The man The voice The guitar

Olympia, Paris, February 1st, 2008

JC1973
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Olympia, Paris, February 1st, 2008

Post by JC1973 »

Very good show, BUT, it's approximately the same show I saw two years ago in Brussels. In the exception of THE DELMONTS' part. It's a shame to release a new 3CD box set and play only 2 songs from that one (in the exception of THE DELMONTS' part...). Robert played almost all the solos...

SETLIST:
Part I : THE DELMONTS
1 Dirty Old Town
2 008 Jimmy Bond
3 India Arab
4 Theme From The Pink Guitar
5 Russian Roulette
6 Black Wave Hero's
7 French Football
8 BB Was A Comanche
9 It's Behind You

Part II : THE HOFNER BLUENOTES
10 I Can't Wait For Love
11 Jazzy Blue (not sure of that one)
12 Where The Blues Come From
13 Josephine
14 Easy Rider
15 Julia
16 Stony Road
17 Looking For The Summer
18 Shadow Of A Fool
19 Stainsby Girls
20 The Road To Hell (Parts I & II)

RAPPEL
21 On The Beach
22 Let's Dance

Chris Rea (Guitar)
Colin Hodgkinson (Bass)
Neil Drinkwater (Keyboards)
Martin Ditcham (Drums)
Robert Ahwai (Guitar)
Bart
Webmaster
Webmaster

Re: Olympia, Paris, February 1st, 2008

Post by Bart »

JC1973 wrote:Very good show, BUT, it's approximately the same show I saw two years ago in Brussels. In the exception of THE DELMONTS' part. It's a shame to release a new 3CD box set and play only 2 songs from that one (in the exception of THE DELMONTS' part...). Robert played almost all the solos...
That is very strange indeed... :( :( :(
JC1973 wrote: SETLIST:
RAPPEL
21 On The Beach
22 Let's Dance
No "Fool (if you...)" ??
REAgards, Bart (webmaster)
JC1973
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by JC1973 »

No "Fool", although we (the crowd) were very excited at the end of the show, there were many people stand up when the lights were turn in, many acclamations in the crowd, but no, no second encore, what a shame.

The box set was on sale for the price of 59 €, so I decided to wait a few days and order it on the web.
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

Hi all,
I just hope Chris will adjust his play list, after his initial concerts in Luxembourg and Paris, as soon as the box-set goes on sale everywhere. It's kind of hard to promote something that is not yet offered in any format, I guess.
This box-set should have gone on sale before Christmas or in early January. A 59 Euro is definitely not a promotional price either.
What I was hoping for, were clear three (3) separate parts on this concert tour: the Delmonts, the FHBN and the "old" Chris, for his old time followers. In fact, that's exactly what Chris was suggesting in several interviews, if I remember correctly. Only three songs from his last earBook at any gig are far too little.
Best regards to all,
Chris
Peter S...
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by Peter S... »

Hi,

Two clips from Paris are now on YouTube:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_xwmch4k-jU

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-t5NEk2IdgI

There are four clips from Luxemborg on YouTube...

Peter S..
Between the eyes of love I call your name
Behind the guarded walls I used to go
Upon a summer wind there's a certain melody
Takes me back to the place that I know
Down on the beach
littlecouinie
cREAtive fan
cREAtive fan

Post by littlecouinie »

hello everybody it was the first gig with mister Rea I ever seen
it was really fabulous i know everysecind of the road to hell and back and i can tell you it's realy good stuff
I uploaded 2 videos on you tube I made yesterday evening I felt Chris stressed during the first part the delmonts He was nont very at ease i understand that we have to be tolerats i explain you YThe one who play music with audience will undertstand wht I want to say: when you study or learn or write a song the first times you play it , you are always afraid to forget lyrics, to be wrong with notes and so on . After some time you have just to ply it with pleasure because it's so well in yur head that there is no mistake possible the music is played like a river flow in its bed I know very well what happen beacause I play piano in a band we have always a sort of fever when we play new songs and afeter several times we feel out of stress Do i am clear?
to come back to the gig ,it's surprising to hear the delmont it's realy the music I heard when i was 10 years old
It's a real titan work he does as for blue guitar to find the sound of sixties : rythm, special soefect on guitars and the songs structures with every time a geat sens of humor as is his caracter 008 Jimmy bond for exemple it's sound as the track old film yes but no inspiration but not copy the same in the 2 cd "let getaway" with BB king and
because it's you JJ cale
and so on
Just I regret Paul Hirsh on piano Neil is good but Paul is really more good for the chorus (for exemple on josephine I miss him ..)
Julia is different from the farewell tour well it's all good too it's seem that the lyrics are longer ?
this is my feeling so you are free not to agree but we express our feeling about music thinking of all we have learnt and appreciated all along our life so....
keep the blues alive
bREAth of blues
Littlecouinie
waouh pour chris rea
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

