best recordings of the 2014 tour

Here you can read the latest tour news and reviews
tobi777
giga REA-fan
giga REA-fan

best recordings of the 2014 tour

Post by tobi777 »

Hi all,

for the first time in history we are able to have legal and good sounding recordings of (nearly) all gigs of the last tour. I'd like to buy a few of the mp3 recordings and would like to know which concerts were - in your opinion - the best ones.

I already have the Sheffield recording and was live in Berlin. While there were only minor changes in the setlist (LFTS / DHFC) I noticed some notable differences in Chris' singing, the solos etc.

Thanks for sharing your opinions!

REAgards
Tobias
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Re: best recordings of the 2014 tour

Post by andrew fischer »

Hi Tobias,

With some help from other fans, I was lucky to get 27 recorded gigs and managed to check out maybe a half of them.

Generally, all the recordings have real high quality and performances are supberb everywhere, I consider.

What stuck in my memory most of all, I think it was Antwerp, Sheffield, Bristol and Newcastle gigs.

Almost overall Antwerp recording is quite great, it has real loud and spacious sound (big Lotto Arena) and the only 'not so great' performances were The Road to Hell and On the Beach, other songs were absolutely superb. When I first heard it after listening to a dozen of other gigs before, I assumed it was the best one so far.

I reckon there was a very long and powerful version of Stony Road in Sheffield and Bristol, I also liked 61-49 from Bristol with Anto Drennan ZZtop-style solo. Morning Sun has fantastic ending solo on brown strat on English gigs. Newcastle is very atmospheric as it is kind of home arena for Chris, Driving Home from there is the most soulful version I think.

Looking for the Summer has breathtaking final solos on German gigs (Nuremberg, Dortmund, Dusseldorf). On the Beach sounded richer and brighter on early gigs I think (Salzburg, Prague). There were some quite great versions of Where the Blues Come From and Julia but I already cannot recall where exactly, sorry.

To sum up, I recommend Nuremberg, Antwerp and Newcastle. Not sure it is the best selection, but for me that's it. Hope that helps.

Best regards
Andrey
My VK fan page for Chris Rea in Russian: http://vk.com/chris_rea
Jim M
Support
Support

Post by Jim M »

Hi All
I've only heard a couple of the shows but I did order the Newcastle concert (mainly for driving home for Christmas). I had to order 1 even though it was over $50 Canadian just so I had it. The USB stick is amazing quality and a neat piece ! I definitely found the live concert very different this time. I can't quite put my finger on it but it was less raw & more of a "jazzy" sound (w/back up singers etc) -does that make sense ?
I enjoyed the concert very much but to my ear definitely a different sound than previous live shows I've heard.
Jim
Nothings Happening By The Sea
tobi777
giga REA-fan
giga REA-fan

Post by tobi777 »

Many thanks for your comments - these are really helpful!
REAgards
Tobias
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

Hi everyone,

listened to Birmingham recording recently and I must say the final keyboard solo by Neil Drinkwater is absolutely breathtaking - very long and birght. I think it was th best version in this tour.

By the way, the weakest of the performances I heard was the final concert in London. The sound engineer seemed to have statred to celebrate the ned of the tour wih booze before it actually ended - there are many spots with unequalized instruments and the overall sound is very unclear and heavy. Chris also seemed to be tired of long touring and his guitar solos were very measured.

I still think I have to write a full detailed review on this tour someday. Hope to post it soon.

best regards
Andrey
My VK fan page for Chris Rea in Russian: http://vk.com/chris_rea