The man The voice The guitar

Moscow concert February 9

elangelo
REAddict
REAddict

Moscow concert February 9

Post by elangelo »

So, I'm back from the concert and ready to share some impressions about the gig with you.
First of all, just like four years ago, there were dozens of girls all the way from the metro to the hall offering signed photographs of Chris. I never had this idea before, but my girlfriend said that he couldn't possibly have singed them all, so, maybe, they're not even selling what he would like to sell, but he may even not know anything about himself signing his pictures :?
We did have an opening act here too, a frontman of 'The Crossroadz', a Russian blues band, played acoustic guitar and sang three or four of his own songs. Unlike Andrew, I found him quite OK, and his English was not as bad as I expected. He got a moderate applause (I think he could have got more if the half of the people were not still enjoying drinks in the lobby) which I think he totally deserved. After that, the break was longer than in St. Petersburg, and the show itself started at exactly 9 pm.
I liked it very much; I must admit, the main reason was that we hear of more deaths of the same disease that Chris survived and I just felt glad about the fact that we can still enjoy his playing and singing. But I also liked the hall (Crocus City Hall sits 6,000 people like Kremlin Palace but seems a bit more intimate somehow, and I could see everything from my seat that was not the most expensive one) and the sound. I only think that Anto Drennan's guitar could have been a bit quieter, sometimes you couldn't really hear Chris's solos. But Anto himself played very well, I must say he gave a fresher sound to the songs that were played almost exactly the same way, although some solos indeed were changed. I got a bit dissapointed by Max Middleton that didn't seem to have changed his technique at all; he played just like he did 25 years ago. When you think how much better Chris plays now than he did then... it feels strange. So I'm not surprised Max didn't have so many solos for himself: Neil Drinkwater handled his solos better.
Since I knew all the songs already, to me, the concert actually consisted almost of one song only: It's All Gone. By coincidence, it's the song that I really really love, and it was breathtaking to hear it performed just like it was performed 25 years ago, even with same rhythm guitar riffs. It was something that meant so much for me and didn't mean that much for the audience that started leaving the hall in earnest after "Let's Dance". There were not so many people who stayed to watch the outro that I also liked. I think the visual part of the concert made it a bit fresher too.
But the main thing for me is that Chris still plays guitars perfectly and that he really is so passionate about everything he sings. He's not become a singing machine, and that's what I value most.
Don't cry, baby don't cry
The worst is gone....
elangelo
REAddict
REAddict

Re: Moscow concert February 9

Post by elangelo »

Sorry, Bart, can you change the topic header? It should say February 9, of course :)
The worst is gone....
Bart
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Bart »

elangelo wrote:Sorry, Bart, can you change the topic header? It should say February 9, of course :)
Done! Thank you for this great review! I must say that "It's all gone" is not one of my favs, but I am still looking forward to hearing it live. For my hearing "looking for the summer" is great to be on the list...
REAgards, Bart (webmaster)
Peter S...
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by Peter S... »

A very good review, thanks for taking the time to post it.

Peter S...
Between the eyes of love I call your name
Behind the guarded walls I used to go
Upon a summer wind there's a certain melody
Takes me back to the place that I know
Down on the beach
FXP
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by FXP »

I just wish someone would record or film when they perform "It's All Gone"... I would like to hear how it sounds nowadays...
Zel
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

Post by Zel »

So I was there and did it. ;) All was classic "last years style", except "Morning Sun". Chris has begun play divine solo from "I can wait for..." Smoothly passed to the main theme of "Santo Spirito" project and another main theme but I couldn't understand which one. He used the yellow Guitar, Solo was more gentle warm, smooth and much delicate rather than in last tour when He played it in "I can wait for..." It was very much unexpectedly and madly beautifully, the hall had frozen and unmoved. Chris has from me the deserved applause at the end of solo, the people have supported mine initiative :). Then He played standard "Morning Sun". SOMETIMES on concert it was necessary to begin to applaud after any solos, because public was frozen. Security cut off any attempts to rise from an chairs. People stupidly pushed away back from a scene. Only to two women have allowed to carry by flowers to the scene. Chris doesn't take flowers , but they didn't know about it. :) In the rest all as in last and times before last. “ It's all gone” hasn't found the response at the majority part of people. Mine applauds In the beginning haven't been supported. What to speak, if the most part publics understand that's Josephine only after Chris started sing :(

PS First center row it's fantastic!!! So near. All details so close :)
tobi777
giga REA-fan
giga REA-fan

Post by tobi777 »

Thanks for the reviews! It was the same in Berlin: most of the people only recognized "Josephine" when Chris already had played about one minute - and even Road To Hell got applause after the intro - strange fans...

I was nearly jumping off my chair when Chris played "It's All Gone" but all the others didn't seem to know this song at all or where sleeping or whatever :?
tobi777
giga REA-fan
giga REA-fan

Post by tobi777 »

I was also a bit disappointed about Max' performance. He seemed to be fast asleep most of the time and played much slower and not as sophisticated he used to. Maybe he is suffering from some health problems?
elangelo
REAddict
REAddict

Post by elangelo »

Zel, the part of the solo you recognized but didn't remember was from "Valentino" of 2009. I found it interesting how he combined part of different songs in that solo.
Yes, I thought of health problems when I saw Max playing, too...
The worst is gone....
Zel
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

Post by Zel »

elangelo wrote:Zel, the part of the solo you recognized but didn't remember was from "Valentino" of 2009. I found it interesting how he combined part of different songs in that solo.
Yes, I thought of health problems when I saw Max playing, too...
When Max played piano it looks like he's sleeping on stage. :( I made "poker face" when security walked down me 8)
Andrey
Translator
Translator

More on this topic

Post by Andrey »

Me and Chris Rea

Me and Max Middleton
Chris is right ! Now the world is on the road to hell...
elangelo
REAddict
REAddict

Post by elangelo »

Max Middleton looks great! :D I think it explains everything: he's simply not that young - but good-looking :lol:
The worst is gone....
Zel
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

Post by Zel »

Ooohhh yea..... You're lucky man!!! I remember how it happens with me. Fantastic feelings! I said to Chris "God bless You Chris". He breath and shook my hand. :D Who knows me, said, that they saw it on TV on the next day after concert.

My friend with his wife will go to concert in Rostov-Na-Donu. His friend works on Radio station in Rostov. They're making promotion of Chris's tour. And Vitaliy (my friend) has Chris's mobile phone number. :shock: :shock: :shock:

P.S. Understood. Max had problem with his eyes. looks red :? That's why he played concert with closed eyes.
Andrey
Translator
Translator

Post by Andrey »

Zel wrote:Ooohhh yea.....
This is exactly what I was saying on the first photo. But before I told him that my favorite song was Josephine.
Chris is right ! Now the world is on the road to hell...