The man The voice The guitar

Unreleased material from Stony Road sessions?

All topics concerning Chris' discography
alan1958
guitaREA
guitaREA

Unreleased material from Stony Road sessions?

Post by alan1958 »

Lily mentioned unreleased material in another topic .....well , what a coincidence , as I can imagine there are lots , and I think I spotted some tonight :shock:
Watching the dvd of the making of Stony road ...if you look very carefully , during the recording of "Heading for the City" ,there is a chalkboard behind Robert , with all the songs to rehearse/record .......in amongst the songs that would appear on the album( Easy Rider/Stony/Qualified..etc) , you can see;
Born Bad (Eventually on BG) ,,
Red Shoes (from Auberge?),,
Your Love is Setting Me Free (Dance versions with Waterman)
and a song called.........with The Working Day !!!

I am sure these tracks must be around somewhere ...and I think we would all love to hear them :D .....
Dancing Down The Stony Road The Definitive 3 - Disc version anyone ???????????
:D
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Re: Unreleased material from Stony Road sessions?

Post by lilybee »

Hi Alan, :D

I remember that part on the video, but I didn't read the board!

I'll have to go back and look it over..... :D

Didn't Chris also have a bunch of notes in his notebok in TRTHAB documentary....?

I think those were biography notes though, but some may have been songs.

He said on interviews he always starts his songs as poems, then goes to the piano and adds the music.
(I guess he does everything else after that...!)

He also says he doesn't keep any of his rejects. (I bet his daughters do.... :lol: )

Lily
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Hi Alan/Lily,
Like Lily says Alan I remember the chalk board but but I didn't read it either.Well only one thing for it I will have to go back and watch again :)
Tina :) :)
Pick up the pieces and start again.
Bart
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Bart »

lilybee wrote:He also says he doesn't keep any of his rejects. (I bet his daughters do.... :lol: )
I bet they don't ... :( :( At least Chris doesn't allow them. I have once heard about an "agreement" to trash everything that is still unfinnished on the shelf once Chris is no longer ... (you know what I mean) to prevent unfinished material from being published. Chris seems to be very strickt and rather trashes things then publish something he isn't completely satisfied with...
REAgards, Bart (webmaster)
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

Hi Alan, Tina, Bart & others,

I don't remember that chalkboard, though I surely believe it was all true there, but I remember how I noticed Chris and his band playing sound pieces of Call On Me (from BG CD8) on this video... someone else noticing the same?
My VK fan page for Chris Rea in Russian: http://vk.com/chris_rea
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Hi Everyone,
Hi Andrew hope you are keeping well
andrew fischer wrote:but I remember how I noticed Chris and his band playing sound pieces of Call On Me (from BG CD8) on this video... someone else noticing the same?
I remember this then I thought I had got it wrong or mixed it up with something else.Glad I am not imagining it. :)
Tina :) :)
Pick up the pieces and start again.
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

andrew fischer wrote:Hi Alan, Tina, Bart & others,

I don't remember that chalkboard, though I surely believe it was all true there, but I remember how I noticed Chris and his band playing sound pieces of Call On Me (from BG CD8) on this video... someone else noticing the same?
Hi Andrew!! Good to see you :D

Call On Me is one of my favorites there too, I still haven't looked at the dvd, but when I find that portion I'll give you all a link to it.

Lily
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

Hello Lily & others,

I checked up and during the 15th minute (after Chris speaks 'bout Fool) of the film Chris and the band are definitely playing Call On Me. There're also indeed some weird names on the chalkboard - Alan had already mentioned them. I really do wonder what could be Your Love's Settin' Me Free like if they played it in the Stony Road style!!! More to say, you can notice that Born Bad, whauch appears on the board, is one which is chosen for the new "best of" from 137 BG songs !!! I really wonder why.

There're also a couple or more unusual sounding versions of Stony Road song - so it could have been far different from that we know...

By the way, a question to those who watches the film carefully - what is the song Chris & band perform during 20-21st minute of the video and whether it appears on 2CD Stony road? I don't remember...

May your shadow never grow less,
&ru
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

Hi all,

Just rewatched the Stony Road documentary, indeed, upon rehearsal in the beginning of the video a chalkboard behind Robert with ca. 16 songs reads some titles out of the Stony Road album:

Big Like John Wayne
Born Bad
Getting On with No Working Day
Keep On Keeping On
Red Shoes
Your Love Is Setting Me Free
Still Going to the Go Go

And on the 14-15th minute (right after Fool story) the band is apparently playing Call On Me
On the 18th minute (Chris with an acoustic slide talking about longing) definitely plays the intro to Till the Morning Sun Shines
Plus an inidentifiable new song is played by Ed and Chris at the start of chapter 5 (19th min.), sounds pretty like Steam Train Blues, but I suspect it might be Getting On with No Working Day

In the end of the video, you can see the chalkboard as well at Sol Mill studios, where 23 songs are listed, still including Born Bad, Go Go and Red Shoes, while only 20 appear on the album.

God, I wish there were some B-sides for the singles from Stony Road (Dancing the Blues Away, Diamond, Sun Is Rising)...

Best regards
Andrey
Last edited by andrew fischer on 26 Jan 2014, 14:20, edited 3 times in total.
veherny
dREAm fan
dREAm fan

Post by veherny »

Hi friends!!

I HOPE THIS ALSO! I hope cd spanish blues ALSO NOT ENTERED in the ear book for lack of time I have understood

gREAt hug
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

veherny wrote:Hi friends!!

I HOPE THIS ALSO! I hope cd spanish blues ALSO NOT ENTERED in the ear book for lack of time I have understood

gREAt hug
Dear Hernan,

I never heard Chris speaking exactly about Spanish Blues deleted from Blue Guitars, I think Latin Blues is the same as Spanish, is it not?..

But I clearly recall Chris talking about a CD of what could be called Italian Blues, he mentions it in the video from the art galley in Netherlands and in the Blue Guitars book itself. He said he wish to include the Italian folk music into the blues book, but then decided it would be too far from the roots to make people understand it right. He mentioned it was initially planned to be 15 CDs on Blue Guitars, but he had to stop somewhere.

The proof of this is that Chris mentiones Andorra Blues in the book, which later appeared on The Delmonts CD.

best regards
Andrey