The man The voice The guitar

Vintage Rea

Post here if you have some photo's of "the man"
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Vintage Rea

Post by lilybee »

I got a few old pix and adverts of Chris that I would like to share on this thread.... :D

Mostly from early on his career.

Please do the same!!! :D :D

Lily

(Thank you for this one John)

(Remember Craig was the inspiration for the song "Winning")

I'll be adding more, as Barts creates the links for me.... :D
Sorry Bart, more work for you! :lol:

Lily
Last edited by lilybee on 20 Feb 2009, 06:54, edited 3 times in total.
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Re: Vintage Rea

Post by lilybee »

I got this old adverts, :D

Lily
Last edited by lilybee on 20 Feb 2009, 07:00, edited 12 times in total.
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Hi Lily,
These are lovely photos thankyou so much for sharing.
Tina :)
Will someone help me out here.What type of guitar is Chris playing please and thankyou.
Tina :)
Pick up the pieces and start again.
chrismiller
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by chrismiller »

Hey everyone,

Lily, the pix are great (despite I prefer Chris' older appearence) where the hell did you find them?? :D
Tina3 wrote: Will someone help me out here.What type of guitar is Chris playing please and thankyou.
Tina, I'm afraid I don't completely understand. Do you mean the guitar on the picture or his present ones?
OK, I'm a nice guy, try to give you both answers:

The vintage guitar on the picture is very hard to recognise, actually, since it was made decades ago.
Though looks like a Hofner Archtop I'm guessing it's a Heritage Eagle/replica Heritage or a cheap replica of Italia Torino, because the brand written on it definetely ain't 'Hofner'.
I remember Chris said somewhere he used to play cheap guitars and it seems to me one of them.

Guitars Chris is playing nowadays: Italia Maranello Classic, Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Fender '72 Telecaster Thinline and Hofner 500 Violin Bass.
Plus, a Hofner Shorty sometimes:
Hope it helped. Yours,

Chris
You can waste a whole lifetime trying to be what you think that's expected of you
But you'll never be free.
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

Thank you Chris, :D

We could just list all the ones on the back of BG, and then some....

I see a couple you mentioned in here.

Lily
Last edited by lilybee on 01 Jul 2008, 05:29, edited 1 time in total.
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Thankyou for being such a nice guy Chris.
If I'm been honest I don't know a thing about guitars so I am trying to learn to at least recognise what guitar Chris might be playing. I would know a Stratocaster (thanks to Stratmasters) one or 2 Hofner's and a Maranello maybe but any information helps. The one in this picture (Lily's picture) looks like a fake to me but I know very little hence the reason why I asked.I take it your picture of Chris is a Hofner Shorty ? I like most of the pictures I see of Chris. Your picture here is cool. Thanks for the information
Tina :) :)
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

I just noticed looking at this pix:

and the print on my wall Country Blues I, of BG, I see 5 & 6 on the left, and 8, 4, & 12
on the right side of the painting.... :D

Lily
Last edited by lilybee on 01 Jul 2008, 05:30, edited 1 time in total.
chrismiller
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by chrismiller »

Lily, you noticed that very well. I, too, noticed time ago Chris likes including his presently used guitars on the paintings. E.g. album cover Five Guitars shows us the five guitars Chris used on that very album.
Actually I've stolen that idea when I used my own guitar as a subject of one of my paintings, ha ha :D .
Tina3 wrote:If I'm been honest I don't know a thing about guitars so I am trying to learn to at least recognise what guitar Chris might be playing.
Well Tina, you gave a good idea for a new topic. I appreciate your efforts to know a little bit more of these wonderful children called guitars. :D

Chris
You can waste a whole lifetime trying to be what you think that's expected of you
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

chrismiller wrote:Well Tina, you gave a good idea for a new topic. I appreciate your efforts to know a little bit more of these wonderful children called guitars. :D
Hi Chris, I think it's only right to at least try and understand what C.R is doing.There is so much more to him then just the singing and because of the vast array of different guitars/instruments that he can play it would be a help to be able to tell which guitar is which. He has such talent that I could sit and watch him for hours just playing guitars. I wonder how he learned to play them all although I expect if you learn to play one you could easly play 10 or 20.So how does he know all the different sounds cause each guitar sounds different ?
Chris you seem to know a LOT about guitars and I am curious as to why you call them "children".
chrismiller
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by chrismiller »

Tina3 wrote: I wonder how he learned to play them all although I expect if you learn to play one you could easly play 10 or 20.So how does he know all the different sounds cause each guitar sounds different ?
Chris you seem to know a LOT about guitars and I am curious as to why you call them "children".
Hey Tina,
Calling guitars children is an old habit coming from conversations between a composer friend of mine and me. We used to treat instruments like human beings :D I also give my guitars names (but as far as I know it's not so strange since CR do the same...)

You guess the other thing quite right, once you learn to play a guitar you can play any guitar :D
Of course, each guitar sounds different but that's not too difficult to remember. E.g. when you own five guitars and play them regularly you'll learn quite fast which one's softer and which one's more 'rocky'. It's only a matter of practising. (And an ear for music, of course :D )
CR probably has a lot-lot more than five but since he's a guitarist knowing all his guitars is his duty :D .
Many other things can influence the sounds, e.g. type of strings, way of picking, where to strum strings etc. but I'm not going that deep this time.

Chris

P.S. Working on guitars topic
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

This is all new to me thanks for this information Chris :)
chrismiller wrote:P.S. Working on guitars topic
This sounds interesting...
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

chrismiller wrote:Many other things can influence the sounds, e.g. type of strings, way of picking, where to strum strings etc. but I'm not going that deep this time.

Chris
And...you have to develop callouses in your hands before you can accomplish anything!! :lol:

Lily
alan1958
guitaREA
guitaREA

Post by alan1958 »

lilybee wrote:
chrismiller wrote:Many other things can influence the sounds, e.g. type of strings, way of picking, where to strum strings etc. but I'm not going that deep this time.

Chris
And...you have to develop callouses in your hands before you can accomplish anything!! :lol:

Lily
Reminds me of the great Jazz story ;
Guy ,who is lost ,walking in Harlem carrying a saxophone , stops another guy ,and asks him, "Can you please tell me how to get to the Apollo Theater ?" , and the stranger replies ," Yeah , PRACTICE !!!!"
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

:lol: :lol: Hah hah Alain good joke

lilybee wrote:And...you have to develop callouses in your hands before you can accomplish anything!! :lol:

I doubt I will ever get to this stage but who knows.
chrismiller
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by chrismiller »

lilybee wrote: And...you have to develop callouses in your hands before you can accomplish anything!! :lol:

Lily
Oooh yeah... actually it's enough to destroy left hand's fingertips :lol: Strings assure that...
Chris