The man The voice The guitar

News about the upcoming tour

BlueMaranello
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

Re: News about the upcoming tour

Post by BlueMaranello »

PAB wrote:Hou la la,

I'll be in Brussels in March, and Chris can sing what he wants. To see him on stage is my best reward. For the rest, I listen to his records.

:)
Exactly!
Oh look out world, take a good look
What comes down here
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

Chris wrote:I know I will be repeating myself, but so be it.
Many concertgoers intend to purchase tickets to Chris Rea concerts exactly because they expect him to play all of his well known songs. Therefore what he does, I think, he's snicking-in some rarely played tunes as well as playing two, three new compositions. That is, as if to try to satisfy everyone. Obviously, for some fans this will still be "unacceptable","not sufficient" or outright "wrong." Well, too bad, I would say. He will not play concerts for the chosen few (unless it's a small-venue, "private" gig) because it wouldn't be economically sound. Tours cost a lot of money (transportation, logistic, hotels, meals etc.) and Chris Rea needs to be certain that money he spends brings in at least some profit. I understand it perfectly well.
By sticking to his setlist in Leipzig, Dresden, Hamburg, Berlin or Prague he only proved to be predictable.
I don't think anyone wants to ruin him (and his family) financially?
Take care,
Chris
Hi Chris,

Nice to see you're still posting :-)

Now you understand why I don't much anymore....

Cheers to you

Lily
Jim M
Support
Support

Post by Jim M »

All
I totally agree W/Kevin,Lilly,Blueshood 71,Chris,etc. ENOUGH ALREADY !
C.R. is going to play what he's going to play and I for one am tired of the constant whinning/bitching/negative attitude and bullying by Mr. Blues.I've also stayed out of these postings as i just don't have the energy to come here to fight & argue.People have tried to be nice & express thier opinions and explain why you are wrong but you just don't want to hear it (or you're intent is to be a shit disturber -I don't know which).FRom what I can tell you know nothing of how the music business works in the real world and the day you hire C.R. to do a show you can pick the setlist.It's fine to be critical but it should not be in every post all the time!
It would be a real shame for us Rea-l fans to be driven away by this stream of negative crap and that's where we are going !
Jim
Nothings Happening By The Sea
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

Finally!!! Someone with the guts to stop all the Bull%$#@ Mr. Blues is posting here!

Thanks Jim

Lily
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

Perhaps Bart should explain this better, but, as I understand it, there is a way to avoid offensive users by adding them to your "Foes" list, under "Forum", then User Control Panel (on right), - Friends & Foes Tab - then "manage foes" link. By adding a user's name to the Foes list, it says: "Foes are users which will be ignored by default. Posts by these users will not be fully visible. Personal messages from foes are still permitted. Please note that you cannot ignore moderators or administrators."

If enough of us ignore an offensive user, his posts won't show and he will be talking to himself.... :lol:

Try it people, you have the option.

Lily
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by Mr_Blues »

Jim M wrote:All
I totally agree W/Kevin,Lilly,Blueshood 71,Chris,etc. ENOUGH ALREADY !
C.R. is going to play what he's going to play and I for one am tired of the constant whinning/bitching/negative attitude and bullying by Mr. Blues.I've also stayed out of these postings as i just don't have the energy to come here to fight & argue.People have tried to be nice & express thier opinions and explain why you are wrong but you just don't want to hear it (or you're intent is to be a shit disturber -I don't know which).FRom what I can tell you know nothing of how the music business works in the real world and the day you hire C.R. to do a show you can pick the setlist.It's fine to be critical but it should not be in every post all the time!
It would be a real shame for us Rea-l fans to be driven away by this stream of negative crap and that's where we are going !
Jim
Well, I don´t think that the whole Europe is full of bad concert organizers, I mean if they could pick the setlist like you suggest, there would have been changes already :) I´m giving the hard time because most of here don´t get this, why on earth The Man with the hundreds of songs is settling to play only same handful of them when he could do so much better by doing some changes every now and then. It just don´t make sense.

