andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Re: CR Official Live Recordings

Post by andrew fischer »

Hi all,

there's quite an amazing lot at the British Ebay put recently:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHRIS-REA-10- ... 43c5d23a6c

The year in the description is put incorrectly - it is Apr, 28, 1994 not 1984. The setlist is also not mentioned correctly as the order of the tapes seems to be mixed, but these are master tapes, not broadcast disc, so who knows...

The setlist of the other gigs in 1994 tour was:
1 This kind of love
2 Soup of the day
3 Josephine
4 On the beach
5 Red
6 Daytona (not on this record)
7 Nothing to fear
8 Espresso logic
9 Julia (not on this record)
10 The road to hell (not on this record)
11 Working on it
12 Let's dance
13 Set me free

Maybe there is 4th tape missing, or maybe they edited the list for a 60 min. radio programme. I also cannot judge if Apr, 28 is the date of the recording or the broadcast date. Thus it is quite unclear at which venue this recording might have been made.

This must be the most expensive original recording of Chris I ever met on E-bay so far.
It would be quite good if the item ends up in good hands of someone who could share this recording, since I know of no good quality full gig audio recording form that tour.

Thanks for any comments on this,

best regards
Andrey
My VK fan page for Chris Rea in Russian: http://vk.com/chris_rea
poolie
cREAtive fan
cREAtive fan

Post by poolie »

Hi Andrey

I think I have some answers for you again as the reference point I have gone back to my catalogue of Fan Club Newsletters and in particular the Summer 1994 edition.

A group of about 50 UK fans went to see Chris perform at the Grand Rex in Paris in February/March and the set list you show was the one played. On the 29th March 1994 some of that group went to Glasgow to take part in the recording of Loudon and Co in which Chris was a guest. Whilst I think 3 songs were transmitted in the show itself Chris gave an hour long set and all the tracks you list as being on the e bay cd form that set list. So I think we can assume that the recording is a BBC one ( unless it was an audience recording) and therefore of high quality.

Hope this helps

Poolie
poolie
cREAtive fan
cREAtive fan

Post by poolie »

By way of a PS Andrey the Spring Newsletter for 1994 lists the Paris gig as Monday 14th March followed later in the month on the 21st and 22nd at the Music Hall Toronto, the 23rd at the Spectrum Montreal and on the 25th in New York at a venue to be confirmed.

Poolie
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

Dear Poolie,

thank you very much indeed!

Now it becomes far more clear.

There is not a CD on E-Bay, not a broadcast disc at all, but the 1/4'' master tapes! So it is not an audience recording (who would try to sell an audience bootleg for 750 pounds?!) but the pro-record of the highest level, especially if it was a BBC recording.

I have peered at the remarks on the tapes and it is obvious that the tape with the initial setlist is cut and edited to form a new track listing. Moreover, the three tapes are numbered 2, 3 and 4, and I can assume there is also tape 1 missing with Road to Hell, Julia and Daytona (however, in this case it would be a full gig setlist far over 60 min. long).

What about the date mentioned by the E-Bay seller, I think it may be either completely wrong (the year is put incorrectly 3 times in the description), or it is the date of the broadcast, while the recording itself was made presumably at Loudon & Co show on Mar, 29 as you mention. I assume, you are referring to this gig (though the date is put as Mar, 27): http://www.songkick.com/concerts/619770 ... ruitmarket And the TV show is this one: http://www.tvguide.com/detail/tv-show.a ... id=1028808

If 1994-04-28 is the date of the record, then it is obviously not a gig as a part of the main tour that year as the last show of that tour was in Montreal on Mar, 23 (NY show cancelled) as far as I know. Before Montreal & Toronto gigs the latest show was in Paris as you write, on Mar, 15.

Thank you so much once again,

best regards
Andrey
poolie
cREAtive fan
cREAtive fan

Post by poolie »

One further point from the Newsletter Andrey the broadcast date for the Loudon & Co screening was given as 20th July 1994

Poolie
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

Hello Poolie,

Since I'm not an old fan of Chris, but only "10 Years", it would be interesting to know if these newsletters you speak of are digital available. do you know that?

