The man The voice The guitar

'The DVD'

september blue
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

'The DVD'

Post by september blue »

I have just received the DVD, well thanks to all of the recent reviews, it was something I was really looking forward to getting.

After all these years when the real fans wanted a complete live product, finally it is here. It was amazing to see the documentary as in some ways it was quite sad to see the guitar tech getting emotional as he had been with Chris for so many years and it was all coming to an end. It was also amazing to see how well Chris is received on the continent. It really is amazing how people appreciate him so much. The types of concert he does in Europe with standing audiences is wonderful. I am very envious of those who got the concerts in this way and being followed by real fans to boot, it must have been great.

The first part of the DVD with the concert is so much better quality than the CD. I will not go in to my feelings on that side as I think enough people have had their say on that front! It really frustrates me that the vast majority of the crowd at the DVD gig were so animated they almost look bored, at one point during Stainsby Girls Chris looks at the crowd and only one or two people are really getting in to it, I wonder what he thought!, it makes me sick, such fantastic music and such a dull audience, even on Lets Dance most are sitting down. Over the years I have seen Chris play in large and small arenas and the atmosphere has been brilliant especially back in the late 80's and early 90's. We were up on our feet at the beginning, now it seems to be full of armchair supporters!! (ie. we've got Road to Hell in our collection, let's go and see him!!) funny when you think about it but that song got the loudest cheer at the beginning of the song!!! what a surprise!!!

Well, it is a fabulous reminder of the night we had and it will live with us forever. It was a very emotional night and I am so glad I was there.

I do not mean to moan but after so many years of totally loving the music and getting right into the whole scenario of the man who has brought me so much pleasure over the last 20 or so years it does annoy me, but then I like lots of music and some people I have seen I would not go again because I couldn't get into it, but hey ho!!!

On a final note I think I will go to Germany next time I see him in the Fireflies!! See you there!!!!................standing at the front!!!!
Nothing's happening by the sea!
elangelo
REAddict
REAddict

Re: 'The DVD'

Post by elangelo »

september blue wrote:I have just received the DVD, well thanks to all of the recent reviews, it was something I was really looking forward to getting.

After all these years when the real fans wanted a complete live product, finally it is here. It was amazing to see the documentary as in some ways it was quite sad to see the guitar tech getting emotional as he had been with Chris for so many years and it was all coming to an end. It was also amazing to see how well Chris is received on the continent. It really is amazing how people appreciate him so much. The types of concert he does in Europe with standing audiences is wonderful. I am very envious of those who got the concerts in this way and being followed by real fans to boot, it must have been great.

The first part of the DVD with the concert is so much better quality than the CD. I will not go in to my feelings on that side as I think enough people have had their say on that front! It really frustrates me that the vast majority of the crowd at the DVD gig were so animated they almost look bored, at one point during Stainsby Girls Chris looks at the crowd and only one or two people are really getting in to it, I wonder what he thought!, it makes me sick, such fantastic music and such a dull audience, even on Lets Dance most are sitting down. Over the years I have seen Chris play in large and small arenas and the atmosphere has been brilliant especially back in the late 80's and early 90's. We were up on our feet at the beginning, now it seems to be full of armchair supporters!! (ie. we've got Road to Hell in our collection, let's go and see him!!) funny when you think about it but that song got the loudest cheer at the beginning of the song!!! what a surprise!!!

Well, it is a fabulous reminder of the night we had and it will live with us forever. It was a very emotional night and I am so glad I was there.

I do not mean to moan but after so many years of totally loving the music and getting right into the whole scenario of the man who has brought me so much pleasure over the last 20 or so years it does annoy me, but then I like lots of music and some people I have seen I would not go again because I couldn't get into it, but hey ho!!!

On a final note I think I will go to Germany next time I see him in the Fireflies!! See you there!!!!................standing at the front!!!!
Well... actually I agree, but just wanted to say that I never really liked "Stainsby Girls" (although the guitar at the gig was excellent and then I also know why he always sings it...) or "Let's Dance" (again, the instrumental part was cool) - i AM a fan but I like songs like "Miles is a Cigarrette" or "Blue Morning in the Rain", and I think it could be people like that. But the loudest cheer on "The Road to Hell" - you're right. And people actually ain't got a clue why he wrote this song. It's just what Chris said on interviews: he hates it when they hear "On The Beach" and start dancing, though dancing wasn't the point. Misunderstanding is just typical for masses, if you know what I mean.
Don't cry, baby don't cry
The worst is gone....
september blue
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

the dvd

Post by september blue »

Thanks for your reply, I have to say I'm glad it's not only me!! I also like the old songs and at present am right into Tennis. I remember years ago when he used to begin the concerts with 'Nothings happening by the sea' just such a great song and very atmospheric too. So many memories and such great music for all to enjoy. So much more to talk about aswell!!

Speak again soon,
Jutta
Translator
Translator

Re: the dvd

Post by Jutta »

Hello everybody!

I´ve got a question. This year was the first time I saw Chris live. And I wonder, if this concert was much different from his older ones. What was so particular about it, when so many people (include himself) say it was his best? (besides the fact that he plays more blues). Did he changed his guitars in former concerts as often as he did in his last one?

