The man The voice The guitar

Any UK reviews yet ?

ace of hearts
REAddict
REAddict

Any UK reviews yet ?

Post by ace of hearts »

I have to wait until 21st April. I wondered if the play list had changed in any way to the rest of the tour ?
could this be true, could this be me..
pam
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

Post by pam »

I am going to Plymouth Pavillions next Thursday - can't wait :lol:

If I'm not too carried away, I'll try to post a review & playlist

Pam
Could it be just that I'm crazy
Could it be the way I feel

Post by Guest »

Cheers Pam, enjoy the concert. Nice place Plymouth, relatives use to live in a place near there called Newton Ferrers, lovely it was.
ace of hearts
REAddict
REAddict

Post by ace of hearts »

Anonymous wrote:Cheers Pam, enjoy the concert. Nice place Plymouth, relatives use to live in a place near there called Newton Ferrers, lovely it was.
Thought I'd better log in :!: and say the above text is mine, cheers Pam. :D
blueskev

Post by blueskev »

I'm going to Brighton on Monday and will post a review as soon as I can :D

Kev.
It's just me
and my deep blue ways...
ace of hearts
REAddict
REAddict

Post by ace of hearts »

Great , have a fantastic time , I'll look out for your thoughts of the show.
mark hughes
dREAm fan
dREAm fan

Post by mark hughes »

I have to wait until the 25th of April for the London concert but as everyone else I will post a review soon after. Can't wait!!
maria

Concert Monday 10th Brighton

Post by maria »

Well...I must admitt I didn't know Chris Rea was deep into Blues and Jazz..I did enjoy the hits on his CD, but I personally didn't like the remix last night.

I saw the concert in Brighton last night, and knew I had mistaken his music..Has a very strong voice and can carry this through the venue well..He changes guitars frequentley. He doesn't interact with the audience at all, if he does it is very short. Blues/Jazz dominated the duration...For those of you that like that kind of music,then I'm sure you will enjoy it. Mine is a personal negative feeling to last night and nothing judgemental to what is a talented musician in his own right and for that kind of sound..Just wasn't for us. Just wish I'd done my homework on his music career. Short episodes of rock came through that caught my attention but not enough for someone that loves rock. I hope you all enjoy, for those yet to go..
ace of hearts
REAddict
REAddict

Post by ace of hearts »

Shame it didn't live up to your expectations Maria. I guess you went on the basis of the hits rather than the last few releases by Chris. Looking at the European playlists it has been a mixture of old and new, can you recall what was played ? You say he didn't interact much, did he at least give the title of each track he played ? :)
Andy
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by Andy »

Went to brighton last night see review, Maria must say you cant expect an artist to play the same material all the time an artist must evolve and IMHO Chris has evolved into one of the blues greats Im only 30 and consider myself a faily young Rea fan, but that concert deserved to be sold out about 3 times over!
Bristol Lass

Bristol 11th April

Post by Bristol Lass »

I was surprised at how little interaction Chris had with the sell out audience, but the music was brilliant. I am a fan of his older stuff, and hadn't heard any of the newer bluesy stuff. I liked it, but it was rather too slow for a concert when there were 4 or 5 tracks of this type in a row.

However, this is a farewell show for a reason and rocking the rafters for 2 hours takes a serious amount of energy, so I was happy to just be there and enjoy the guitar skills and the voice. I enjoyed the new spin he put on some of the classics - very very clever.

Oh yes, can anyone say who the support act was? I turned up late and missed his name, but he was Irish, a crooner, playing spanish guitar. Sounds mad, but he was really good.
mama mia

Re: Bristol 11th April

Post by mama mia »

Bristol Lass wrote: Oh yes, can anyone say who the support act was? I turned up late and missed his name, but he was Irish, a crooner, playing spanish guitar. Sounds mad, but he was really good.
Paul Casey

http://www.paulcaseymusic.com

http://www.myspace.com/paulcasey

Enjoy :D
Bristol Lass

Post by Bristol Lass »

Thank you kindly Mama Mia, he'll get a sale from me :D
easy rider
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by easy rider »

The Brighton concert was absolutely superb, Chris is a genius. Pity Maria didn't enjoy it as he mixed the old and new superbly. Anyone who hasn't yet got the 11 CD Blue guitars compilation should. Even Maria may be taken by it. For the record having looked at the European play lists, the Brighton one was pretty much the same. He started I believe with Jazzy Blue from Blue Guitars, this was followed by two more from BG, he then did Josephine. The ballad 'Til the morning shines on my love and me was included as was the brilliant Easy Rider and of course Dancing down the Stony Road. The long version of I can hear your heartbeat and Stainsby Girls were worth the ticket price alone. If I could I'd see the concert again tomorrow I would. Anyway with a ticket for the remaining dates are in for a treat.

Enjoy
pam
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

Post by pam »

Hi everyone

Plymouth last night, 13 April :roll: The band members were great, Chris was gREAt!

After one of the most unassuming entrances to stage that I've ever seen, the first song (Jazzy Blue) was a bit disappointing - played too loud & fast for my liking, but on the whole a great evening with a mixture of old & new material. Playlist pretty much the same as listed in the 'playlist' thread. I could have listened to new stuff all night, but I was very nostalgic when the old red (pink?) guitar was used.

Brilliant encore - Fool if you think it's over :wink: , which reminds me - I was reading the programme of Auberge tour (1991) last night and in the interview given to Guitars Magazine, Chris was quoted as saying that ".. for a start, it's fair to say that the tour ... [Auberge]... will probably be [the] last as Chris Rea..."

Who knows :wink:

thanks for the music, Chris

Pam
Could it be just that I'm crazy
Could it be the way I feel