The man The voice The guitar

Tour Reports 2010

don corleone
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Re: Tour Reports 2010

Post by don corleone »

Please do not misunderstand. First, it is of course the genius Rea can finally play again. It is also absolutely amazing after this terrible disease, the whole problem and the myriad drugs he must take to think about. The standing ovations at Freiburg arena were certainly more than earned. Especially in this rather dignified-looking audience.
Maybe he needs a certain routine and go through now and then the autopilot to the grueling Tour. Whether he grudged.

Here are the detailed criticism of the recognized "Badische Zeitung" from Freiburg:

"Survivor has the blues, A difficult balancing act: The concert by Chris Rea in the Freiburg Rothaus Arena

and a very nice photo gallery.

A positive and very long review from the Mannheim concert!
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Hi Don :)
don corleone wrote:First, it is of course the genius Rea can finally play again. It is also absolutely amazing after this terrible disease, the whole problem and the myriad drugs he must take to think about. The standing ovations at Freiburg arena were certainly more than earned. Especially in this rather dignified-looking audience.
This is very easy to understand :) and I agree with you.I hope he remains in good health not just so he can tour but because it is what i would wish for Chris if I was never to see him play alive again :)
Tina :)
Pick up the pieces and start again.
tobischmitz
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by tobischmitz »

Hi there,

just want to share my memories of the Dusseldorf concert with you :)

This was the first Chris Rea concert I attended since the (very disappointing) KING OF THE BEACH-Tour, back in 2001. It was a great evening, starting with very amusing 20 minutes with Paul Casey and his guitar. He tried to get the crowd participating - nice try :). But after that it only took another twenty minutes and Chris Rea entered the stage and played the usual set list ( I guess ) without much communication towards the audience. But nevertheless - the music was awesome. Also the (for me) new arrangements of songs like Julia pleased me. Is it just my imagination or was the Josephine version nearly played as in earlier times (1988 in Rock am Ring) - I discovered some parts of Josie'S tune in it...
A few disappointments: #1 On the beach was simply uninspired and lame, #2 Why not play an extra encore after Let'S dance? The crowd went wild and kept on clapping their hands, #3 No merchandising

As I wrote earlier: it was a great concert!!! The Philipshalle in Dusseldorf was nearly sold out.

Ok, that's it - just some thoughts and impressions :)

See ya
Tschoe
Tobias
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

tobischmitz wrote:so the (for me) new arrangements of songs like Julia pleased me.
What did you think of the new version of Electric Guitar?
Thanks for your post.Some of us around here are still waiting so it is nice to get feedback from fellow fans :)
Tina :)
Pick up the pieces and start again.
tobischmitz
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by tobischmitz »

Oups, I forgot about Electric Guitars - it was awesome. As the song started the woman next to me (my aunt :)) said, 'Oh - now he is playing ON THE BEACH' - I just shook my head (knowing the playlist back and forward) and twenty seconds later it was obvious not On the beach. A pleasant surprise to hear the song live... :)

Tschoe
Tobias
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

Hi all,

Thank you Tobi for sharing your thoughts and feelings after the gig in Duesseldorf ("they flew us in from Hamburg strip; taste of Doesseldorf still on our lips".) I thought the concert in Warsaw was too loud but as I'm getting older I don't voice my objections anymore for I could be told I'm too old to go to Chris Rea's gigs (only kidding.) Oh well, Chris Rea's fans are getting older and he himself will be 59 tomorrow! Happy Birthday Chris!

As far as dancing and standing tickets only at his concerts, I think most of the concertgoers would rather prefer to have been seated, for reasons stated above. Besides, I'm positive there are some safety regulations for different concerts. The security arrangements would have to be altered to allow people to dance.

Tickets? As far as I remember, tickets have always been priced at double, triple or quadruple the value of an average CD, so I don't see any change there. This year I paid for my ticket in local currency an equivalent of about 50,00 Euro. Two years ago the price was similar. I wouldn't pay 300 Euro though neither then or now; 50-60 is what I can still afford. For 300 Euro one can have, for instance, a nice, used "La Pavoni" espresso machine!
I keep on going to Chris Rea concerts because he bothers to visit, you see. I've been listening to his music all through my life, so I don't think I should miss another opportunity to see him performing live. Especially since we are not at all certain whether he will be able to play big, exhausting tours in the future. And it doesn't matter I know all his songs by heart now.

I'd like to thank Zgred for posting some great photos from "our" concert. And as far as "legal" versus "illegal" picture taking I think in Warsaw (and in New Jersey, Paris, Kiev, Moscow, Bucharest...!) everything is legal, as long as you don't get caught.

