The man The voice The guitar

New Single...

Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Re: New Single...

Post by Mr_Blues »

Chris wrote:Hi all,
I wouldn't go as far as (I wouldn't dare it, out of politeness) to even suggest that "half of the people inside this forum" don't know about the blues because - as J.J. Cale sings (in "These Blues" from CD "To Tulsa And Back") - "the blues is not a song you sing; it is a way of life."
One either feels the blues or he/she doesn't. It's as simple as that. One doesn't need to be a musician, know about the chords, riffs etc., to understand the blues. Besides, both melodies and texts are rather simple flowing straight from the hearts and souls.
Chris Rea's songs from his early years, in my opinion, are merely a good material for blues songs and so he seems to say in numerous interviews when he suggests that every of his song can be re-made into the blues.
"Let's Dance" is definitely a blues. I'm grateful to a friend of my who years ago, in Munich, pointed out to this song, saying to me: 'it's a great blues, you ought to listen to it." I guess he knew what he was saying. He is a classical concert pianist.
Best regards to all,
Chris
That wasn´t ment to be instult, just the reality as I´m sure that there is plenty of Chris Rea fans who are only familiar with the pop/rock music and Rea´s turning to blues was suprise and something new for them. I ain´t pointing out which one belongs to each half but I´m pretty sure that´s the case. And there´s nothing wrong with that. You yourself told that you needed a friend to tell you that Chris Rea´s Let´s Dance is blues song, well it can be that with right arrangement and way of playing but with the one which we all know it´s soft rock song.

And I´m talking here about the fact that Rea´s old material in its old production is far from authentic blues music. And that way many of his fans hasn´t thought Chris as blues musician, that group of people may have just found out about the blues music after Stony Road album.
Too many good words to add here.
I better just sit back and drink beer. :)
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

next topic please.

Lily
Last edited by lilybee on 12 Sep 2009, 23:22, edited 1 time in total.
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by Mr_Blues »

lilybee wrote:enough said here!

next topic please.

Lily
Well, at least there´s something going on in this dead boring and silent forum.
And if some negative vibe is needed for the some conversation, so be it.
tobi777
giga REA-fan
giga REA-fan

Post by tobi777 »

Before we proceed to another delicate topic :wink: : I have to admit mr_blues may be right in thinking a certain percentage of Chris' fans are not really blues and rock fans. When Chris was on his peak of commercial success there were ten-thousands of people attending his concerts and I heard many of them complaing about Chris playing to loud and too many rock songs and guitar solos - they expected him to play only soft love songs and were kind of shocked by what they saw. Maybe they had never been to a rock concert and it was a frightening experience :lol: :lol: :lol:
chrisrea101
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by chrisrea101 »

I agree with Mr_Blues, at least there's a conversation happening, I keep returning to the site! it might have gone off on a tangent, but that isnt a bad thing, conversations flow and shouldn't be closed or stopped etc. if you we want to discuss how bluesy or not the new single/ chris's early discography is keep talking! this discussion is quite interesting!!
Jump a train from Chicago
Trace it back
with the neck of a bottle
and the groove of the tracks
oh mississippi...running through my veins
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

Hi all,

With his newest single being more or less bluesy put aside, I found a Czech site with a concrete date for the upcoming Chris Rea's concert in Prague. According to this information, he should be playing Prague's Kongresove Centrum on Monday, 1 February 2010, as part of his great European tour.
Furthermore, on a Slovenian site someone (identified as "a London correspondent") was talking about CR's "European and....American tour in 2010." Had anyone heard anything about it? I think it would be a great news for all our American and Canadian friends here.
Take care,
Chris
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by Mr_Blues »

Getting here off topic, but Chris seems to have his tours always in same time of the year.
Starting again around February to early april different locations in Europe and UK starting
from April lastin to the May. Why is that, why don´t he go on tour let´s say during the autumn?
This autumn :)
ace of hearts
REAddict
REAddict

Post by ace of hearts »

Hi, I think he tours then because of his love for motor racing, it's out of season.

And just to add, the new song is on the Radio 2 playlist this week, so loads of opportunities to hear it.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/music/playlist/

Rich.
could this be true, could this be me..
tobi777
giga REA-fan
giga REA-fan

Post by tobi777 »

I hoped Chris would be touring later in 2010 - presenting his new album which is scheduled for next year. His greatest hits - we all know how they sound :) But maybe he will be on the road in 2011 as well 8)
BLUEHOOD71
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

Post by BLUEHOOD71 »

Mr_Blues wrote:Getting here off topic, but Chris seems to have his tours always in same time of the year.
Starting again around February to early april different locations in Europe and UK starting
from April lastin to the May. Why is that, why don´t he go on tour let´s say during the autumn?
This autumn :)
Nothing really seems to make you happy! appears to be blue by name blue by nature!! Who really cares if there is a difference in opinion on whether songs are blues/rock/pop if you like it listen if you don't don't. If a concert date suits go if it dose not don't bother going quite simple really. I for one certainly available winter,spring,summer or autumn just bring it on nothing beats Chris playing blues/rock/pop or even country (at a push) :lol:
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

I second that emotion Mr. Bluehood !!! :lol:

Lily
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

Here are some of the tour dates so far, the full list will be out September 11.

13/3/10 Brighton Centre
15/3/10 Nottingham
28/3/10 Manchester
05/4/10 Belfast

There are also dates out for Serbia and Prague.

They might give more dates tomorrow on BBC radio.

A couple of links:

http://www.mcd.ie/home/fn.php?c=2957616 ... ea&cat=all

http://www.hannover-concerts.de/hannove ... hp?id=1686

If you find any other links, post them too.

A tour in America would be wonderful to say the least.... :-)

Lily
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by Mr_Blues »

BLUEHOOD71 wrote: Nothing really seems to make you happy! appears to be blue by name blue by nature!! Who really cares if there is a difference in opinion on whether songs are blues/rock/pop if you like it listen if you don't don't. If a concert date suits go if it dose not don't bother going quite simple really. I for one certainly available winter,spring,summer or autumn just bring it on nothing beats Chris playing blues/rock/pop or even country (at a push) :lol:
lilybee wrote:I second that emotion Mr. Bluehood !!! :lol:

Lily
What the hell we are here for if there ain´t no talking about things?

Well, I did just wonder the thing about doing the tour during the same period of year each time when he tours. You are way too touchy if that kind of thoughts are hostile for you. "Ace of hearts" had some idea about it and understood what I was after.

Some seems to have this idea of always kissing others butts and agreeing blindly, well I ain´t like that.

So keep up with the conversation, like it or not.
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by Mr_Blues »

ace of hearts wrote:Hi, I think he tours then because of his love for motor racing, it's out of season.

And just to add, the new song is on the Radio 2 playlist this week, so loads of opportunities to hear it.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/music/playlist/

Rich.
Hi,
yeah, maybe out of season for the races where he drives, this could be the reason.
F1 is going on during the time of his tours but there he ain´t racing so guess that´s when he goes playing then.
Though he has been plenty of times watching F1 at the VIP area, but guess that´s not the reason for being away from the road.

So far the best and only reason, let´s see if someone else has other ideas.
elangelo
REAddict
REAddict

Post by elangelo »

Oh well, Mr. Blues gets more and more explicit... :?

Nothing about Chris in the schedule for Ken Bruce show tomorrow...
Don't cry, baby don't cry
The worst is gone....