Bye and have a nice Sunday!

Jutta
september blue
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

the dvd

Post by september blue »

Hello,

It is not so much of a case of the music, that has always been great. Although on the Auberge tour or maybe on the Gods Great Banana Skin tour (I can't remember which one it was!) when the brass band was used, which in my view was a bit dodgy, the general mood of the audience was so much more fun and lively. I do not think for one moment that the European concerts have ever been anything but lively in this way if the dvd documentary is anything to go by.

When I first went to see him at Wembley (London) in 1988 the only guitars used were pinky, bluey and possibly a brown one too?

I think my ultimate point is that I believe Chris' music is more than just toe tapping stuff! I prefer to get into the music more, maybe I am wrong?................What do others think??
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Jutta wrote:Hello everybody!

I´ve got a question. This year was the first time I saw Chris live. And I wonder, if this concert was much different from his older ones. What was so particular about it, when so many people (include himself) say it was his best? (besides the fact that he plays more blues). Did he changed his guitars in former concerts as often as he did in his last one?

Jutta
Hi Jutta,I hope your enjoying the DVD.I can assure you that this was the BEST ever.His style in this concert was completly different.I remember on the Banana Skin Tour in '93 Chris used the guitars that September Blue mentions above.I don't remember a brass band .He didn't interact with the audience at all, he never said 1 word during the whole concert.He had backing singers too.In fact do you see what September Blue says in this post?.It was that type of concert.If you wanted to dance you could and there were more people dancing than there were sitting down.The place was alive were as in this concert the audience were very quite. I think this time we got exactly how Chris wanted all the songs to be sung and that was a 1st.At least it was for me.90's Blues was the only blue I remember him singing in '93 which is not as pure as the blues Chris sings now.I can't remember much about '84 which is a pity.I remember Chris singing alright and Fool was sung like it is on the album New Light .... but the style of this concert was so much better. Have a great Sunday
Regards
Tina :D :D
Pick up the pieces and start again.
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

Jutta wrote:Hello everybody!

Jutta
----------------

Hello everyone,
I kind of like this discussion on DVD and different atmosphere at Chris Rea's concerts in the past.
I remember a few concerts from Munich, in the 80's. The audiences, each time, were on their feet the moment he began to play, inside the Deutsches Museum as well as at the Olympic Ice Stadium-turned concert hall. The mood was completely different then, from what we saw on the DVD. It was more like the documentary glimpses of "Farewell Tour's'"concerts in Budapest or St. Petersburg.
The audience filmed at Birmingham Symphony Hall, was indeed (almost) "motionless" for most of the concert. But there was a good side to it: there were no screams, background noise nor whistling in the mature, well behaved audience. The sound recorded - that way - was so much better....
In the 80's, as far as I remember, Chris played mostly his red and blue guitars; the pinky and the bluey....

I mean, we all have aged (excuse me: the ladies haven't aged at all!), ever since Chris began his career, therefore one shouldn't expect too many young people at his gigs.
The "Stansby Girls", "I Can Hear Your Heartbeat", "Josephine" and many other titles were the songs we grew with, so to speak. Chris wanted to play them once more to please his audiences, to say "farewell."
I also like the more nostalgic songs which stimulate one's imagination. But "Stansby Girls" is a nostalgic song, indeed. That's where Chris met his future wife, after all. I mean, every song performed brought memories to Chris as well as to the audience, I guess.

Over the weekend I had more time to view the DVD; the music as well as the documentary discs. The more I see them, the more I enjoy them.
Chris's remarks are very interesting. In Moscow, for instance, looking at the Kremlin from his hotel room, he quipped that he doesn't know ("it's beyond me") "why they (the Russians) want to be like the Americans." In St. Petersburg he said that "the country that made watches for blind people couldn't be this bad (after all)...." Well, these and other remarks are giving us clues to his way of looking at the world. He is surprised (I think in a positive sense) that ever since the collapse of communism, the countries in all of Europe are "just places to play another gig", with the same type of (or similar) services, hotels, restaurants, stores, and yes: the people! His admires, his fans are everywhere. I wouldn't claim though, that his music was better perceived in any particular place, but definitely: there were differences between audiences, here and there.
Best regards to you all,
Chris
september blue
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

the dvd

Post by september blue »

Excellent to see all the replies to this subject. I have thought long and hard over the weekend about this and I have 2 more points to put over....

Firstly Chris, back in the late 80's and early 90's was told so much more by the record company what to do. I remember him on a documentary saying about The Road To Hell album being 2 sides whereas the record company looked at it as one cd!

Secondly, thinking about it I know that if most of us were filmed our actions maybe a bit different!! Perhaps hidden cameras? Although I can't see Chris Rea doing reality tv....can you!!!!!!!

I do agree that the songs were as HE wanted them and it was perfect in its entirety....
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

elangelo wrote:
september blue wrote:I have just received the DVD, well thanks to all of the recent reviews, it was something I was really looking forward to getting.

