The man The voice The guitar

Listening to Everything or just Old or New??

All topics concerning Chris' discography
Zgred
REAddict
REAddict

Re: Listening to Everything or just Old or New??

Post by Zgred »

Dear Tina

Now I don't know if you're pulling my leg or not :D

You need more than one word to describe what "Word" means. And you don't get it but find it funny. Still you are the native English speaker, not me. I'm lost :lol:

It's just total agreement.
What I meant was this album (RTH p2) has much potential, many people consider it musically worse (I don't) so let's have it as is for awhile, but lyrics are brilliant as usual and the whole record is very consistent, and I like it that way, and I don't like it when Chris Rea says he doesn't like it. Image
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

Zgred wrote:"Word"
I get it Zgred, :lol: :lol: It started in American Rap, Vanilla Ice to be specific!
(you know, with the hand sign that goes with it), I always thought it was ridiculously funny! :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp-is6S_ ... re=related

Not to get out of topic, but here's one of the funniest Ice impersonations by Jim Carrey:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98lXpDKzHFQ

Ok, I couldn't resist, here's another real stupid one by Jim Carrey (he's so funny!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWry1IMMJcA&NR=1

Zgred wrote:and I don't like it when Chris Rea says he doesn't like it.
I don't like it when Chris says that about a lot of things!! Himself, his voice, his concerts.
He says it all the time. And the reason he gives is that he could have done it better!! Go figure.

Lily
alan1958
guitaREA
guitaREA

Post by alan1958 »

Lily said "Ok, I couldn't resist, here's another real stupid one by Jim Carrey (he's so funny!) "

..........Everytime my wife or I parks the car in a tight spot , someone, usually one of the kids says "LIKE A GLOVE" , in honour of Ace Ventura ........Carrey has got to be visually & facially ,one of the funniest guys ever :)

..........typical perfectionist , Chris Rea is not alone, as you often hear of musicians who actually don't like certain things ...........Jimi Hendrix was so embarrassed about his singing voice , that he would face the wall in the studio rather than have the other band members see him sing :shock: :?

p.s is it to late to say that I listen to RTH p2 more than part 1 :? :?
Zgred
REAddict
REAddict

Post by Zgred »

lilybee wrote:(you know, with the hand sign that goes with it), I always thought it was ridiculously funny! :lol:
Speaking of hand sign, I was actually tempted to put another altered picture instead of simple "Word." but... it's been risky round here... ;)
lilybee wrote:Ok, I couldn't resist, here's another real stupid one by Jim Carrey (he's so funny!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWry1IMMJcA&NR=1
I guess you already know the real, true classic:
http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=7ubXBHyOmBA
But why not see it one more time? :D It's so hilarious killer and Carrey beats the crap out of me :lol: 11/10
lilybee wrote:I don't like it when Chris says that about a lot of things!! Himself, his voice, his concerts.
He says it all the time. And the reason he gives is that he could have done it better!! Go figure.
alan1958 wrote:..........typical perfectionist , Chris Rea is not alone, as you often hear of musicians who actually don't like certain things ...........Jimi Hendrix was so embarrassed about his singing voice , that he would face the wall in the studio rather than have the other band members see him sing :shock: :?
Word.

Gone, figured. :D Yes of course I know what's that all about. About concerts, hmm, knowing he's the privacy keeping kind of person, I understand not much interaction with audiences, however I miss it because I've seen artists that do interact, and that's great "climate builder" (is it right term?). Was excited when (my first time) during the concert Chris encouraged people to join in "on the beach" fun, and bit disappointed when realised he does this exactly the same way at each concert... whatever, you might like it or not but that's the story goes.
But b****ing about his voice, oh please... Sure it's not trained opera voice, but it's totally unique, emotional and smoky, yet incredibly fitting to his songs. I totally cannot imagine any other vocal in "Windy Town"... and other 95% songs :D
Alan, what say if Hendrix ranted about his guitar playing, that he doesn't really enjoy it but somehow people like it. :D CR is teasing us... his voice is his brand.

One more point, he doesn't really complain about his health, and having half of the stomach removed, and still doing what he's doing... ULTRA BIG RESPECT. The man's tough and determined as hell.
alan1958 wrote:p.s is it to late to say that I listen to RTH p2 more than part 1 :? :?
Of course not. You're welcomed to the Delegalized and Oppressed RTH part 2 Fan Club Image
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Zgred wrote:Dear Tina
Zgred!! Whats with this "DEAR" no one ever addresses me as "Dear" :lol: :lol:
Zgred wrote:You need more than one word to describe what "Word" means
No not to describe that word I just like MORE than one word thats all.What was funny was the way it was just the one word.
lilybee wrote:I don't like it when Chris says that about a lot of things!! Himself, his voice, his concerts.

