The man The voice The guitar

Listening to Everything or just Old or New??

All topics concerning Chris' discography
imagemkr
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Listening to Everything or just Old or New??

Post by imagemkr »

I pretty much listen to CR all the time. Heck, there's so much you can listen for weeks and not repeat. Just wondering what most of you listens to - the new stuff, the old stuff, or a mix?? i do tend to play the full albums mostly and skip the 'singles' just because they end so soon and I have to find another, but i play most of them in their entirety. Must admit I haven't been playing much of Benny, Deltics or Tennis, but there are some great tunes on these early albums.

I'd say the most play goes from Wired To The Moon to GGBS, and then DDTSR to the present.

Most of my listening is in the car on my iPod and with my bad close up vision, I can't tell what the xxxx I'm getting when I just spin and click!! :lol: :lol:
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Re: Listening to Everything or just Old or New??

Post by lilybee »

Hi Thom, :D

I have listened so much to all the regular Chris albums that now the B sides have become new to me. I burned them on a CD so I can have them all together, and listen to that in my car, since I do a lot of driving. I use iTunes on my Mac, while working on it. I also have 8GB of videos on my iPhone, plus all Mp3s.

I flip from old to new; like you said, there's so much to listen to it doesn't repeat, so you never get tired of it. 8)

Lily
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

Hi Thom and Lily,

I must admit I'm listening to Chris Rea selectively now. Early this morning, for instance, upon hearing "Fool if you think it's over" on a local radio as we were having breakfast, I went upstairs afterwards and pulled out the BS album, dusted it off and am listening right now to all of the songs on it. The radio stations everywhere tend to play "the main stream" music, therefore all one can hear is "The Road to Hell" over and over again. Since we have summer, they also play a lot "On the Beach", but that's about it.
I do have all of his his tunes that I own (all albums and sizable collection of "singles" and EPs), on my iTunes. I copied them from there to CDs and have them in my car to feel the air as I'm on the road.
My wife is asking me, from time to time, to "put on some different music", so I play mainly Italian tunes. I don't know if you are familiar with Lucio Dalla, Francesco De Gregori, Gianmaria Testa, Paolo Conte....? I could go on and on only to end up with some French performers, such as Renaud, Francis Carbel....... Lily, I think it could be your type of music too.
But I'm also very much into Tom Waits, Tom Petty as well as Cajun music.
Well, It's getting hot over here, even though it's only 8 o'clock (A.M.)
Best regards to all,
Chris
Last edited by Chris on 27 Jul 2008, 11:59, edited 2 times in total.
Bart
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Bart »

Although I like Blue guitars and TROTFHBN very much, I prefer to play the older stuff (specially live versions); Deltics, Chris Rea, Wired, Dancing, On the beach, etc. But then again, love Aiberge and GGBSK as well, not to forget The road and King of the beach. Actually the only albums that are not my most favourites (akthough I still like them as wel) are WHTBS, TRTH2, DDTSR, Blue Jukebox; with the last two being my least favourite albums. So everall, one might say I slightly prefer the older stuff...
Chris wrote:The radio stations everywhere tend to play "the main stream" music, therefore all one can hear is "The Road to Hell" over and over again.
Do they really play TRTH ?? That would be great! Over here they play the singles as well (actually quite a lot; almost everyday Chris is on the radio) but they only play (in oder of popularity) Josephene, On the beach, heartbeat and driving home. That's all there is. I actually cannot remember hearing TRTH (my fav. of all time) on the radio ever ... :( :(
PS: one question out of curiousity; why do you type most of your reactions in "Bold"?
REAgards, Bart (webmaster)
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

Hi Bart,

Sorry, there's no reason at all. I just though that bold text is more clearly readable against gray background.
I think I can fix that right a way.
Take care,
Chris
alan1958
guitaREA
guitaREA

Post by alan1958 »

Like most of you , it depends on the mood / place .....
My car has an ipod full of CR...(all albums -b-sides etc) and I leave it on shuffle ,and will only skip something if i've heard it too often.
My shop also has an ipod full of CR...(all albums -b-sides etc) and I leave it on shuffle ....but i've made some great playlists ...CR Summer/Beach(116 songs on there with all the remixes and different live & studio versions
.....another playlist is CR-GUITARmix (62 songs inc BlueStreet ,HBN,Delmonts)
.....another playlist is CR-Dance-mix (57 songs inc all the 12"remixes)
These are on when the time is right , depending on the crowd ,but no matter what I play in my shop ,people always seem to like him ,especially the things they don't know ...2 people yesterday asked what was on at the same time :shock: .. it was "Love's Strange ways " .......another of my most requested is "THE BLUE JUKEBOX" ....and I was always the same as Bart , but now I play it a lot ,as Somebody Say Amen ,Long Is The Time, Hard Is The Road & Monday Morning have all got my cutomers back into buying recent CR ..almost as many as BLUE GUITARS , as I played it every day for at least a year .........is this the reason my staff keep leaving :lol: :lol: :lol:
I will jump from Dancing with Charlie to Sail Away .........it's all great ......
least played album ????? THE ROAD TO HELL .....probably because it was never off the radio :)
CHRIS said;...But I'm also very much into Tom Waits.....I am going to see him in concert in EDINBURGH tomorrow night ....hows that for a coincidence :D
imagemkr
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by imagemkr »

Well, I've never seen Tom Waits in concert, but I see him all the time at the Post Office :lol: :lol: :lol:
He lives in Valley Ford!
Bart
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Bart »

Chris wrote:Hi Bart,

Sorry, there's no reason at all. I just though that bold text is more clearly readable against gray background.
I think I can fix that right a way.
Take care,
Chris
Hello Chris;