On a more personal note, I was somehow sadden by Lily's and Bluehood71's sovereign decisions to depart this forum. Both of them were equally valuable contributors to our exchange of views and opinions on all different aspects of this great artist we so treasure and have common interest in. I'm glad, on the other hand, that Tina, blueskev, elangelo, Jim M. (to name a few) and many others are still around.
Best regards,
Chris
Jim M
Support
Support

Post by Jim M »

THanks Chris !
I agree 100% w/your comments but you always have to remember -as C.R. did this great live version @ Bush Hall
"YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD To DANCE"
Jim
Nothings Happening By The Sea
don corleone
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by don corleone »

Chris wrote:Hi all,

As far as dancing and standing tickets only at his concerts, I think most of the concertgoers would rather prefer to have been seated, for reasons stated above.
Chris
I have to disagree massively. I think the opposite is the case. If I can not stand two hours, I should go to the the opera, Lionel Ritchie or Chris de Burgh. I think a part of the audience is just now fat and lazy and also has become too lax, tired and saturated. :? The Who, Deep Purple, Stones, Robert Plant, Santana and ZZ Top - this audience is not getting any younger. But still on there legs-and young in their hearts. Seating? At jazz concerts,Yes! With blues, Rock and Funk? Definitely No!
don corleone
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by don corleone »

For 300 Euro one can have, for instance, a nice, used "La Pavoni" espresso machine!

Chris
Brilliant! I love that. :lol:
I prefer an silk tie from Dolce & Gabbana

.....please forgive me :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

don corleone wrote:

As far as dancing and standing tickets only at his concerts, I think most of the concertgoers would rather prefer to have been seated, for reasons stated above.
Chris
I have to disagree massively. I think the opposite is the case. If I can not stand two hours, I should go to the the opera, Lionel Ritchie or Chris de Burgh. I think a part of the audience is just now fat and lazy and also has become too lax, tired and saturated. :? The Who, Deep Purple, Stones, Robert Plant, Santana and ZZ Top - this audience is not getting any younger. But still on there legs-and young in their hearts. Seating? At jazz concerts,Yes! With blues, Rock and Funk? Definitely No!
Hi Don,

What I wanted to say is I don't have anything against "older people" at Chris Rea's concerts. A few years back (actually, more than "a few") I also thought that I was surrounded at gigs by "older people." I felt annoyed when people remained in their chairs instead of standing and dancing. Anyone over 40 then was already "old" for me. I asked myself "gee, where all these senior citizens came from?" But now, you know, one cannot push (force) anyone up front nor block his/her view by standing in front of someone while he/she remains seated.
One of the pictures taken at Frieburg concert shows clearly people sitting orderly and nicely in their chairs. Not a single person (except for a woman-photographer) is standing!
Take care,
Chris
tobi777
giga REA-fan
giga REA-fan

Post by tobi777 »

Hi all,

I must admit that during a concert I rather stay on my seat and concentrate on the music. I don't like standing around for hours getting bumped and shoved by others. I pay a lot of money to be able to listen to the music and watch what's happening on stage.

Maybe this is not a rock'n'roll atitude but I don't care - who says that you have to get a backache during a concert or getting splashed with beer or getting deaf by some idiots shouting in your ear? :D

If I want to go dancing I go to a disco. Chris' music is wonderful to me and during these rare occasions I absorb every single note with the utmost concentration - seated and quiet and in awe :D

Cheers,

Tobi
don corleone
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by don corleone »

Hello, please do not misunderstand. I have no problems withan older audience. The age,is not the problem-it is the attitude of lethargy! So I have something against sleeping boring phlegmatics which will not move an inch in two hours .For example the guys in front of me. I had the feeling that they really are dead. It was unbelievable. But Chris Rea has managed to wake up the audience in Freiburg, a large and hard part. This were the guy with the most expensive places does not like very much. And the photographer? Probably theycould only shoot the first three titles . As usual ! :?
don corleone
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by don corleone »

tobi777 wrote:D

If I want to go dancing I go to a disco. Chris' music is wonderful to me and during these rare occasions I absorb every single note with the utmost concentration - seated and quiet and in awe :D

Cheers,

Tobi
But the good Chris Rea can dance on the stage and sweat away. :?

Why lying around with a good Chris Rea DVD and 5.1 surround sound on the sofa? No audience, no beer, no audience, no communication, No people at all. Simply Perfect!

I prefer to move, live atmosphere, liveliness, --- And Drugs and adrenaline! :D
If I want to concentrate, I'm going to Jan Garbarek and Manu Katche. But this is musically a different league. I had no problems with tne music of Chris Rea when I'm standing.

And in this volume,anyway, will disappear any differentiation. Of course it is a little difficult to hold the ears and at the same time keep a beer cup. :lol: :lol: :lol:

To each their own
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by Mr_Blues »

I gotta say, "sleeping in their seats" is one of worst things you can do on live gig.
Some won´t stand up to give applauses even if the major part of the audience are doing that.

don said it the best way, if the live audience with their beer and high voice is too much,
you can always stay on home sofa with your dvd´s.

live gigs are ment to be "loud and dangerous" :)
Too many good words to add here.
I better just sit back and drink beer. :)
Müfo
cREAtive fan
cREAtive fan

Post by Müfo »

On the farewell- tour I saw Rea two times within a few days, in Luxembourg (seating) and Offenbach (standing). And though the music (set list) was of cause! the same ;-), the atmosphere in Offenbach was extremely better. And even Rea seemed to like it much better: small venue, great band, enthusiastic, moving crowed – that’s how rock-concerts should be!-i.m.o.
I think seating concerts are always embarrassing for those people who like to move. But isn`t it natural to move to beats and music? All my respect to the few (mostly older women :D ) who can overcome and rise up from their seats and don`t care what the other say…
Take care everybody
Jan