Hi Couinie! Glad you enjoyed the show :D
Which are your 2 new videos in YouTube? I don't see them on your site. (I'm also subscribed to it)

Maybe you could post a link Here? :D

Lily
littlecouinie
cREAtive fan
cREAtive fan

Post by littlecouinie »

waouh pour chris rea
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

Thank you Littlecouinie for these videos from Paris' "Olympia."
I gathered from you post that the concert wasn't that bad after all.
Looking forward to Chris' gig in Warsaw on February 20.
Regards to you,
Chris
littlecouinie
cREAtive fan
cREAtive fan

Post by littlecouinie »

hello chris
I am absolutly sad about the need of some one to see always bad things every second this guy give to the Music (not fo us it's not the subject)
we are fans that mean we take what he give
with his illness , (I am ok with David) he sould be dead so it's all bonus ..
Well when he sarted with new songs it was funny he seemed to be stressed , concentrated and serious without a world as if he was afraid of our reactions I relly feel this !
and after the half an our of delmonts true sixties , he startd with blues new one and old one mixed with new arrangements too
have you a private mail I have something to tell you ? send it to my own adress in my profile
thanks
bREAth of blues
Littlecouinie
waouh pour chris rea
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

Littlecouinie, thank you for your reply. I think I know now what you had in mind by explaining how it is in a concert, how stressful it it to try to play a new song without being certain of the text as well as the reaction of the public. And yes, you're absolutely right, we should be thankful that he still performs for us.
Take care,
Chris
JC1973
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by JC1973 »

A fan who was at the Luxembourg's show the day before told me that it was probably not "Jazzee Blue" which was played, but "Legacy Blue". So I made a rectification on the setlist I mentioned yesterday.

SETLIST:
Part I : THE DELMONTS
1 Dirty Old Town
2 008 Jimmy Bond
3 India Arab
4 Theme From The Pink Guitar
5 Russian Roulette
6 Black Wave Hero's
7 French Football
8 BB Was A Comanche
9 It's Behind You

Part II : THE HOFNER BLUENOTES
10 I Can't Wait For Love
11 Legacy Blue
12 Where The Blues Come From
13 Josephine
14 Easy Rider
15 Julia
16 Stony Road
17 Looking For The Summer
18 Shadow Of A Fool
19 Stainsby Girls
20 The Road To Hell (Parts I & II)

RAPPEL
21 On The Beach
22 Let's Dance

I loved the music that was broadcasted before the show, I think it's the same program for every show, "Sitting on the dock of the bay" from Otis Redding, "Waterloo Sunset" from the Kinks, etc... and did someone hear "Rocky Mountain Way" from Joe Walsh ? That's the proof that the artists often chose the music before their show. It wasn't an hazard to hear that particular song before a Chris Rea's show...
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

Thanks for the videos Couinie! :D
I am absolutly sad about the need of some one to see always bad things every second this guy give to the Music (not fo us it's not the subject)
we are fans that mean we take what he give
with his illness
I totally agree! At least on this site we don't complain about Chris, we support him, as true Rea fans :D

Lily
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

Hello everybody,
Salut les Français,

There are my photos and videos of the fabulous Olympia's concert.
You can download these here :

Photos :

http://www.megaupload.com/fr/?d=4BWCQJYH

Vidéos :

http://www.megaupload.com/fr/?d=WH4Q0HF0

http://www.megaupload.com/fr/?d=D7VLOSYE

http://www.megaupload.com/fr/?d=UC7VD2L0