review Blue Guitars

pam
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

review Blue Guitars

Post by pam »

Hi Bart

those nice people at Amazon sent me an email today:

"As someone who has purchased music by Chris Rea, you might like to know that blue Guitars is now available" .... :roll:

So I am ordering and will consider writing a review if no other forum member has contacted you.

I have been reading other topics - your English is very good :)

Perhaps you should work out a subscription method so that we can all share the cost of the website.

Pam
Could it be just that I'm crazy
Could it be the way I feel
Bart
Webmaster
Webmaster

Re: review Blue Guitars

Post by Bart »

pam wrote:Hi Bart

"As someone who has purchased music by Chris Rea, you might like to know that blue Guitars is now available" .... :roll:

So I am ordering and will consider writing a review if no other forum member has contacted you.

Perhaps you should work out a subscription method so that we can all share the cost of the website.

Pam
Hello Pam;

If you want to order blue guitars, you may also do this through THIS LINK. In this way, there's a small profit for me !
It's very nice that you want to review the album for the site. As you may have read, I will buy it on the 31th (that's still 14 days :( :( ).

Thanks for saying my English is not to bad ... :wink: :wink:

As I have explained earlier this evening to Zgred (in another topic), I don’t want to charge a 'subscription fee' for the site... If people want to donate something (even $1,= is appreciated!) they may do so, and otherwise it helps a lot if people click the ads frequently (at least, I hope. I haven’t received anything yet :wink: )

Thank you very much for thinking with me about how to maintain and expand the site !! It is much appreciated !!
REAgards, Bart (webmaster)
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by Mr_Blues »

pam wrote:Hi Bart

Pam
I ordered my copy of Blue Guitars from Germany (Amazon.de) and I got message last saturday that it´s on it´s way to Finland :) Can´t wait, it should take this week to get in Finland. I did this because there´s no information about releasing date in Finland and I won´t wait that.

I was hoping to add my review here too. Could Bart add page where everyone could do his / her own review?

I did click those adds on corner, hope it´s gonna do the thing for Bart.
It would be sad if Bart would have to close this page because of money, so folks start clicking those adds :)
Too many good words to add here.
I better just sit back and drink beer. :)
Bart
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Bart »

Mr_Blues wrote: I was hoping to add my review here too. Could Bart add page where everyone could do his / her own review?

I did click those adds on corner, hope it´s gonna do the thing for Bart.
It would be sad if Bart would have to close this page because of money, so folks start clicking those adds :)
Hello Mr_blues,

Well this part of the forum was intended to put some things like reviews and such, but perhaps I should reconsider opening a new title just for the reviews.

And again, thank you for clicking, but PLEASE, let us all stop talking about the money :oops: :roll: , and start talking about Chris again. IF (I hope so…) I should receive my first payment from the ads soon, I can pay the site, and there is no problem anymore the coming month. In any case; I promise (as far as it is in my hands…) that the site won’t close down. If the bandwidth becomes a problem (and this is truly the last I am saying about it! :wink: :wink: ) I can consider removing some images or so; but the forum doesn’t consume so much bandwidth, so it will continue for sure !!
REAgards, Bart (webmaster)
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by Mr_Blues »

bjongen wrote:
And again, thank you for clicking, but PLEASE, let us all stop talking about the money :oops: :roll: , and start talking about Chris again. IF (I hope so…) I should receive my first payment from the ads soon, I can pay the site, and there is no problem anymore the coming month. In any case; I promise (as far as it is in my hands…) that the site won’t close down. If the bandwidth becomes a problem (and this is truly the last I am saying about it! :wink: :wink: ) I can consider removing some images or so; but the forum doesn’t consume so much bandwidth, so it will continue for sure !!
OK, at least I promise not to talk about money after this :)

Keep up the great work, with or without some images (or so) :)
ace of hearts
REAddict
REAddict

Post by ace of hearts »

I have just taken delivery of the 'Blue Guitars' package, literally, and will start to immerse myself in it. I shall try to post back here later. :D
could this be true, could this be me..
ace of hearts
REAddict
REAddict

Post by ace of hearts »