Well... actually I agree, but just wanted to say that I never really liked "Stainsby Girls" (although the guitar at the gig was excellent and then I also know why he always sings it...) or "Let's Dance" (again, the instrumental part was cool) - i AM a fan but I like songs like "Miles is a Cigarrette" or "Blue Morning in the Rain", and I think it could be people like that. But the loudest cheer on "The Road to Hell" - you're right. And people actually ain't got a clue why he wrote this song. It's just what Chris said on interviews: he hates it when they hear "On The Beach" and start dancing, though dancing wasn't the point. Misunderstanding is just typical for masses, if you know what I mean.
Hi everyone here!

I read all the posts here and after all that's what I can say.

The same as Elangelo does I don't like Lets' Dance or Stainsby Girls so much, though now that we all can't imagine Chris not playing them at hios gigs as thw reaspn are obvious. I really prefer slower and more melodical kinds of Chris's work to a kind of Let's Dance and so on.
I've seen many Chris's earl gigs and remember the audience and the live atmosphere - it's oh so different from we saw and felt recently.
Don't forget that the main part of the latest gigs was dedicated to the hardcore blues pieces, so how do you see, with all your, even the wildest, imagination the standing audience feeling the deepest blue Chris played?
Moreover, in St. Petersburg securities did not allow to move from the chairs at all(!!!) and behaved like watchdogs! I "danced" on my chair to "...Heartbeat", but the same time I quietly and thoughtfully (or better to say - soulfully) listened to "Where the Blues Come From" and so on. And so did the others at the front of the stage. I like to listen to such music exactly in this way. This summer I refused to go to Sting's gig 'coz there wes no parteur, only dancefloor. I can't imagine modern Sting within the gig dancefloor! And the same with modern Chris's music. I believe I could get fine crazy dancing to Chris's 90's gigs, but not today.
If I want to have an energy shower, I would go to a gig of Rammstein, Nightwish or something like that. When I gonna entirely enjoy perfect music sounds, that are close to my soul - I would have an armchair at the front middle of the stage, where the sound is the best, and sit, living out all the feelings inside of me, and demostrating my emotinos very easily.
I can't change it, anyhow or anyway.

Thanks to everyone here.
Best regards,
&ru
My VK fan page for Chris Rea in Russian: http://vk.com/chris_rea
squonkie

Post by squonkie »

I received the DVD some days ago, and it's awesome!
I've been a Chris Rea fan since Auberge, although I've bought his back catalogue and I love Dancing with strangers and On the Beach too...
This DVD is really good, the documentary is fantastic, I got to know CR better than I imagined.
I was wondering how to see the bonus track but then I discovered it on the german site. Just put the mouse over chris rea name and it will appear...

Sometimes I wish I lived in germany so I could see all these great concerts...
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

squonkie wrote:I received the DVD some days ago, and it's awesome!
I've been a Chris Rea fan since Auberge, although I've bought his back catalogue and I love Dancing with strangers and On the Beach too...
This DVD is really good, the documentary is fantastic, I got to know CR better than I imagined.
I was wondering how to see the bonus track but then I discovered it on the german site. Just put the mouse over chris rea name and it will appear...

Sometimes I wish I lived in germany so I could see all these great concerts...
Hello Squonkie,
Well all I can say is that you are in the right place if you like C.R.The people who visit this site are really nice.The DVD is the only Live DVD that Chris has and it is brillent.We better make the most of it cause I think it will be the last too.Have you checked out the other DVD Stony Road? which is brillent too.It's not a live show but it is very interesting to watch.You don't say were you are from but have you never seen Chris live?
His 'old' material which is material before Chris changed to blues is so different that his music now and is every bit as good.Dancing With Strangers is 1 of my favourates especially Going To Buy a Hat.I think this shows some of Chris's sense of homour.Keep in touch.
Regards
Tina :)
Pick up the pieces and start again.
RichardB
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

DVD

Post by RichardB »

Best Christmas present by far! Still trying to find the bonus track Fool if
you think it's over. I also dont know why people sit there like inanimate objects at concerts.My best was at the Shepherds Bush Empire also
standing at the front.
All the best for 2007 for everyone who uses this site,[except for the perverts!]
Zeljko
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by Zeljko »

In the second dvd..in the beginning...when Chris enters behind the stage, and security man didnt recognise him..i just cant believe that!! :D Chris had to say.."Im Chris Rea..." :D

God I wish I was that security guy and shake Chris hand and hug him!!! :D

Z
www.zeljkoart.com
chrismiller
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by chrismiller »

Zeljko wrote:In the second dvd..in the beginning...when Chris enters behind the stage, and security man didnt recognise him..i just cant believe that!! :D Chris had to say.."Im Chris Rea..." :D
Yeah that's great, ha ha. "Ah... Chris Rea... looking for the catering..." I had to watch it three times in a row to believe. :lol:
Chris
You can waste a whole lifetime trying to be what you think that's expected of you
But you'll never be free.
fredfournier36

Post by fredfournier36 »

Hi,
just a question concerning the DVD,

during the guitar Solo on "the Road to Hell part 2 " we see Chris playing rytmic guitar. No body seems to play the solo????
During KKK Blues, vincent play guitar, who play the bass????

Thanks