The man The voice The guitar

deleted forum topic - the new single

News about this site and forum
daveid
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

deleted forum topic - the new single

Post by daveid »

There was a forum topic here two or three weeks ago in which myself and one or two others expressed negative comments about the new single and the general direction of CR's new music. The topic seems to have been taken off the board so there are now nothing but positive comments. It's a shame that people aren't allowed to express negative feelings because it invites discussion and can lead to greater appreciation of what is and what isn't good music. I know it's not my forum but I don't think negative comments or topics should be hidden from view.

What I was going to say in fact was that my negative post of a few weeks ago - regarding the new single - was written under the influence of a certain amount of rather disappointing red wine and that having heard the full, uncut album version, I in fact rather like the song. As I said I've been a fan of CR for 16 years, have every album plus many rare singles, and feel that although his output has increased greatly in recent years, it doesn't match the quality - both lyric-wise and in terms of sound production - of his Magnet/Warner records. However the new single sounds technically good and even the lyrics are a bit better!

And I'm still a fan!
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Re: deleted forum topic - the new single

Post by Mr_Blues »

Yes, I´ve notice this thing as well and I can´t help of feeling disappointed about that as that is taking away our freedom of speech. Now what kind of democracy is that? From now on, don´t take away comments or edit them...
Too many good words to add here.
I better just sit back and drink beer. :)
poolie
cREAtive fan
cREAtive fan

Post by poolie »

Hi Guys

I think you will find the comments regarding the new single still to be found as a sub set of the "Discography" heading on the front page.

Poolie
Bart
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Bart »

daveid wrote:There was a forum topic here two or three weeks ago in which myself and one or two others expressed negative comments about the new single and the general direction of CR's new music. The topic seems to have been taken off the board so there are now nothing but positive comments. It's a shame that people aren't allowed to express negative feelings because it invites discussion and can lead to greater appreciation of what is and what isn't good music. I know it's not my forum but I don't think negative comments or topics should be hidden from view.
Hello;

I haven't deleted ANY topics from the forum recently! I have edited some posts lately that contained language that was unnecessary, but never deleted a post (unless it was SPAM!) let alone a whole topic! I have however MOVED some topics lately, since I have created a new category for the new album. Is THIS (link) the topic you are referring to? If it is so, please have a better look on the forum before writing that I ain't allowing people to express their negative feelings!(because I am!) If this is not the topic you are referring to, please let me know so I can try to find out what has happened...
Mr_Blues wrote:Yes, I´ve notice this thing as well and I can´t help of feeling disappointed about that as that is taking away our freedom of speech. Now what kind of democracy is that? From now on, don´t take away comments or edit them...
First of all, I don't think this forum should be a true "democracy". I offer this space on the web for people to have a lively conversation about our "hero". It is NOT of my interest that there should only be positive comments; I like it when there is some discussion and there is plenty of room for people to disagree. On the other hand I want to keep it in control, so I have to watch when people are not being treated right, bad language is used, spam is posted, etc. etc. This my right and perhaps also my responsibility!

Secondly, sometimes it is just necessary to edit a post because of various reasons. I normally add a comment that I have edited a post. Deleting a post is a very serious issue, which I am able to use, but I won't use it light! I have deleted many SPAM (p*rn, etc) posts lately (takes me LOADS of time!), but I haven't deleted a "normal" post in a long time. I know that in my absence (during my summer vacation) there have been some complaints about a post and a moderator has edited (or even deleted, I am not sure about that, sorry!) this post. That is all I can say about it... As far as I can judge I am nowhere "taking away your freedom of speech"...
REAgards, Bart (webmaster)
daveid
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by daveid »

Hi Bart

You're right, I just couldn't find where it was. No offence meant at all.

I was just frustrated as I wanted to undo something I said a few weeks ago and couldn't find the original post. I thought maybe it had been removed. There was an amazing amount of criticism levelled at another poster who mildly grumbled about CR's music. People were telling him he was being very rude for daring to write something very small. Some forums out there have people slagging each other off all the time. This was nothing. I thought maybe that this same attitude may have led to the topic being removed.

Anyway, apologies for getting it wrong.