And I´m - sure that making few changes here and there doesn´t affect on the music business side of things (if you mean money which many of here seems to worry so much).

Have you even thought of this on the side of musicians in the band?
Driving the same road each time makes you want to take alternative route sometimes....
Now what´s so wrong about that?

By the way, been fan of Chris half of my life, literally speaking just a bit longer, so not just some shit disturber... :)
Too many good words to add here.
I better just sit back and drink beer. :)
Jim M
Support
Support

Post by Jim M »

Mr Blues
Now that's better we can discuss this normaly ! It's difficult to get people to understand your point when you're attacking them !
What I'm saying is that when the setlist is made I can just see the meetings on meetings with record labels /mgrs./promoters etc. to establish where they want to go with a tour.C.R. tried to step out of his older stuff but as we've seen in interviews it did not work (Hofner Blue Notes/Delmonts).I'm sure the BRANDING of Chris REA is a very delicate ballance between what he wants as an artist and what he can get away with as far as the label & money people go.THe casual fan does not want to hear the more rare stuff -they want hits (as C.R. has said) and over the years his live versions of these hits have been reworked to change it up a little.Unfortunatly as far as the musicians go repeating songs is thier lot in life -I can just imagine how tired some artists are of thier own songs! I think most of us here understand why he plays the songs he does and the reality of the music business.WE all know with Stoney road he tried to take a different direction (how long did we wait for the Fireflies) but again the reality is -you gotta sell CD's.
As C.R. himself has said the entire music business seems to be going down the toilet and I think he's made his brave attempts to hang in thier but let's face facts -he's a 58 year old musician who's fans are more or less the same age and he's not the hot new shinny toy.It must be very difficult for him going from 13,000 fans to 3,000-4000 so I'm sure he's trying to develop the correct formula.I think all of us here would love to give him our set list (when i win the lotto that's my plan) and I'm sure they'd all be different.On a negative note to C.R. he really needs to do something about his web site.
Let's all try to be cival to each other and discuss our favourite singer/song writer/Slide Guitar Player/Actor/Writer/Race Car Driver/Artist
BY the way I've also been a fan over 1/2 my life started in 1978 so 32 years and i'm 56 -and I still like to hear Fool !
Jim
elangelo
REAddict
REAddict

Post by elangelo »

I agree that Mr. Blues is somewhat negative, but his idea is very clear and I agree with him. The majority of the fans only cares about 6-8 songs (Road to Hell, Josephine etc.) while they (and the managers!) shouldn't care about the rest. They shouldn't care about whether he plays "Easy Rider" or "It's All Gone", for example. This part of a gig is up to him, no-one will say anything if he changes 5 songs. It won't change the income because the hits will remain. So why not change a bit more between two tours - it's a clear question and I agree that it's strange that nothing is done here. And neither did I hear any clear answers why this can't be done.
Don't cry, baby don't cry
The worst is gone....
Jim M
Support
Support

Post by Jim M »

lilybee wrote:Perhaps Bart should explain this better, but, as I understand it, there is a way to avoid offensive users by adding them to your "Foes" list, under "Forum", then User Control Panel (on right), - Friends & Foes Tab - then "manage foes" link. By adding a user's name to the Foes list, it says: "Foes are users which will be ignored by default. Posts by these users will not be fully visible. Personal messages from foes are still permitted. Please note that you cannot ignore moderators or administrators."

If enough of us ignore an offensive user, his posts won't show and he will be talking to himself.... :lol:

Try it people, you have the option.

