Guest Man, Guest Voice, Guest Guitar: CR as guest musician

All topics concerning Chris' discography
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Guest Man, Guest Voice, Guest Guitar: CR as guest musician

Post by andrew fischer »

Hi everyone,

While there is no news on the new release, I would like to offer the records which may be at least partially new for some of you.

I have compiled 2 CDs of tracks credited to various artists BUT Chris, with Chris appearing as guest musician. Some of these songs are well-known; some are pretty rare; most of them are blues-oriented tunes, while some are more of a pop song.

You may recall the factory bootleg CD with a fan compilation called Chris Rea & Friends, released on Japanese bootleg label Robin Hood Records in 2006 and which was eventually leaked into the torrents. That CD is absolutely brilliant, but contains only 20 songs, 3 of which are ‘not quite there’: Love Letters by Bill Wyman’s Rhythm Kings features not Chris on slide but Sir George Harrison; ‘Disco’ La Passione and If You Were Me were released as Chris Rea records, so I excluded them from my compilation, while there are twice as many tracks included.

My compilation is big, but still misses 2 more tracks from Tom Robinson’s 1994 Love Over Rage album, ‘Loved’ and ‘Silence’ which also feature Chris on slide. I would be quite thankful if somebody could share these tracks with me. I also would quite appreciate somebody’s sharing mega-rare alternate versions of True to You (Nouvelle Version) and Ceux Qui N’ont Rien (Version Lounge).

I also did not include any tracks from 2003 Jazzee Blue album series, where Chris played almost on each track of albums credited to Sarah Randle, Robert Ahwai and Sylvin Marc. Chris also composed most of those tracks, so these albums are more of a Chris Rea album without Chris’s lead vocals and his lead guitar.

Please note I numbered the opening tracks of each of the 2 CDs as’0’ since they also do not quite fit the range: they are both multi-artist charity singles which only feature one vocal line from Chris and neither of his guitars.

Most of the tracks feature Chris’s trademark slide work on his Pinky Strat, though I suspect Chris also used Gretsch Country Gentlean for semi-acoustic slide on Rhytm Kings tracks and Italia Maranello on Latin Quarter tracks. Sometimes Chris’s guitar plays the major role, while in some songs you can hardly hear it.

There are 2 songs with Chris’s vocals in addition to guitar work (A Clear Day, Do You Believe in Love) and 2 songs where Chris sings but does not play guitar (Early in the Morning, Baby Please Don’t Go). And 3 songs in this compilation are written by Chris (Stone, True to You, Teach Me to Dance), so they are a special kind of cover version featuring the original writer/performer.

Track listing with credits and some liner notes:

CD 1

0. Various Artists – Spirit of the Forest
From 1989 multi-artist charity single produced by Kelly Young
1. David Knopfler – A Clear Day (St. Switsun’s Day)
From 2002 “Wishbones” album, also released as single credited to David Knopfler with Chris Rea
2. Graham Bell – Long Way Down
From 1994 “All the Romances” album
3. Snowy White – Highway to the Sun
From 1994 eponymous album and single credited to Snowy White featuring Chris Rea
4. David Knopfler – Easy Street
From 2004 “Ship of Dreams” album
5. Bill Wyman’s Rhythm Kings – Every Sixty Seconds
From 1998 “Anyway the Wind Blows” album
Features lead vocals by Beverley Skeete
6. Latin Quarter – Sometimes the Big Fish
From 2014 “Tilt” album
7. Bill Wyman – Visions
From 1982 “Bill Wyman” album
8. Deacon Blue – Love’s Great Fears
From 1986 “Raintown” album
9. Graham Bell – All the Romances
10. The Law – Stone
From 1991 “The Law” album
Features lead vocals by Paul Rogers and lead guitar by David Gilmour
Written by Chris Rea, original version with Chris’s vocals released on 1985 “Shamrock Diaries” album
11. Patricia Kaas – Out of the Rain
From 1993 “Je Te Dis Vous” album
12. Johnny Hallyday – True to You (album version)
From 1991 “Ça Ne Change Pas Un Homme” album, also released as single in alternate version
Written by Chris Rea, version with Chris’s vocals released on 1991 “Winter Song” E.P.
13. Bill Wyman’s Rhythm Kings – Gambler’s Lament
From 2000 “Groovin” E.P, also included in 2011 “Best of Bill Wyman's Rhythm Kings” compilation
Features lead vocals by Terry Taylor
14. Vargas Blues Band – Do You Believe in Love?
From 1994 “Blues Latino” album
15. Latin Quarter – Tilt
From 2014 “Tilt” album
16. Sir Elton John – Duets for One
From 1993 “Duets” album

