The man The voice The guitar

Chris Rea "B Sides and Singles" recordings

All topics concerning Chris' discography
vivienne
cREAtive fan
cREAtive fan

Re: Chris Rea "B Sides and Singles" recordings

Post by vivienne »

You need to include Se Sequi. This is a beautiful instrumental.
'Til the morning sun shines
On my love and me
LRS1979
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by LRS1979 »

OK, so I have reached three CD's of B-sides so far, and I think it's pretty much definitive.
Here are the tracks, please let me know if I have missed anything out, officially released so far.

CD1

CD2

CD3
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

Hi all,

since this enormous discussion has long gone far beyond the official B-sides, and even The Lost Tape has been mentioned, I suppose more almost unknown CR songs have to be mentiond here:

So In Love (not to be confused with So Much Love)
Love Is the Way
When Love Comes

These songs were written by Chris in the mid 70's and sung by The Beautiful Losers, and the first two of the three songs mentioned above, in addition to being played live, were reportedly studio-recorded on a demo-tape.

BTW, I was surprised to know that such songs as Diamonds, Because of You, When You Know That Your Love Has Died
Nothing's Happening by the Sea, Midnight Love, and especially The Memory of a Good Friend were written that early (mid 70's), and of course, not to forget about Fool If You Think It's Over which is said by Chris to be one of the first songs he ever did write, while being released no sooner than 1978... Twisted Wheel, the opener of Deltics album, is about a club in Manchester, which is said by Chris to have been a dream place to attend when he was a youngster, so I presume it is a very early song as well.

Hope to make this thread alive again,

best regards
Andrey
My VK fan page for Chris Rea in Russian: http://vk.com/chris_rea
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

Hi every one,

just found out by accident, listening to Soft Top Hard Shoulder movie, that there are at least 3 instrumental pieces, each about 1-1.5 minutes long, which are not released as B-sides, though they are definitely authentic and self-valuable tunes. One can be heard in the film ca. 20 min, a faster version of the main tune, the other is heard ca. 40 min plus a fnal theme in the very end, ca. 87 min. - it also can be heard in the very beginning of Saarbruecken concert (1993-03-28) before Chris appears on stage to start play Auberge improvised intro.

All in all, 3 more "B-sides" to add to the list. Sad we know no names of these tunes and they are not on CDs.

best regards
Andrey

PS: BTW, did anybody have a chance to watch Cross Country movie from 1983 in which an instrumental version of Tennis is told to appear?
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

Hi everyone,

recalling the talk above on Soft Top, Hard Shoulder movie, for which Chrish has written the entire soundtrack, I have just found out by accident that the film was recently remastered for high definition streming via Vimeo on Demand service: https://vimeo.com/ondemand/softtop/80712560

Now that you can watch the original movie in 1080p definition and enjoy Chris's pieces of instrumental music (lots of which are unique and unavailable elsewhere) with high quality sound. It is possible to watch online or download the film, for quite a reasonable charge.

best regards
Andrey
Jim M
Support
Support

Post by Jim M »

Hi ALL
I bought the Soft Top / Hard Shoulder DVD some time ago.
I also have 2 EP CD's (both East/West CD's) w/same title
4509-91690-2 YZ710CD France CA711 Made in Germany
Soft Top,Hard Shoulder
One Fine Day
One Sweet and Tender Touch
Sierra,Sierra

4509-91691-2 YZ710CDX
Soft Top,Hard Shoulder
Melancholy
The Van Stomp/Glasgow Horizon
Soft Top,Hard Shoulder (Half Time Version)
Nothings Happening By The Sea
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

Hi Jim,

thanks a lot for your comment,

yes, all these issues contain a heap of rarities: YZ710CD single offers 3 tunes from an unnamed and unreleased album recorded in late 1980 and supposed to be released in Jan 1981 (known to fans as 'The Lost Tape'), while YZ710CDX includes 3 instrumental pieces from Soft Top movie. The film itself gives possibility to listen to at least 5 more instrumental themes, as I have already previously written. It is a pity only 3 of these pieces were issued as an audio record.

Most of these B-sides are unique and uvailable on any other official release (Soft Top half-time version available also on 7'' single and Tender Touch gospel version previously released on Que Sera CDMAG 318 single in Feb 1988).

best regards
Andrey
tobi777
giga REA-fan
giga REA-fan

Post by tobi777 »

Hi all,

just found this old thread (most interesting, btw!) and have a question:

Andrey, you said:
...Fool If You Think It's Over which is said by Chris to be one of the first songs he ever did write...
He says these words as an introdduction to this song e.g. on the Sydney '87 recording and I always thought he said: "one of the first song I ever did right" - kind of: one of the early songs that really worked in comparison to earlier demos etc.

Anyone?

Cheers,
Tobi