The man The voice The guitar

HBN Concerts Capacity

tobi777
giga REA-fan
giga REA-fan

Re: HBN Concerts Capacity

Post by tobi777 »

Hello,

although Chris' latter songs like "Stony Road" have been received by the audience like old friends (which is quite astonishing compared to the reception during his 2002 tour...) his new musical direction lacks big radio hits and mass compatibility. Many people who attend a pop concert are not die hard fans. They like a hit that got some airplay and visit a concert. I think this is the main reason for playing small venues - with the exception of Eastern Europe where he still plays in fairly big halls (correct me if I'm mistaken).

I'm not saying this development is unpleasing - I always like it much better not only to hear the artists but also see them on the stage - and not some "ants on a matchbox" like Mark Knopfler once said ;-)
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

Hi Tobias,

You're absolutely right. It's not a question whether he can or cannot fill a big hall, or anything like that. Chris said himself that, from now on (after his "farewell tour"), he wanted to play small venues.
In Warsaw he played several times at the Sala Kongresowa (the Congress Hall), in the Stalinist-times "Palace of Culture and Science" (now considered officially 'a landmark', therefore it cannot be legally dismantle!)
The Congress Hall can host only given number of people and Warsaw, unfortunately, until this date, dos not have any other decent concert hall, I must say.
As far as the lack of hits, well there are several nice songs on his HBN earBook, but they are not of "the Road to Hell" scope. That's why Chris plays on this tour "something for everyone." So, I would not object so much to the choice of the tunes. All in all, the concert was great.
And his concert in either St. Petersburg or Moscow, as far as I know, are usually sold out - even though the halls are bigger there - since he has a big army of followers in Russia.
Best regards to you,
Chris
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

Hi Chris

Unfortunately, I have to disappoint you about russian fans.
There are only few die-hard fans in Russia, most of them I know well.
Last time Chris's been to St.Peters I was THE ONLY ONE who really wanted to meet Chris closely and waited for it by the backstage entrance. In Moscow this amount of people was two... :?

For the masses, Chris is obviously a pop-artist :( Only some musicians and audiomans know him as a blues guitarist. That's why me and my fan-friends fear so much about audience reaction on the 1st part with Delmomts. People come to hear ''road to hell'', ''and yo my love'', ''blue cafe'' and so on as they all are used to hearing it on radios and simple best-of compilations, and they want to hear these "pop-hits" the same way they are used to. And I suppose it will cause the deadful silence and holy fingershaking with total misundarstanding what's goin' on while The Delmonts play instrumentals...
I remember how it was last time while Jazzee Blue was played and so on... Only Josephine solved the public's confusion.

Most of listeners who'll come are smart daddies with no passion but with their women, and mean musical critics (or those who consider themselves to be well experinced here).
Very few young people...
Very very very few devoted fans.... :(
My VK fan page for Chris Rea in Russian: http://vk.com/chris_rea
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

By the way: :D

St.Petersburg October Grand Concert Hall (BKZ Oktyabrsky): capacity 3760 seats, most likely sold out, except very expensive and most uncomfortable places.

Moscow Luzhniki Concert Hall: capacity 7000, tickets selling very bad, too expensive prices... :(
My VK fan page for Chris Rea in Russian: http://vk.com/chris_rea
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

andrew fischer wrote:By the way: :D

St.Petersburg October Grand Concert Hall (BKZ Oktyabrsky): capacity 3760 seats, most likely sold out, except very expensive and most uncomfortable places.

Moscow Luzhniki Concert Hall: capacity 7000, tickets selling very bad, too expensive prices... :(
--------------

Hi Andrew,

I'm deeply disenchanted as far as the number of Chris Rea's fans in Russia. I was convinced the Russian public was very much in love with his music and that he had quite a number of fans there, especially after he switched to blues in the last couple of years, but I see now I was wrong. Well, I just hope you will have a chance to meet Chris in St. Petersburg. And if you do have that chance, please ask him from me why he hasn't played "Candles" in Warsaw?
It would have been a wonderful present for us, in Poland.
You're right that the prices for the official paraphernalia as well as the tickets are rather steep as for as East European standards. On the other hand (and that's a valid argument) nobody is forcing anyone to go and see him play.