CD 2

0. Band Aid II – Do They Know It’s Christmas?
From 1989 multi-artist charity single produced by Bob Geldof
1. Tom Robinson – Roaring (Days)
From 1994 “Love Over Rage” album
2. Latin Quarter – Fireflies
From 2014 “Tilt” album
3. Bill Wyman’s Rhythm Kings – Rollin’ & Stumblin’
From 2001 “Double Bill” album
4. David Knopfler – When Will the Crying Stop
5. John Mayall – Early in the Morning
From 2001 “Along for the Ride” album
6. Latin Quarter – The Cat
From 2014 “Tilt” album
7. Viktor Lazlo – Tech Me to Dance
From 1991 “My Delicious Poisons” album, also released as single
Written by Chris Rea, version with Chris’s vocals released on 1991 “Auberge” album in Japan
8. Willie and the Poor Boys – Baby Please Don’t Go
From 1985 “Willie and the Poor Boys” multi-artist album produced by Bill Wyman
Also performed live with Chris’s vocals at AIMS Gala in London on 20.02.1988
9. Tom Robinson – (If I Had My) Chance
From 1994 “Love Over Rage” album
10. Graham Bell – Fine Young Girl
Features Max Middleton on Fender Rhodes
11. David Knopfler – Sometimes There Are No Words
12. Bill Wyman’s Rhythm Kings – Trust in Me
From 2001 “Double Bill” album
Features lead vocals by Beverley Skeete
13. Patricia Kaas – Ceux Qui N’ont Rien (album version)
From 1993 “Je Te Dis Vous” album, also released as single in 2 alternate versions
14. Graham Bell – The Way I Am

I can easily share a copy of this compilation, please contact me on my mail: andrew-fischer@yandex.ru

TO BART: ALL THE ABOVEMENTIONED RECORDS ARE OFFICIAL; I GOT THEM ALL LEGALLY, JUST PUT THEM TOGETHER AND WISH TO SHARE. THIS IS NOT A BOOTLEG RECORDING AND I DO NOT MAKE IT FREE TO DOWNLOAD BY ANYONE, I GIVE A PRIVATE LINK ON REQUEST.

best regards
Andrey
My VK fan page for Chris Rea in Russian: http://vk.com/chris_rea
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Re: Guest Man, Guest Voice, Guest Guitar: CR as guest musici

Post by ann268 »

Great stuff and listing you did Andrey!
best wishes,
Anneke
You're never to old to dance!
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

ann268 wrote:Great stuff and listing you did Andrey!
Hi Anneke,

thanks a lot for your appreciation,

I think you have already got your private download link via the Rea-list.

I wanted this compilation to sound as an album and worked hard on track listing / songs order to make it as smooth and logical as possible. Hope you like it,

best regards
Andrey
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

Hi everyone again,

with the help of some REAl fans I found out that my compilation is missing 5 CR guest works in total:

1. Adelena
from Maggie Reilly's 2000 Starcrossed album (I had this recording but simply forgot about this song with Chris)
2. Loved
3. (I Can't Stand the) Silence
from Tom Robinson's 1994 Love over Rage album (I knew about them but had no copies in my archive)
4. Roll On the Day
5. Shaney Boy
from 1999 The Best of Diarmuid O'Leary & The Bards compilation, recorded ca. 1984 (new for me)

Soon I shall update my compilation and make it 37-track!

best regards
Andrey
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

Dear friends!

I have a Christmas / New Year gift for you!

This is the thoroughly reworked and extended version of the collaborations (guest works) compilation I did a year ago, “Chris Rea – Guest Man, Guest Voice, Guest Guitar” (see message history above).

It now contains all the 38 songs (credited to other artists, not Chris) that Chris ever guested on (except for Jazzee Blue albums credited to Sarah Randle, Robert Ahwai and Sylvin Marc, where Chris played on almost each track).