So here goes , part one of eleven, or twelve if you include the DVD.
First of all the review would not be complete if I didn't mention the presentation book that this whole Blue Guitars set comes in.
Hard back and old vynal album sleeve in size. The quality is apparent from the front cover. Open that up and tucked inside in a black card type double page are your first eight cd's. The remaining are tucked in a similar design at the back of the book. You will need to be careful with this storage as I can see the possibilty of tearing as you remove and replace the cd's over time.
The cd's themselves are stored in card cd sleeves with art work on the front created by Chris Rea.
Inside the book you will find an interview with Chris Rea by Mark Edwards of the Sunday Times which has been reproduced already on this site.
On page 12 starts the album pages with Album one: Beginnings.
Each album page has a well written piece about the cd, the origins of the music and the instruments used. The following two pages give you the song lyrics to each album. Nicely laid out because of the size of the book the reading as you listen is much more a part of the experience of the music. Having just finished listening to Album one, Beginnings, I recommend you do read the lyrics as you listen, the music will mean so much more to you.
Throughout the book there are prints of art by Chris rea, colour exploding from the pages , quite brilliant. Towards the back there are a collection of prints of the art work and on some lovely black and white photographs of everyone involved on this project. In addition some photographs of the equipment used.
So to Album one. 'Beginnings'. The opening four tracks are all linked non-stop. The opening track West Africa is an instrumental, which certainly builds atmosphere and feeling before a word is sung. The whole of Album one relates to the struggle of African slaves and their story of labour and eventually to the last track the moment of freedom and the uncertainty that beholds. 'Cry for home' and 'The king who sold is own' , tracks 2 + 3 are moving and express the disbelief of african slaves. track 4 White man coming as you may expect moves onto the movement of slaves from africa 'to the white man' The following tracks display the belief and hope the slaves had and is reflected in some religious and uplifting music. It paints a picture that even in dark days the slaves could still see good times ahead. Track eight 'Praise the Lord' is a turning point on the album. This is a highlight of the cd along with track 9 'Sweet Sunday' Fantasic delivery on the vocal throughout by Chris Rea and some wonderful uplifting music, with guitar , harmonica , hammond organ, and some brilliant percusian backed with great bass, makes album one a great listen and education I have to add. This is sort of a history lesson and I am only at the strart. Another 10 albums to go , and if the rest are as good I am in for a treat. 9/10 Richard Eglen.
Last edited by ace of hearts on 18 Oct 2005, 15:18, edited 2 times in total.
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by Mr_Blues »

ace of hearts wrote:So here goes , part one of eleven, or twelve if you include the DVD.
First of all the review would not be complete if I didn't mention the presentation book that this whole Blue Guitars set comes in.
Hard back and old vynal album sleeve in size. The quality is apparent from the front cover. Open that up and tucked inside in a black card type double page are your first eight cd's. The remaining are tucked in a similar design at the back of the book. You will need to be careful with this storage as I can see the possibilty of tearing as you remove and replace the cd's over time.
The cd's themselves are stored in card cd sleeves with art work on the front created by Chris Rea.
Inside the book you will find an interview with Chris Rea by Mark Edwards of the Sunday Times which has been reproduced already on this site.
On page 12 starts the album pages with Album one: Beginnings.
Each album page has a well written piece about the cd, the origins of the music and the instruments used. The following two pages give you the song lyrics to each album. Nicely laid out because of the size of the book the reading as you listen is much more a part of the experience of the music. Having just finished listening to Album one, Beginnings, I recommend you do read the lyrics as you listen, the music will mean so much more to you.
Throughout the book there are prints of art by Chris rea, colour expoding from the pages , quite brilliant. Towards the back there are a collection of prints of the art work and on some lovely balck and white photographs of everyone involved on this project. In addition some photographs of the equipment used.
So to Album one. 'Beginnings'. The opening four tracks are all linked non-stop. The opening track West Africa is an instrumental, which certainly builds atmosphere and feeling before a word is sung. The whole of Album one relates to the struggle of African slaves and their story of labour and eventually to the last track the moment of freedom and the uncertainty that beholds. 'Cry for home' and 'The king who sold is own' , tracks 2 + 3 are moving and express the disbelief of african slaves. track 4 White man coming as you may expect moves onto the movement of slaves from africa 'to the white man' The following tracks display the belief and hope the slaves had and is reflected in some religious and uplifting music. It paints a picture that even in dark days the slaves could still see good times ahead. Track eight 'Praise the Lord' is a turning point on the album. This is a highlight of the cd along with track 9 'Sweet Sunday' Fantasic delivery on the vocal throughout by Chris Rea and some wonderful uplifting music, with guitar , harmonica , hammond organ, and some brilliant percusian backed with great bass, makes album one a great listen and education I have to add. This is sort of a history lesson and I am only at the strart. Another 10 albums to go , and if the rest are as good I am in for a treat. 9/10 Richard Eglen.
You lucky bastard (pardon my France ;)) You must be having the greatest time with the Blue Guitars. I can´t wait. I don´t even wanna listen those samples anymore, that´s like twisting knife in my heart. :D Well, tell us more when you got the time. Have fun.
ace of hearts
REAddict
REAddict