Please don't appoligies; no "sorry"!! You really don't have to change it as there is no problem with it!! I just wondered wy you did at as I just thought it is slightly less readable ... But please be my guest and do as you like (as long as you don't use a pink-colored font-size "huge" :D :D all the time).
Have a good day!
REAgards, Bart (webmaster)
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

Hi all,
Chris Rea is pretty much on my mind, all the time and I even "speak using his texts", but there are other fine performers.
Unfortunately for his fans, Tom Waits was not in Warsaw this time around. He went from Milan to Prague instead, jumped to Spain and then on to the UK. The thing is, his songs are great when not necessarily sang by him. Take for example "Jersey Girl" covered by Bruce Springsteen or "Downtown Train" sang by Rod Stewart.
The other performer whom I missed somehow is Leon Redbone ("No Regrets", "Mr. & Mrs. Used To Be"), but with him it would be a different story as he's more jazz than rock or blues.
Take care,
Chris
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Hi All,
At the moment it's a bit of both between K.O.T.B and B.G.One album I haver been listening to a lot because its new to me is Herzklpfen.I have it about 3 weeks and I haven't had it off the turntable.Another one I love to listen to are the B sides .If I am out and about I usually listen to my iPod so it could be anything from B.G to Benny Sentini. I haven't listened to The Blue Jukebox in years so I think I will get that out and have a listen.
Chris I love the way you write in "bold" makes it so much easier to read :).
I am the same as you Alan...I haven't listened to T.R.T.H either.
Tina :) :)
Pick up the pieces and start again.
imagemkr
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by imagemkr »

I'm going to listen to all the "Blue" albums now.

Blue Streets
Blue Jukebox
Blue Cafe
and of course, all 11 CDs of Blue Guitars.

That should keep me going this week. :lol: :lol:
Zgred
REAddict
REAddict

Post by Zgred »

I tend to listen a bit randomly, just when I have the need to hear Chris' voice (once every hour? :D).
I look at the titles, pick the one that I didn't hear for a while and which fits the mood at the moment.

New stuff vs old... hehe... do I see a flame war coming? ;) Somehow I still like the "old bad rotten commercial stinky Chris Rea". I'd even say that TRTH Part 2 is quite well, despite even the Man telling it's shite. Hit me with a stick. I like it. Have "I feel so good today... I won't let nothing get in my way" flowing through my veins and you can do nothin' 'bout it ;)

The new stuff is different, way more mature and powerful. Okay, it is better, but it doesn't mean that oldies are worse :D

So I guess this fits in "Everything". Large pink font here, ha ha ha, oh I am so mean.

And hey, they play a lot of "Julia" on the radio, or this is strange twist of fate that I often bump on it. "Driving home for Christmas" rather to be heard around, well, Christmas, together with George Michael's "Last Christmas" :lol: Both tunes high on my list, anyway...
chrismiller
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by chrismiller »

Hey everyone,

Actually I'm listening a wide mix of music all the time; mainly depending on my mood, including Springsteen, B. Adams, Johnny Cash, Joe Cocker, Tina Turner and a lot more; but there's no day without Chris Rea.
Every time I paint I'm listening to Blue Guitars... actually that's the only album fits since I started painting because of CR and that's the album long enough for oil painting... it takes a bunch of time :lol:

On the radio stations; there's a local one called 'Slager Radio' (this means top-hit) that plays Chris Rea almost every day though mainly the hits (according to the name) like The Road to Hell, Julia, Auberge, On the Beach, Looking for the Summer, Fool and Driving Home for Chris-mas.
There's also an audio clip recorded this March and usually played before the songs says 'Hey, this is Chris Rea. You're listening to Slager Radio.' :D
Bart wrote:Actually the only albums that are not my most favourites (akthough I still like them as wel) are WHTBS, TRTH2, DDTSR, Blue Jukebox; with the last two being my least favourite albums.
I remember I bought TRTH2 about 2 years ago for 2 pounds and I still can't get it completely. I mean, the label probably pushed CR hard and I really appreciate the musical knowledge behind the songs but the album at all, well... erhm... I remember playing it twice and that's all.
Blue Jukebox is not an album for listening while working or driving etc. I usually call it as a... well, I might not tell you what I call it actually since I'd like to keep my language away from PG... the point is it has to be listened from the bed and not alone. :D
So somehow I agree, Bart, though DDTSR is one of my favourite albums with all those rough tones and voice smokier than ever before.
Besides, from oldies I love Dancing with Strangers a lot (same age as mine), TRTH, Espresso Logic, The Blue Cafe and I play the 1995 Best Of pretty much; since I can't get enough of Three Little Green Candles and I also like the Elton duet (don't hit me, Lily :D ).

Great to be with you again,
Chris
You can waste a whole lifetime trying to be what you think that's expected of you
But you'll never be free.
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

chrismiller wrote:Hey everyone,
.... and I also like the Elton duet (don't hit me, Lily :D ).
Chris
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ok, I won't, only cause it's you Chris, :D

It's not that it's a bad song, it's just a matter of taste.
(did I mention I don't like Diamonds either...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Not too crazy about TRTH2 ..... :(

Lily
mark hughes
dREAm fan
dREAm fan

Post by mark hughes »

I listen to old and new and having recently bought Tennis, Shamrock Diaries and Watersign on CD (I have only had these albums on tape for years) I have been listening to them a lot recently. The only albums which don't or very rarely get a look in are TRTHP2, DDTSR and the Delmots CD but apart from them they are all listened to. I find that once I have put an album on in the car then it won't be changed for about a month! I just play it over and over again. There is only one other artist I listen to in this way and that is Mark Knopfler, any album I put on by another artist will usually be changed after a couple of plays.
...In this garden I will burn my callous robes...