The man The voice The guitar

Brand new studio album & box set June 13th 2011

Bart
Webmaster
Webmaster

Brand new studio album & box set June 13th 2011

Post by Bart »

Following his sell-out UK & European tour in 2010 and 2009’s UK Top Ten album Still So Far To Go - The Best Of Chris Rea, one of the UK’s foremost singers and songwriters returns.

The elaborate 3CD & 2DVD The Santo Spirito Project will include a brand new studio album featuring Dancing My Blues Away, Never Tie Me Down, The Chance Of Love, Ball & Chain, Rock & Roll Tonight, Electric Guitar and The Last Open Road.

The complete package will be available at retail at the price of a normal CD album.

Additionally, The Santo Spirito Project features 2 bespoke feature films on DVD, written and directed by Chris. The first feature is a raw and brutally honest chronicle on bullfighting and features neo-classical & Spanish themed gypsy music & the second feature follows a man through the city of Florence in his search for the truth, on a journey which he may or may not wish he began.

The music to accompany both special feature films will be contained on 2CDs and Chris explains his rationale for such an ambitious project: “I love creating things and passionately believe we (the artists) should be looking to try new ways of bringing what we do to the public. There should be no rules whatsoever and, for God’s sake, there are alternatives to TV talent shows. Sometimes, those who have had extremely good fortune in music allow only X Factor type TV shows etc. to set the musical and cultural agenda of this county by actually doing nothing new or different themselves.”

The Santo Spirito Project is the natural successor to The Blue Guitars project (which contained 11 CDs & 1DVD) and as it was previously considered pure, incomprehensible madness by the record companies, Chris was forced to produce the entire package himself which has gone on to gross €5 million at retail.

Chris told the BBC News last year “ I cannot be bothered just making a CD any more. It has got to be something more interesting for me than just 10 tracks on CD “and his vision to offer more than just his trademark slide guitar blues/rock is illustrated in the creative breadth & depth of The Santo Spirito Project.

Chris added: “The luxury of selling over 30 million albums has allowed me to try new and different approaches to music. I would be damning myself to hell if I just took the money and ran. One day a younger artist may look at what I have been trying to do, marrying my love of the visual arts and music and start a whole new movement. Then, I will know it was all worthwhile!”

Chris’s career spans over thirty years and both The Road To Hell in 1989 and Auberge in 1991 debuted at No.1 in the UK, cementing his position as arguably one of the country’s finest musicians and songwriters.

His rich catalogue includes such classic songs as Fool (If You Think It's Over), On The Beach, Let's Dance, Josephine, Stainsby Girls and I Can Hear Your Heartbeat, Working On It, The Road To Hell (Part 2), Auberge, God’s Great Banana Skin and Julia.

The Santo Spirito Project will be released by Rhino UK, a division of Warner Music, on Monday June 13th 2011 on CD/DVD only at no more than the price of a normal CD single album and will not be available for digital download until December 2011.

A European tour will follow in 2012 followed by the publication of his long awaited autobiography The Road To Hell & Back Again.
REAgards, Bart (webmaster)
chrisreafan

Re: Brand new studio album & box set June 13th 2011

Post by chrisreafan »

Thanks for the info Bart.
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

Great news!
Thanks a lot Bart.
Chris
Peter S...
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by Peter S... »

Hi,

if you live in the UK you can hear the song on iplayer at 2hrs 2 min....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b010h9qr

Peter S...
Between the eyes of love I call your name
Behind the guarded walls I used to go
Upon a summer wind there's a certain melody
Takes me back to the place that I know
Down on the beach
ace of hearts
REAddict
REAddict

Post by ace of hearts »

Just listened to the track 'Dancing my Blues away' from the new album 'The Last open Road', [part of the Santo Spirito project.. Loved it, looking forward to June now :)
could this be true, could this be me..
Jim M
Support
Support

Post by Jim M »

GREAT NEWS !!
Thanks for the info Bart
Jim
Nothings Happening By The Sea
elangelo
REAddict
REAddict

Post by elangelo »

Thanks Bart!!
Don't cry, baby don't cry
The worst is gone....
elangelo
REAddict
REAddict

Post by elangelo »

I was able to listen although I'm not in the UK (I think they had this restriction for video material only), and I don't think I like the song. Right now I don't feel like it's a step forward, and I don't like these drums (as I said after the 2008 release). But if he likes playing it - what the hell! :)
The worst is gone....
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Hi All :-)
DELIGHTED about the 'NEW' album but some of those songs sound familar to me ......Ball and Chain, Rock and Roll Tonight,Never Tie Me Down, Electric Guitar????
Any ideas??? are they new or just re makes :)
Tina :D
Pick up the pieces and start again.
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by Mr_Blues »

Good to have news, BUT....what it is with the old songs, at least there´s plenty of those old song titles.....
well, time will tell, not too far at least, if the date stays :)
Too many good words to add here.
I better just sit back and drink beer. :)
elangelo
REAddict
REAddict

Post by elangelo »

Old words, old chords... but maybe the others are different? Although I doubt it...

Just take a look at the chris.rea com web site! Even the question mark is gone, everything :)
The worst is gone....
ace of hearts
REAddict
REAddict

Post by ace of hearts »

Your not kidding, you get a host web company now at www.chrisrea.com with details of shortcuts to various parts of the site !!
could this be true, could this be me..
Jim M
Support
Support

Post by Jim M »

I'm still getting the site w/ a question mark but the music is gone.

As far as the new stuff coming let's wait to hear it before jumping to conclusions -please.
The song "Dancing my blues away" as opposed to "Dancing the blues away" is very much like "Still so far to go".
THe Spanish/ Gypsy music sounds interesting as well as it sounds like Italian as well plus of course the movies.
Hopefully some interesting stuff !
Jim
Nothings Happening By The Sea
elangelo
REAddict
REAddict

Post by elangelo »

Yes, I'm doing my best not to draw any conclusions but it's hard to do :)
Imagine that Chris had to choose one song to promote at BBC Radio - why would he choose this one if it sounds the same? Anyway, I'm often wrong, so we'll see :)
The worst is gone....
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by Mr_Blues »

well, don´t know which is better, the question mark and the logos with the music or just the current black background and nothing in it :)

the new song, it sure does sound so much about something we have heard so many times before....
and i just hate those drum sounds, can´t get over them......why oh why there can´t be drum sounds that sounds real authentic drums..... I want that T-Bone Burnett will produce Chris Rea album :D
Too many good words to add here.
I better just sit back and drink beer. :)