I must say it's great that there is so much more being discussed on this forum these days. Hopefully with CR's return to mainstream promotion more people may come to this site.
Bart
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Bart »

daveid wrote:Hi Bart

You're right, I just couldn't find where it was. No offence meant at all.
Hello;
Thanks for your swift response. I am very relieved (happy) that you have found the original post and this is settled. I hope you can imagine that I indeed felt a bit offended by the two comments, as my prime concern on this site is to keep my visitors as much happy as possible. Therefore I sometimes have to choose between people who are offended by a post and people who think it is there "freedom of speech" to put something that way... I always do my best to keep it up (with the help of some moderators) and - as I have already stated - it is in no of my concern to remove "negative" comments. I try to look at my appearance here like two completely different roles. First I am a Chris Rea fan who has his own oppinions about Chris and his music, and who can deeply disagree with someone stating a negative comment about something. My other role here is as owner of this site and forum to try to keep it good for all visitors. Although I always try to keep these two roles strictly separated, I am also human and I have my emotions... And this last thing was to be read in my previous post on this topic... I hope you can now understand my reaction.
daveid wrote:I must say it's great that there is so much more being discussed on this forum these days. Hopefully with CR's return to mainstream promotion more people may come to this site.
Thank you very much! I share this hope and I hope we can all enjoy Chris' music and this forum, each on our own way...

PS: As English is not my first language it is sometimes very hard for me to find the right words to express something. Please bear with me as I am trying to express myself as good as I can… :-S
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by Mr_Blues »

Bart wrote:
daveid wrote:There was a forum topic here two or three weeks ago in which myself and one or two others expressed negative comments about the new single and the general direction of CR's new music. The topic seems to have been taken off the board so there are now nothing but positive comments. It's a shame that people aren't allowed to express negative feelings because it invites discussion and can lead to greater appreciation of what is and what isn't good music. I know it's not my forum but I don't think negative comments or topics should be hidden from view.
Hello;

I haven't deleted ANY topics from the forum recently! I have edited some posts lately that contained language that was unnecessary, but never deleted a post (unless it was SPAM!) let alone a whole topic! I have however MOVED some topics lately, since I have created a new category for the new album. Is THIS (link) the topic you are referring to? If it is so, please have a better look on the forum before writing that I ain't allowing people to express their negative feelings!(because I am!) If this is not the topic you are referring to, please let me know so I can try to find out what has happened...
Mr_Blues wrote:Yes, I´ve notice this thing as well and I can´t help of feeling disappointed about that as that is taking away our freedom of speech. Now what kind of democracy is that? From now on, don´t take away comments or edit them...
First of all, I don't think this forum should be a true "democracy". I offer this space on the web for people to have a lively conversation about our "hero". It is NOT of my interest that there should only be positive comments; I like it when there is some discussion and there is plenty of room for people to disagree. On the other hand I want to keep it in control, so I have to watch when people are not being treated right, bad language is used, spam is posted, etc. etc. This my right and perhaps also my responsibility!

Secondly, sometimes it is just necessary to edit a post because of various reasons. I normally add a comment that I have edited a post. Deleting a post is a very serious issue, which I am able to use, but I won't use it light! I have deleted many SPAM (p*rn, etc) posts lately (takes me LOADS of time!), but I haven't deleted a "normal" post in a long time. I know that in my absence (during my summer vacation) there have been some complaints about a post and a moderator has edited (or even deleted, I am not sure about that, sorry!) this post. That is all I can say about it... As far as I can judge I am nowhere "taking away your freedom of speech"...
OK, let´s just let it be.
Good to know that you ain´t against of negative comments as sometimes there has to be them, it´s just life.
Too many good words to add here.
I better just sit back and drink beer. :)
Bart
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Bart »

Mr_Blues wrote:OK, let´s just let it be.
Good to know that you ain´t against of negative comments as sometimes there has to be them, it´s just life.
Mr.B, thanks for your response!
Great to see this has settled then...! You are right when you mention I have - from the site-owner point of view! - nothing against negative comments (and I agree with you, sometimes there just have to be these comments, at least to have a good discussion started!); although I won't always agree with them from the chris-rea-fan-point-of-view! :-D
Bart
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Bart »

PS; if it is alright with you I move this topic to "about this site" which seems a more appropriete location then "news". Also I'll close this topic. If anyone wants to add another point of view, please let me know then I'll reopen this topic!