The man The voice The guitar

Gone Fishing lyrics

Here you can discus Chris' lyrics
Hayley_rench

Gone Fishing lyrics

Post by Hayley_rench »

Hey,
Im Hayley from brisbane, Australia. My dad was a Chris Rea fan, I was pretty much bought up on his music. A few months ago my dad died of cancer, and at his service we played the gone fishing song. Before he passed he told us girls never to think of him as dead, just to think that he has gone fishing. He loved that song. I was just trying to find tabs for the song so as I could learn to play it on guitar, does anyone know what they are? i also heard that chris has got cancer himself, which is really bloody sad. does anyone know what his lyrics were about? what he was going through at the stage when he wrote that song?
thanks,
Hayley.
Gone Fishing....
Jutta
Translator
Translator

Re: Gone Fishing lyrics

Post by Jutta »

Hayley_rench wrote:Hey,
Im Hayley from brisbane, Australia. My dad was a Chris Rea fan, I was pretty much bought up on his music. A few months ago my dad died of cancer, and at his service we played the gone fishing song. Before he passed he told us girls never to think of him as dead, just to think that he has gone fishing. He loved that song. I was just trying to find tabs for the song so as I could learn to play it on guitar, does anyone know what they are? i also heard that chris has got cancer himself, which is really bloody sad. does anyone know what his lyrics were about? what he was going through at the stage when he wrote that song?
thanks,
Hayley.

Hello Hayley,

I feel very sorry for your father. It must be very hard for you. But maybe it´s a little comfort to you that you can still share this song with him.
I found on Ronald´s website this part of an interview where Chris comments the fishing-song:

To quote him (or at first I think it´s the interviewer):
"The song 'Gone Fishing', I know a lot of people have remarked to me they have listened to the record, "I like that song, that's what we should do, just go fishing, forget about everything".

(now, this is Chris:)
The funny thing about that song is as I say in the song, I don't know anything about fishing. he bottom line of the tune is that when you get to the last day of your life and you look back, and you see how many hours you've spent in traffic-jams, pushing and shoving, how many hours you've spent elbowing people out of the way and being elbowed out of the way; You just thing to yourself I wish I had all them hours back, cos I may as well have gone fishing."

To my knowledge Chris hasn´t had cancer. It was "just" an inflammation of his pancreas, but serious as well.

To the tabs I can´t help. Have you searched in the internet?

Bye
Yours Jutta
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Jutta wrote:
Hayley_rench wrote:Hey,
thanks,
Hayley.

Hello Hayley,

I feel very sorry for your father. It must be very hard for you. But maybe it´s a little comfort to you that you can still share this song with him.
I found on Ronald´s website this part of an interview where Chris comments the fishing-song:

To quote him (or at first I think it´s the interviewer):
"The song 'Gone Fishing', I know a lot of people have remarked to me they have listened to the record, "I like that song, that's what we should do, just go fishing, forget about everything".

(now, this is Chris:)
The funny thing about that song is as I say in the song, I don't know anything about fishing. he bottom line of the tune is that when you get to the last day of your life and you look back, and you see how many hours you've spent in traffic-jams, pushing and shoving, how many hours you've spent elbowing people out of the way and being elbowed out of the way; You just thing to yourself I wish I had all them hours back, cos I may as well have gone fishing."

To my knowledge Chris hasn´t had cancer. It was "just" an inflammation of his pancreas, but serious as well.

To the tabs I can´t help. Have you searched in the internet?

Bye
Yours Jutta
Hello Hayley,
My heart goes out to you at this very sad time in your life,my sympathy to you and yours.Jutta has helped with part of your inquiry and I hope this will help you somemore.I have found a website which lists the tabs you are interested in.I have no way of known if it is the exact item you are looking for, however it's the best I could find.This is the link to the site:

http://www.sheetmusicworld.co.uk/page/s ... ory_id/100
Kind Regards
Tina
Pick up the pieces and start again.
ronald
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by ronald »

I do have the songbook, i could make some scans of the pages with the 'gone fishing' song. Please let me know if you want me to do this!
My Chris Rea page: http://www.chrisrea.biz
Bruphie
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by Bruphie »

Same as Ronald here...

my parents visited me for christmas, so I asked them to bring me the Auberge song book that I kept in my "teenager" bedroom. So I have it just near me now and I can send you the Gone Fishing pages if you want.
dmytrobryushkov
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by dmytrobryushkov »

Gone Fishing- is one of the most beautiful songs of Chris. I am addicted to angling, and can tell, that this song perfectly shows the feeling, experienced during quite time on the lake's beach, when rising sun paints the morning skies in the tender color, birds are singing and you watching so desirable movements of your bobber or shaking of the tip of your bait-cast rod. I wandered, is the gREAt Master also big fishing fan, as it looks? I already asked him about this in his Facebook, but did not have an answer. Even if is not an angler, it looks, as he would like it. If you listen his another nice tune- "Catfish girl" 2004, and you would have no doubts any more.
P.S. In June 2010 I had nice time in town Falmouth (Cape Cod), Massachusetts and participated in deep ocean fishing from party boat. At the top of the boat was written: "I'm going fishing I got me a line". It was a surprise, as not many people in North America ever heard any Chris Rea's songs.
italian128

Post by italian128 »

I read that Hayley was asking what the song 'Gone Fishing' was about. Someone replied with an answer & even quoted Chris. Traffic jam??? The first time hearing that beautiful song it is so painfully obvious that one is fishing for another relationship--life with unhappy partner. He ponders the end of his life & if one 'fishes' one could have peace & most good people try to do the right thing in life but never find freedom & at times live in misery. The amazing slide guitar is so sad, almost crying (as I was when I first heard it & I very much related) Many people thought this is what this song was about. Maybe he should not be asked what all his songs mean & he does not really owe anyone an explanation. Maybe people should just enjoy his beautiful voice, heartfelt lyrics, amazing music, & true emotion.
True happiness, inner peace, good health & longevity to Chris.