Lily
I think the best thing here is that we all try to be respecful of each others opinions as much as possible.
We all need to remember we are speaking w/people of all cultures who look at things alot differently than ourselves and English may not be thier 1st language.So somtimes what makes perfect sense to us is totally misunderstood by someone else.Name calling and swearing at each other (even thogh I'm guilty myself) just isn't where we should go.I'm aware of several people who avoid posting now due to offensive behaviour and that's a shame.WE all came here out of interest,respect and admiration of a GREAT artist so let's discuss.Sometimes we will disagree but that's OK to as long as we keep it cival.
I can't believe that I would quote Rodney King (remember L.A. cops beat him up)
"CAN"T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG"
JIM
Jim M
Support
Support

Post by Jim M »

elangelo wrote:I agree that Mr. Blues is somewhat negative, but his idea is very clear and I agree with him. The majority of the fans only cares about 6-8 songs (Road to Hell, Josephine etc.) while they (and the managers!) shouldn't care about the rest. They shouldn't care about whether he plays "Easy Rider" or "It's All Gone", for example. This part of a gig is up to him, no-one will say anything if he changes 5 songs. It won't change the income because the hits will remain. So why not change a bit more between two tours - it's a clear question and I agree that it's strange that nothing is done here. And neither did I hear any clear answers why this can't be done.
Elangelo
Hey you're preaching to the choir here.I think we'd all like to hear some different songs but if you recall when C.R. formed the Delmonts/Hofner Blue Notes he was not going to do ANY hits.He said it was because people would demand thier money back if he didn't play the hits and after 30 years of hits it took up the whole concert.
So on that tour they did a few hits and unfortunately he was not commercily succesful with the Ear book.
I really think he tried to break away but was pulled back to reality.I would love him to do nothing but blues but the casual fan wants to hear the hits and where do you draw the line ?
I think we should all chip in and arrange a private concert but how on earth would we ever come up with a play list we could agree on.
I once went to see Bob Dylan and he did nothing but new stuff (during his mumbling period) and everyone was screaming for the old stuff. I'll never pay to see him again.
JIm
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

Jim M wrote:I would love him to do nothing but blues but the casual fan wants to hear the hits and where do you draw the line ?
I think we should all chip in and arrange a private concert but how on earth would we ever come up with a play list we could agree on.
JIm
Casual fans want to hear the hits? I'm not a casual fan but one of the MANY long-time followers who prefers the Pre-Blues Chris (and probably post-Blues now). I was one of the lucky ones who got to see him at Bush Hall last September and when he played all the "hits" I heard them live for the first time and they were all new to me.
That said, I think Blue Guitars is his best work as far as Blues goes, although it does have a few "fillers" in there that Chris himself admitted to. Now it looks like he's mixing rock and blues again and we get (ZZTopish) So Far To Go, and I like it!

Those of us that have listened to Chris from the beginning know that he can reinvent himself over and over, and we know that he plays his songs in 20 different versions, and he uses the same riffs in many different songs. Chris' music is his playground, he created it, he owns it, and he can play it any which way he likes because he enjoys doing it. We all have different taste and opinions about Chris music so we shouldn't obsess about a play list, like Jim said, we'll never find one to please everybody.

Right now he's doing a commercial tour, and yes, that means his greatest hits. Who knows, maybe he'll do a different mini tour to promote his upcoming albums and Biography?

The bottom line is we all like his music, so we agree on something here.

Lily
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by Mr_Blues »