Thank you,
Ann
You're never to old to dance!
Jim M
Support
Support

Post by Jim M »

Hi All
I have a vinyl album C.R. recorded in Canada ( an interview for radio) from that period as well as a poor quality live recording of the Toronto concert.
If I remember correctly he came to Canada for the Montreal F1 race as he was commenting how inexpensive it was to see a race in Montreal compared to Europe. AS far as I know it was his only appearance in Canada
Jim
Nothings Happening By The Sea
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

poolie wrote:One further point from the Newsletter Andrey the broadcast date for the Loudon & Co screening was given as 20th July 1994

Poolie
Dear Poolie,

thanks a lot again for this remark, now it is clear that the recording date must be Mar, 27 or 29 and the broadcasting date in July, 20. As you are saying only 3 songs were broadcast, I presume these were The Road to Hell, Julia and Daytona, which do not appear on the discussed 3 tapes but supposedly were included on the tape # 1 which is missing in the set. I.e., the broadcast tape is still at the BBC archives and the ''leftovers'' are now for sale on E-bay. So I think.

Unfotunately, at the moment I cannot afford these tapes to make a great bootleg and share with you, but you now I certainly would if I could. Really hope someday we will hear this record.
Jim M wrote:Hi All
I have a vinyl album C.R. recorded in Canada ( an interview for radio) from that period as well as a poor quality live recording of the Toronto concert.
If I remember correctly he came to Canada for the Montreal F1 race as he was commenting how inexpensive it was to see a race in Montreal compared to Europe. AS far as I know it was his only appearance in Canada
Jim
Dear Jim, the vinyl you are talking about (A Profile) is from long before 1994, it is from early 1987, before Dancing with Strangers album. But you are right, those 3 gigs in March 1994, in Totonto and in Monreal are most probably the only live shows Chris held in Canada.
ann268 wrote:Hello Poolie,

Since I'm not an old fan of Chris, but only "10 Years", it would be interesting to know if these newsletters you speak of are digital available. do you know that?

Thank you,
Ann
Me too, I would really like to see at least some of these ''newsletters'' scanned or photographed. Morevoer, I recall Ronald Vink once saying here on the forum he has the entire backup of Miro Wikgren old website, and as I was unable to view the existing website at the time I would certainly like to see bits of it nowadays.

Thank you everyone,

best regards
Andrey
poolie
cREAtive fan
cREAtive fan

Post by poolie »

Hi Andrey

After checking I see from Lily's video site that Chris did 4 numbers on the Loudon & Co show. In no particular order they were Espresso Logic, Working On It, This Kind Of Love and Let's Dance. The show was recorded on 29th March 1994 at the Old Fruitmarket in Glasgow.

I'd be surprised if any of the Newsletters were in digital format though I too recall Miro mentioning transfer of them in the past and might even have sent him copies? From my point of view whilst I could scan them I'm afraid my technical knowledge doesn't extend to being able to make them available other than as some sort of e mail attachment unless of course there is a simple way to do it?

Poolie
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

Hi Poolie,

That sounds like a lot of work, scanning and mailing...and I lack technical skills, sorry!
Ann
You're never to old to dance!
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

Dear Poolie,

now I see what you are talking about. It is a TV shot from Old Glasgow Fruit & Vegetable market. Yes, indeed, there are 4 songs you mention by Chris in the videos. I cannot remember why but in my CR live records archive I put the date January 1994 for this show. Okay, now that it is highly probable that it is the Loudon show in March.

But I always thought it was a kind of a mini-concert - 4 numbers and that was all. Okay, you mention that there was a ca. 60 min set. Maybe then these 4 numbers from the videos are quite the same on tapes from E-Bay.

But I still suspect that what is sold on E-Bay is NOT just a soundboard recording of the same videotaped Loudon show in Glasgow since it is put as ‘’RADIO SESSION’’ by the seller and the dates mentioned by him are quite different to the recording/broadcast dates of Loudon show. Moreover, the tapes are edited and if they were soundboard doubles for the videotapes, then all 4 songs in the videos should have been on one tape, which is not that way.

On the contrary, the seller’s item location is put as Glasgow… The remarks on the tapes give no straightforward answer…

Hope to sort the things out in the end,

best regards
Andrey