Totally agree.Chris is never happy with what he does.It's as Alan says he is just a total perfectionist and nothing will ever be good enough for someone that fussy.
alan1958 wrote:Carrey has got to be visually & facially ,one of the funniest guys ever :)

I love Jim Carrey.I wonder what he would be like if he had a serious roll.I bet he would be fanastic.I think he is the kind of actor that could do any roll.
Zgred wrote:One more point, he doesn't really complain about his health, and having half of the stomach removed, and still doing what he's doing... ULTRA BIG RESPECT. The man's tough and determined as hell.
Totally agree with you Zgred. :) :)
Tina :) :)
Pick up the pieces and start again.
Zgred
REAddict
REAddict

Post by Zgred »

Tina3 wrote:Zgred!! Whats with this "DEAR" no one ever addresses me as "Dear" :lol: :lol:
Is it even possible to not call a person like you "dear" ? ;)
Hey, I hope this was a joke... and you do hear it...
Tina3 wrote:No not to describe that word I just like MORE than one word thats all.What was funny was the way it was just the one word.
True.

:D :D :D :D
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Zgred,
You are so funny :lol: :lol: That depends wheather you mean a nice "dear" or the not so nice "dear".I will choose to take it that you mean dear in a nice way so thankyou. :) :)
imagemkr
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by imagemkr »

Tina3 wrote:
imagemkr wrote:and on Blue Street (Five Guitars), there are three songs - Piano Break, Still Going To A Go Go, and Are You Ready, that CR combined into just 'Are You Ready' for the Blue Guitars (Gospel, Soul Blues and Motown) CD.
I know these songs BUT I didn't know Chris combined them together to make Are You Ready.How do you find out pieces of information like that? :)
Hi Tina -

Well, listen to BG (Gospel....) Are You Ready. Its' about 6min something. Then put on Blue Street, and listen to Piano Break, Still Going To A Go Go, and Are You Ready in order (they are in order on the CD) and you tell me :lol: :lol:
chrismiller
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by chrismiller »

Hey everybody,
Tina3 wrote:

Totally agree.Chris is never happy with what he does.It's as Alan says he is just a total perfectionist and nothing will ever be good enough for someone that fussy.
Agree, too... "CR: Every time I look at myself, or listen to myself live, I just run away." :D
Tina3 wrote: I love Jim Carrey.I wonder what he would be like if he had a serious roll.I bet he would be fanastic.I think he is the kind of actor that could do any roll.
Tina, let me recommend you Man on the Moon or the five-star movie Number 23, the latest 'serious' role of Jim Carrey... but if you don't like thrillers here's another: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Don't miss it! Carrey's performance simply shocked me, and I have to tell you I don't like him so much in comedies. Great story, great actors (including Kate Winslet and Tom Wilkinson), great emotions and (finally! :) ) Jim Carrey showing his talents. Five-stars plus.

Chris
You can waste a whole lifetime trying to be what you think that's expected of you
But you'll never be free.
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

I will be sure to look these up.I have always wanted to see Jim play a serious roll as I think he is an excellent actor.Thanks for the information Chris :)
Jim M
Support
Support

Post by Jim M »

THe Jim Carey (a Canadian by the way) clips are of course from In Living Colour (I really enjoyed his character fire marshal Bill) where he was the only white guy in a great cast that went on to do alot of stuff(the wayman brothers)
The story goes that Jim was living in his car in LA with nothing when he got his big break !
Man on the Moon is an incredible performance ! I was a big Andy Koffman fan and 2 minutes into the movie you forget it's Jim Carey playing Andy Koffman.
Jim
Nothings Happening By The Sea
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

Jim Carrey is another great Canadian import, :D

I used to watch In Living Color while I lived in NYC, and I thought Carrey was hilarious, though sensored at times (Marshall Bill and Vera de Milo), but he always stood out to me on that show.
just one last one of Jim.... :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Icb_tRTn ... re=related

The first serious role I saw him perform was on "Doing Time on Maple Drive", a 1992 made-for TV movie, where he plays an alcoholic college dropout brother to the main character.

But he really stroked me as a serious actor on The Truman Show, on the boat scene when they tried to drown him; and then , Spotless and 23; but I found him annoying on Man on the Moon, only because I found Andy Kaufman annoying.
( I much preferred "Jim" Christopher Lloyd, on Taxi).

Lily
Jim M
Support
Support

Post by Jim M »

LIly
Knowing a little how Andy Kauffman thought he'd be proud of the fact he annoyed you.
He relly didn't care what people thought of him and the more he could annoy the happier he was.
As you know he HATTED the Latka role on taxi and tried everything to get out of it.
I agree i loved Jim on Taxi -I think he's driven me in a cab before !
Jim
Nothings Happening By The Sea
blueskev

Post by blueskev »

The main reason why we haven't had any official live recording before TRTH&B is that he hates to hear himself live. In a way I can understand it, I hate to hear my voice on a recording or see myself on video. It's a shame, because a Delmonts live CD/DVD would have sold millions.
Have you noticed how in interviews he refers to himself in the third person?

I have joined this thread late, but to answer the original question, for me it is 80% new stuff and I can't remember the last time I listened to RTHP2. There were a couple of songs that I liked but I was disappointed with it.

Kev.
It's just me
and my deep blue ways...
Zgred
REAddict
REAddict

Post by Zgred »

blueskev wrote:[...] for me it is 80% new stuff and I can't remember the last time I listened to RTHP2. There were a couple of songs that I liked but I was disappointed with it.
Ah-ha! Image
We, the sad-faced men in black suits, are coming to get you, to give you the very Road to Hell!