The man The voice The guitar

1980 Tracks on Soft Top, Hard Shoulder.

All topics concerning Chris' discography
NSM69
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

1980 Tracks on Soft Top, Hard Shoulder.

Post by NSM69 »

Did these tracks come from the Tennis album sessions or from the Chris Rea album sessions ?
If I had to guess & it is a guess, i'd say more Tennis for the guitar tone & the bass sound is
unlike the Chris Rea album sound. Would like to hear if someone knows for sure.
ronald
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Re: 1980 Tracks on Soft Top, Hard Shoulder.

Post by ronald »

As far as i know, the 1980 date is unlikely, as at least one of the tracks (sierra sierra) was released as a B-side on the 12" version of 'let it loose' in 1983 (copyright info of the label is for all songs 1983), so in my opinion the recording of at least that song is from the watersign recording session. The other songs could be older.
My Chris Rea page: http://www.chrisrea.biz
daveid
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Re: 1980 Tracks on Soft Top, Hard Shoulder.

Post by daveid »

As stated on the CD single these tracks were indeed recorded in 1980. This is the original version of "Sierra, Sierra". If you listen to the 1983 version, it has a typically 80s remix production all over it and was no doubt re-hashed for the b-side on Let it Loose. "One Sweet Tender Touch" made it (in a more developed form) on to the "Chris Rea" album in 1981/82. These tracks were possibly originally intended for an album that never saw the light of day (don't forget, two years separate "Tennis" from "Chris Rea"; 1980 would put these tracks somewhere in between). Despite stating on the Soft Top single that these tracks are previously unreleased, this version of "One Sweet Tender Touch" was previously released on the "Que Sera" single in 1988.