When Chris goes to Germany, he always performs to pack houses in several cities. On this tour, there was almost no publicity at all, yet he played on Wednesday to a pack house in Warsaw. The very next day, one of of the leading newspapers said: "Poles (apparently) still love Chris Rea."

So, have a great time at the St. Petersburg gig.
Take care,
Chris
chrismiller
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by chrismiller »

Hey everyone,

The capacity of Budapest Sport Arena is maximum 12,500 but on March 3 the 'little' seated-standed layout will be used, without the top seating sectors, that means 8,000 people. (!)
The Farewell concert was held there, too, and it was almost sold out.
Anyway, I just can't wait to see Chris again, last time it was a fantastic, double-encored show with great audience attitude. So, countdown, 9 days left. :)

Chris
You can waste a whole lifetime trying to be what you think that's expected of you
But you'll never be free.
perymason
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by perymason »

Hello everyone!

BULGARIA, 05.03.2008 - Hall No1 in National Palace Of Culture, 3 500 seats capacity - sold out from two weeks! :wink: :D
Cheers!!!
alain55
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by alain55 »

Bart wrote:
pizzaaddi wrote: If its the reason why Chris is booking smaller halls ? Dont know. he attrackts an other (perhaps a bit less) audience then back in the "old" days, and someone has to pay for renting the hall :D
Well people, let's not play hide-and-seek about it. In those old days, the 80's and 90's of last century, we were there as well, in these big audiences. Today we're still there, but a lot of those couples in the old days,where are they ? We're all getting older. Look, I'm 57 as well, and I like to go to a concert. I was lucky this time, Antwerp is my own downtown. But a lot of seniors won't do the trip...
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

Hi everybody! :D

Pretty please, post the capacity on the UK tours!

Thanks,

Lily B.
Peter S...
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by Peter S... »

Hi Lily B,

Glasgow Royal Concert Hall :- Capacity 2500

http://www.glasgowconcerthalls.com/

Edinburgh Playhouse :- Capacity 3056

http://www.edinburghplayhouse.org.uk

Regards,

Peter S...
Between the eyes of love I call your name
Behind the guarded walls I used to go
Upon a summer wind there's a certain melody
Takes me back to the place that I know
Down on the beach
alain55
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by alain55 »

Hey Beautiful People.....,

What exactly are we trying to prove here ????
If an artist, in his late fifties, can sing and play before audiences in the thousands, time after time, 3-4 times a week, all over Europe..... hey? wouldn't you all call this a big success ?
And if in countries behind the old iron curtain, there is no real passion, but just a feeling of "we should be there", what's been changed after all those centuries ? Be cool, be serious, and be honest...
For us, diehard fans, Chris is great, so, let's enjoy it all. The old songs, the new songs....
And LilyB, sorry, but ... ain't the music much more important than audience figures ? It all depends, I suppose, but I prefer a good guessing match about a song, the lyrics, and the "hidden meanings" behind words....
But, don't get angry with me, I enjoy the good company here, of all the fans, worldwide. Kiss to you all.
Alain
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

Hey Alan,

Personally, I'm not "trying to prove anything" with the concerts figures.

I am a Chris Rea fan and I just want details about Concerts, lyrics, albums, ect.

Cheers,

Lily B.
Last edited by lilybee on 27 May 2008, 05:28, edited 1 time in total.
alain55
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by alain55 »

[quote="lilybee"]Hey Alan,
I am a die-hard Chris Rea fan

Hey, Little B,
( you won't get mad at me I hope, 'cos I keep calling you Little B ?? It's my pet name for you.)

I understand your passion, I just keep to the music, and also stories about the man, relating to the music.

Greetings, and love