New edition’s major features, in comparison to the previous one:
- Additional 6 authentic songs Chris guests on, 38 songs in total;
- Additional 8 alternate versions of the 7 singles;
- 7 official promotional videos for the singles;
- Better quality master discs used for most records;
- Levelled loudness for all tracks;
- Even smoother track listing to make the compilation sound like a well-produced album.

First 2 CD’s comprise the main compilation with 37 songs playing for 159 (79+80) minutes in total. The only song I had to put out of the main part is Spirit of the Forest where Chris only sings one line and does not play guitar and which exceeds the time limit of the CD’s and did not fit in the smoothened track listing. However, this song appears in 2 versions (7’’ and 12’’ AA mixes) on the 3rd CD with bonus materials (alternate versions and video clips) – 30 minutes of audios and 28 minutes of videos.

I tried to make this compilation look like an iTunes release, so all the audio files are in m4a lossless format and are given all the main metadata (original credits and album covers, recording/release dates, etc.) in the way it goes with iTunes and are accompanied by the digital booklet with liner notes and Chris’s photos taken in the years of the guest works recording.

If you need these records, just e-mail me and I will share the files with you directly: andrew-fischer@yandex.ru

I kindly ask you to use these records solely for your home audio and never give free public access (public torrents, Dropbox or WE Transfer links or YouTube uploads) to any part of this compilation. Thanks for understanding.

Happy New Year to you all and thanks in advance for your reviews on this compilation!
Andrey

Last edited by andrew fischer on 30 Dec 2015, 22:14, edited 1 time in total.
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

It is great and has a wonderful sound. Thanks for sharing Andrey !
Happy New Year,
Anneke
You're never to old to dance!
elangelo
REAddict
REAddict

Post by elangelo »

Impressive Andrey, what a great work!
I think you put the album name instead of the song name in the beginning of Disc two (Elton John).
Don't cry, baby don't cry
The worst is gone....
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

elangelo wrote:Impressive Andrey, what a great work!
I think you put the album name instead of the song name in the beginning of Disc two (Elton John).
Hi Elangelo,

No, everything is right. Duets for One is the last song on Elton's Duets album and features slide lines by Chris recorded at Sol Mill studios on the same day as If You Were Me which is out of this compilation as it is Chris's song released at least on 3 different Chris's CDs (American and Japanese versions of Espresso LP and 1994 The Best of LP) so not quite a "guest" work but just a song written by Chris initially as a duet.

Do you need a download link?

Take care
Andrey
elangelo
REAddict
REAddict

Post by elangelo »

Oh, I see :)
I once e-mailed you about a live recording of Chris's tour (the one they distributed on USB sticks) but never heard back so I decided the content was only distributed outside Russia :D
The worst is gone....
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

elangelo wrote:Oh, I see :)
I once e-mailed you about a live recording of Chris's tour (the one they distributed on USB sticks) but never heard back so I decided the content was only distributed outside Russia :D
Hi Elangelo!

Are you kidding?! Why on Earth should I not share with Russians? ))) it is not an export product )))

I believe your request got lost in my spam bin or did not reach my mailbox at all (e.g. contact form on this site does nor work) since I always reply to any request I get.

You can try to mail me again or write down your own e-mail so I could send you a test mail.

I have in store 30 out of 33 shows released on sticks in 2014 so you can point which exact show(s) do you need.

Sorry once again and hope this time connection would be better,

Best wishes
Andrey
elangelo
REAddict
REAddict

Post by elangelo »

Yes, I used the contact form on the website :) My e-mail is lemon_tree [at] list [dot] ru
You did great work analyzing all the records and I believe you chose one that you though was the best, so I could just get that one... And I don't think I have enough hard disk space for lossless sound so MP3 will do... I can try and convert myself if that's too much trouble.
Thanks!
The worst is gone....
elangelo
REAddict
REAddict

Post by elangelo »

Thanks a lot Andrey, the compilation is great! My favourite band is Latin Quarter, I guess
When you have time, it would be great to get that live recording, maybe from the gig that you think had the greatest guitar solos :lol:
Thanks again!
The worst is gone....
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

Hi Elangelo!

Good to know you received and enjoyed my compilation!

I will send you a link to get some 2014 gigs on Monday, thanks for the waiting!

Best wishes