That was so authentic and simply great. But the fake-brasses and the heavily-sounding band on most pieces on the new album - that is difficult.
EDIT: Just found this link, there is start of a interview which you can only read fully when you're customer of the site, but there is few interesting pieces told right here:

http://teamrock.com/feature/2017-10-03/ ... e-survivor

Chris recorded his parts of the album in his home studio !!

He recorded his parts here, in his home studio.
“They have to drag albums off me,” he says. “If you’re not careful, you just polish. And that’s a weakness of mine."

and right after he talks about polishing, well that is clearly happening when you don't record with the band in the studio with the outside producer!
elangelo
REAddict
REAddict

Post by elangelo »

Oh yes, that makes things clearer.

Great cover on BBC, I too wish that Chris would do an entire album like this. Thanks a lot for the links!!

I finished listening to the album yesterday. Just imagine what a wonderful song 'Beautiful' could be if it only featured real session musicians and one single real flute! It's a romantic love confession, spoilt by this production
Don't cry, baby don't cry
The worst is gone....
MRB
guitaREA
guitaREA

Post by MRB »

same goes on all of album, not just "Beautiful". Funny, time to time it feels like Chris is starting to sing "You Are So Beautiful To Me" by Joe Cocker.
elangelo wrote:Oh yes, that makes things clearer.

Great cover on BBC, I too wish that Chris would do an entire album like this. Thanks a lot for the links!!

I finished listening to the album yesterday. Just imagine what a wonderful song 'Beautiful' could be if it only featured real session musicians and one single real flute! It's a romantic love confession, spoilt by this production
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

Yeah, exactly. One can recognize right away that Chris recorded some (or most) of his vocals at home. Perhaps he could not work in a studio? I suspected from the beginning he must have recorded something himself when he admitted he had "this computer device" to register songs. So, he (probably) recorded his tracks and the rest of it was added in a studio with other musicians playing 'in' their parts. That's why a few guitar, piano and accordion parts are evidently too loud or the songs end abruptly, as if someone cut them with an editing blade (I know, I know, nowadays everything is rather recorded digitally and digitally edited).
But I still like the album as an end product and I enjoy listening to it everyday since last Friday.

Thank you Ann for posting the links to Chris live songs from the BBC program on Youtube.

Best regards to all,
Chris
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

Thank you Ann for posting the links to Chris live songs from the BBC program on Youtube
You're welcome Chris.
I think we will know a bit by now what to expect at the Tour. A few new songs and the hits, because "German fans want them and I have to sign that in the contract", that is why it's always the same setlists...German fans tell your promotors to stop with these ridiculous demands.
German is the biggest part of the tour, but there are other countries too.
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

You see Ann, they say: "he, who pays the piper, calls the tune", and it's true. The tour, in order to sell the halls in Germany, was arranged in a certain way. I've already pointed out Chris is playing a lot of concerts in German towns. So, it's going to be the "old tunes mixed with some new", as Chris said in this BBC interview. I haven't heard of any demands, as far as the set list, when he was here, in Warsaw, Katowice or Gdansk. But, as you have said it, there are different audiences in different countries.
If I would have it my way, I would love to hear - live - the whole new CD with one or two tunes from the "old" repertoire for encore.
I hope you've gotten your signed copy by now?