Post by ace of hearts »

Hi, I will be back tomorrow with some more, unless someone else does some before me. It is a quite wonderful feeling having a hold of such a great piece of work, the sound coming out of my Technics music system is just bliss. :D
ace of hearts
REAddict
REAddict

Post by ace of hearts »

Hi, Album two: Country Blues.
This CD continues on from album one in subject and blues sound. This tells the story from freedom from slavery and overall I would say the music is more downbeat and what most would recognise as pure blues.
Sit back, close your eyes and you would be able to imagine you are in the deep south USA many years ago. Silvin Marc has a huge influence on this CD with some inspired muscianship, especially on track 4 'KKK Blues'. The first 4 tracks of this Cd are particularly blue, which may sound obvious, but the subject and style is way down there. A favourite of mine on this CD is track 8 'Head out on the Highway, and track 11 'Going up to Memphis is good too. But after saying that the whole album oozes pure traditional blues. Chris has tried his best to recreate a cd that you could beleive was recorded more than 50 years ago, down to crackles on the recording. Chris Rea has attempted to use as many original instruments from the era, and the sound produced reflects this and has been well worth the effort in obtaining them. Another great album, and next I will be listening to CD Three : Louisiana and New Orleans. Richard Eglen.
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by Mr_Blues »

ace of hearts wrote:Hi, Album two: Country Blues.
This CD continues on from album one in subject and blues sound. This tells the story from freedom from slavery and overall I would say the music is more downbeat and what most would recognise as pure blues.
Sit back, close your eyes and you would be able to imagine you are in the deep south USA many years ago. Silvin Marc has a huge influence on this CD with some inspired muscianship, especially on track 4 'KKK Blues'. The first 4 tracks of this Cd are particularly blue, which may sound obvious, but the subject and style is way down there. A favourite of mine on this CD is track 8 'Head out on the Highway, and track 11 'Going up to Memphis is good too. But after saying that the whole album oozes pure traditional blues. Chris has tried his best to recreate a cd that you could beleive was recorded more than 50 years ago, down to crackles on the recording. Chris Rea has attempted to use as many original instruments from the era, and the sound produced reflects this and has been well worth the effort in obtaining them. Another great album, and next I will be listening to CD Three : Louisiana and New Orleans. Richard Eglen.
Hello again. Thanks for this review too. I´m dying here for waiting as I might get my copy of Blue Guitars before the weekend and if so then I got quite obvious plans for weekend (a hint: it´s not fooling around in pubs and bars) :)
ace of hearts
REAddict
REAddict

Post by ace of hearts »

My next two weeks are taken up with a holiday in Florida, so I will have to conclude my listening when I get back. I hope to be half way through before I go.
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by Mr_Blues »

ace of hearts wrote:My next two weeks are taken up with a holiday in Florida, so I will have to conclude my listening when I get back. I hope to be half way through before I go.
I hope you are kidding. I mean there´s a new hurricane getting close with Florida area. Do you really want to take a holiday to there at time like this??? It´s so afwul how these hurricanes keeps hitting U.S.A. and those other countries close that area...
Zgred
REAddict
REAddict

whoa..... :)

Post by Zgred »

bjongen wrote:Thanks for saying my English is not to bad ... ;) ;)
"Not too bad" !! :mrgreen: (consult Leila for details :D)
ROTFL
I love you man! ;)
ace of hearts wrote:So here goes [...] 9/10.
Are we talking about the same Chris? I supposed it would be 11/10 :D Hey, it seems to be exactly like you and the Man himself said - a great lesson of history told by guitars, with some bluesy guidance of musicians. arrrrggghhhhh now I'm getting really impatient on this stuff! Time to check the music stores! Badly I don't have the funds right now... :( Time to sell something! :mrgreen:

Mr Blues, one little request if you don't mind... please do not cite the whole post that you refer to if it's long? Makes reading a bit tricky. Just rule to be found at usergroups. Thanks.
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Re: whoa..... :)

Post by Mr_Blues »

Zgred wrote:Mr Blues, one little request if you don't mind... please do not cite the whole post that you refer to if it's long? Makes reading a bit tricky. Just rule to be found at usergroups. Thanks.
Considered this done for now on :)