Jim M wrote:Mr Blues
Now that's better we can discuss this normaly ! It's difficult to get people to understand your point when you're attacking them !
What I'm saying is that when the setlist is made I can just see the meetings on meetings with record labels /mgrs./promoters etc. to establish where they want to go with a tour.C.R. tried to step out of his older stuff but as we've seen in interviews it did not work (Hofner Blue Notes/Delmonts).I'm sure the BRANDING of Chris REA is a very delicate ballance between what he wants as an artist and what he can get away with as far as the label & money people go.THe casual fan does not want to hear the more rare stuff -they want hits (as C.R. has said) and over the years his live versions of these hits have been reworked to change it up a little.Unfortunatly as far as the musicians go repeating songs is thier lot in life -I can just imagine how tired some artists are of thier own songs! I think most of us here understand why he plays the songs he does and the reality of the music business.WE all know with Stoney road he tried to take a different direction (how long did we wait for the Fireflies) but again the reality is -you gotta sell CD's.
As C.R. himself has said the entire music business seems to be going down the toilet and I think he's made his brave attempts to hang in thier but let's face facts -he's a 58 year old musician who's fans are more or less the same age and he's not the hot new shinny toy.It must be very difficult for him going from 13,000 fans to 3,000-4000 so I'm sure he's trying to develop the correct formula.I think all of us here would love to give him our set list (when i win the lotto that's my plan) and I'm sure they'd all be different.On a negative note to C.R. he really needs to do something about his web site.
Let's all try to be cival to each other and discuss our favourite singer/song writer/Slide Guitar Player/Actor/Writer/Race Car Driver/Artist
BY the way I've also been a fan over 1/2 my life started in 1978 so 32 years and i'm 56 -and I still like to hear Fool !
Jim
This subject is sensitive one and we all know why, it´s because of we want just the best for Chris and his music. Yeah, I do act harsh time to time, but that´s just my style when I´m in a mission (ask from anyone who lives right next to me, hah hah) :) I´m turning to 30 this year and I´ve been listening The Man since I was 14. Imagine the mission what it was back then when being teenager and listening completely different music than the others in the same age??? :) Others couldn´t understand it one bit. I´ve organised small blues festival since 2005, in this small town where no one knew d. a. m. n thing about blues, or at least majority did not know. I´ve done this festival with the same kind of devotion what I have with Chris Rea´s music, no compromises which can hurt the mission. Compromises with the evil, or should I say commercial wheels of music business, that I don´t like since Chris started to move on to good way with the blues. I mean, Chris started to fight back against the money made hell and now he seems to give it up. It´s a shame, as it was his dream and now people have taken it away by not following him enough with that. Other thing, I really do believe that Chris is not having the best people around him in his staff, they keep Chris too distant with the fans in online world.
Yeah, winning in lottery, that would be nice in a musical way :)
Last edited by Mr_Blues on 03 Feb 2010, 07:10, edited 1 time in total.
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by Mr_Blues »

elangelo wrote:I agree that Mr. Blues is somewhat negative, but his idea is very clear and I agree with him. The majority of the fans only cares about 6-8 songs (Road to Hell, Josephine etc.) while they (and the managers!) shouldn't care about the rest. They shouldn't care about whether he plays "Easy Rider" or "It's All Gone", for example. This part of a gig is up to him, no-one will say anything if he changes 5 songs. It won't change the income because the hits will remain. So why not change a bit more between two tours - it's a clear question and I agree that it's strange that nothing is done here. And neither did I hear any clear answers why this can't be done.
Humble thanks :)
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by Mr_Blues »

Jim M wrote:I once went to see Bob Dylan and he did nothing but new stuff (during his mumbling period) and everyone was screaming for the old stuff. I'll never pay to see him again.
JIm
Now there´s a man who has BALLS ! :D
He does whatever he wants and he still sells out the arenas where he has concerts.
This is a man who does the albums and tours like he wants and record company
shuts their mouths. Chris could do things a bit more like him.... :)
tobi777
giga REA-fan
giga REA-fan

Post by tobi777 »

Hi all,

A live concert nearly always means "best of" because people pay a lot of money to see their heroes and I many of them are frustrated if they don't get what they know. Nobody can expect all concert goers to have Chris entire record collection. They like RTH, Josephine, OTB... and they get it. I think Chris always played a kind of best of with some surprises thrown in between (e.g. "Midnight Blue" and "Texas" 1998). I only wish the setlist 2010 would be a bit more different than the one in 2008 - and for my part he should have played even more hits like "Ace Of Heart", "Auberge", "Working On It" and so on.

REAgards,

Tobi