The man The voice The guitar

CR Guitars

Anything about guitars, the recording equipment, playing techniques and everything else…
alan1958
guitaREA
guitaREA

Re: CR Guitars

Post by alan1958 »

tobi777 wrote:Hi all,

I think Robert Ahwai plays "Blade" guitars nowadays (since the 90's actually). In the 80's he played Fender Strats with Rosebood Fingerboards.

REAgards,

Tobias
Tobias & PAB ,I owe you a beer ( And an apology ) , because I think I was wrong about R.Ahwai playing a Strat , as I have now looked more closely , and it certainly does not say Fender on the head , so it MUST be a Blade !!

I have found this article on the Swiss made guitars , to help people (Like me :? jumping to conclusions ) , where the guitarist says "Do you ever watch a concert on tv and think "He's playin a Strat" then "No he's not, whats that?" Odds are it is one of these........ A 1989 Swiss Made Levinson Blade. It is a RH1. "

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur ... n%26sa%3DN
eddierose0608
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

Post by eddierose0608 »

chrismiller wrote:
3. ESP Italia Maranello Classic:
what I wouldnt do to get one of these beautys. As a Les Paul lover I have got to admit this is almost as beautiful as the Les Paul itself. It looks smaller and lighter so its probably easier to play. But might not give the heavier tone of a LP. But my god its a beautiful looking guitar. Im looking for somewhere that stocks these in the UK so I can try one and then hopefully purchase one.
PAB
cREAtive fan
cREAtive fan

Post by PAB »

Hello,

A Maranello ..... here for example,

http://www.arbiter.co.uk/italia/index.htm

:D
chrismiller
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by chrismiller »

Hey Eddie,

First of all welcome on board :)

Secondly I think the link Pab's posted above can be the most useful one to find a place where you can buy an Italia guitar.
In addition, if you ever get to London, let me tell you that as far as we know CR bought his four Maranellos in Denmark Street. The related article can be read on Italia's official page; you can find the link in my post of the Maranello guitar.

All the best,
Chris
You can waste a whole lifetime trying to be what you think that's expected of you
But you'll never be free.
eddierose0608
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

Post by eddierose0608 »

Thanks for that website! its very handy its given me and idea of a price and next time im in newcastle I will deffinately pop into the shop and try one.
Thanks again
edx
PAB
cREAtive fan
cREAtive fan

Post by PAB »

Hi Eddie, welcome to the club.
About the Maranello (I have the grey sparkle):
1. it sounds! clear and round, especially with the neck pick up (made for the Blues);
2. it's a pleasure in hands, I love my Fender Strat, but the Italia is more fun; that's the one I take first, always;
3. if you buy it, prepare yourself to some ... :shock: Wouaw ... What is this for a guit... Where did you.... :o How much did you s... No ...

PAb :lol:
eddierose0608
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

Post by eddierose0608 »

Hehe, I could never really get into strats, I do want one though, If I get one Im gonna paint it in bright colours in tye dye style. 8)
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

...or you could just get a custom pickguard for it....

http://www.shop.coloriffic.com/product. ... de=froogle

Lily
Last edited by lilybee on 04 Feb 2009, 23:31, edited 1 time in total.
eddierose0608
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

Post by eddierose0608 »

It is nice but wouldnt look as good if I did it myself would be more unique.
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

Hello,

And here it is, for sale again on eBay.... bidding ends in six days, so better hurry!.... :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rare-Fender-Chris ... 240%3A1318

How many of these were made? Does anybody here own one?

Thanks for the link Alan... :D

Lily
PAB
cREAtive fan
cREAtive fan

Post by PAB »

How many of these were made? Does anybody here own one?
Thanks for the link Alan... :D

Lily[/quote]

Hi Lily,

The answer is in the description: 500 ... but only for Europe.
It's a "Made in Mexico" Classic 60's with a special color.
If only I had a copy of the video which is in the pack (CR explaining how to use the bottleneck ...). :(
If only I had £800 (it's a good price). :( :(
If only I played correctly. :( :( :(

CR would deserve a true "Artist Signature by Fender" ... but perhaps Fender does not appreciate too much that Chris plays a lot with his Italia Maranello.

PAb
chrismiller
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by chrismiller »

Hey everyone,

I decided to do another guitar description but it's gonna be something different since it's not a CR guitar but a CM :) I'd anyway like to share it with you. So here's my new guitar...

Squier Affinity Strat Rosewood (031-0600-525)

This is the middle category model of Squier guitars with a body made by alder wood (it's pretty heavy). The neck is of maple that gives a very soft and comfortable touch while playing. You might be surprised when looking at the rosewood fingerboard since Strats usually come with a maple one but it must be my 'perversity'... my other guitar, an acoustic Ibanez has rosewood fingerboard, too, and I think I got used to that so much I wanted to go on with that particular one :) By the way it has 21 Medium Jumbo frets with nacreous position inlays. Its color code is 525 which means this cool metallic red body.

Image Image

The headstock looks like the Fender 70's Stratocaster's and it's pretty large. And yes, it's the 'Fender' logo printed on it as well :D This guitar's equipped with chrome standard die-cast tuners and Fender Super 250L nickel plated steel strings.

Well, the gear... just like Fender Strats, this one has 3 single coil pickups, a neck, a middle and a bridge one. You can switch between the pickup combinations with the well-known 5-position blade. As far as I've learned positions 5 and 4 (neck, neck+middle) are for blues and country themes with the pure and softer tones coming from the neck pickup. Position 3 (middle) can be used for rougher rocky tunes (especially with distortion). With my amp which is a Hughes&Kettner Attax80 the middle pickup sounds like Keith Richards' or Springsteen's Telecaster and also similar to the sound of a Gibson SG (great when I play AC/DC :) ).
Positions 2 and 1 (middle+bridge, bridge) give that bright and noisy Bryan Adams sound with that metallic clacking each time you hit the strings. By the way that's the tune we hear in Let's Dance :).
This model comes with 3 controls, of course, a Master Volume and two Tone pots; one for the neck and one for the middle pickup. It's also equipped with a very precise Synchronous Tremolo bridge and a tremolo arm.

Some more words of the body contours... it's precisely the same as Fender Strat's. You can see on the first picture the upper left part of the body goes thinner to give a comfortable and secure support to the right arm. Besides, the back of the body has a kind of cavity as it's shown on this pic so the guitar's body in fact clings to your body. Quoting Jeff Beck the Strat's body actually makes you hug it :)

I think there's no more I can tell you of this beautiful baby... Enough said my neighbours honestly hate that... and that's probably because I play that all the time :D :D

Cheers,
Chris
You can waste a whole lifetime trying to be what you think that's expected of you
But you'll never be free.
eddierose0608
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

Post by eddierose0608 »

Not a bad looking strat. Its a really nice shade of red.
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Hi Chris,
Nice to see you and thanks for the post.
It is a beautiful guitar and long may you play it.
Tina :) :)
Pick up the pieces and start again.
Jim M
Support
Support

Post by Jim M »

Chris
Beautiful guitar !
Is this the same as the one Javier Vargas plays ?
Jim
Nothings Happening By The Sea