The man The voice The guitar

josephine la version francaise (long version)

All topics concerning Chris' discography
Peter S...
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Re: josephine la version francaise (long version)

Post by Peter S... »

All very good versions of Josephine, but have you heard the Ibiza and Dance versions...again toatally different.
Between the eyes of love I call your name
Behind the guarded walls I used to go
Upon a summer wind there's a certain melody
Takes me back to the place that I know
Down on the beach
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

This version of Josephine,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MYOa8Rq_Go

Is on which Album exactly?

Lily
alan1958
guitaREA
guitaREA

Post by alan1958 »

It is on The Very Best Of Chris Rea( the one with the see-through guitar on the cover /Saudade) from 2001
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

Nope, that's not it. The Josephine in The Very Best album it's an updated one.

I've only seen it on you tube:

Is it on Shamrock Diaries? I don't have that album. Ronald and Chris probably know...?

Lily
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

Sorry Alan, you were right, that Is the video version. I was thinking of another album. :D

Thanks! Lily
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

lilybee wrote:Nope, that's not it. The Josephine in The Very Best album it's an updated one.

I've only seen it on you tube:

Is it on Shamrock Diaries? I don't have that album. Ronald and Chris probably know...?

Lily
---------
Hi Lilybee,

I don't know everything and I do not pretend to know all about Chris' music, but since I've been called to come to the black board (sort of), my answer would be: the original version of "Josephine" came out on the "Shamrock Diaries" album. It was recorder at Bray and Chipping Norton Studios, in Oxon, England, in December 1984. The songs were mixed at Mountain Studios in Montreux, Switzerland, the very next month (January 1985) by Chris Rea and Dave Richards. "Shamrock" was first published as a LP and later issued as a CD (it was the time this brand new sound carrier had been introduced!) The video version of "Josephine" in question, I believe, is based on an "unplugged" recording. It could have been done by Chris and Jon Kelly at a different location. Perhaps in France, where Chris used to worked in late 80s.
Honestly saying: I came upon this "unplugged Josephine" only in a video form.
The song, however, had been re-recorded, re-edited, re-issued and published time and over again on numerous "single CDs" as well as compilations (the best of), from England through France and Germany all the way to Australia, Japan, Russia and the Ukraine. It's not necessarily the same version though, but still a "Josephine."
The "French extended version" is a little bit misleading but it was the French market it was first produced for as dancing music. I guess they must be more romantic there than we all think we are....
After all "Josephine" stayed for several weeks at the top of French charts (an 'avenement!') which must have been a pleasant surprise for Chris because generally speaking (I don't think I should generalize here, since it goes very much against the political correctness!) the Anglo-Saxon rock and roll music (as opposed to the French rock!) is not very cherished in France. If they like some British or American music, it must be top-notch.
"Josephine" was different because it stroke a proper note...
The version where Chris added a stanza "but Josephine grew up and she went away..." appeared only during his last tour, back in 2006.
Take care,
Chris
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

Hi Lilybee!

As Josephine is supposed to be one of my all-time favourites, I've got almost all version of this soulful tune.
That's the story of Josephine recordings as I know it:

First, as Chris's already said, the Shamrock Diaries Vinyl LP was released and it contained very calm and almost fully acoustic (time running = 4.26 as righty mentioned on the sleeve). CD release, which came out some later, contained faster and shorter version (time running = 3.55, but sleeve was still saying that it lasts 4.26). It's also known as a french re-record. It's a well known mistake. Moreover, 7'' single brings far shorter radio version (3.45, intro is reduced, rest's the same). I own originals of all of these recordings, so I know exactly.

Later, the extended french re-record came out, it can be heard on "Snow'' EP of Japan, "Joys of Christmas'' and "Road ot Hell" single's B-sides, probably somewhere else, I do not remember. So it's not very rare version, I came across it on some DJ music compilations. There's a long and probably a bit boring intro according to 80's dancefloor preferrings. After 1.5 minutes the familiar CD Shamrock version begins.

In 1988 the most well-known all over the world version is released on UK and european version of New Light through Old Windows album. (time running 4.31 on CD, 4.35 on LP). But in USA Geffen records released a bit different version of NLTOW album with another track listing, lacking 1 track but including lead electric guitar version of Josephine. It's supposed to be even faster than french re-record, but lasting 4.17 (very beautiful and long after-solo in the ending). This is rather rare version as there was a copy limit and too small amount of american listeners and fans of Chris.

The way Chris played Josephine live from 1985 'til 1998 as I know was in the way somehow between sound of the very first calm version and this mentioned USA NLTOW release. Time lasting oscillates from 4.5 to more than 7 minutes (again long guitar solo).

In 2001 "The Very Best of" compilation is released and contains a video-version of Josephine, previously unreleased in audio variant. It's a bit shorter (again intro's reduced, 3.36) than original video-version. When was it recorded and released - no one could tell me exactly, but in the clip Chris is looking like he's in his 1985-86 style.
I have an idea the audio variant of this video-version could be heard earlier on any japanese single releases, but never came across the answer. Probably, this 2001 compilation is the only recording where it was released.

During 2006 tour Chris played banjo&piano version of Josephine very close to that very first edition of 1985 LP.

Moreover, several remixes had been done using Josephine samples. For example, 2002 Ibiza Remix, 2000 Delirious mix by DJ Pirat, DJ Ramirez remix and rather well-known and probably the best remix by Superfunk (titled as I'll Send You All My Love), but it's official recording is very rare so that I own only demo-version and sometimes come across it on dance radio stations.

That's not all I can say, but all I can remember at the moment. I think someone can correct me.

Hope that helps,
&ru
My VK fan page for Chris Rea in Russian: http://vk.com/chris_rea
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

Need to add: There's a red vinyl single MAG 280 АА released 14th june 1985, the same day as the radio version black vinyl single MAG 280 , but they say it contains 3.35 remix... I do not own it, and nobody of my friends does, so I don't know what's there... :( Probably, this is in facts that video version (3.36)....
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

Wow, thank you Andrew and Chris! That's a lot more than I ever knew about Josephine!

I don't particularly like remixes, specially the intros, annoying!, (that doesn't mean I don't like to dance :D )

It will be interesting to hear which knew version CR is going to play at the concerts.

Cheers,

Lily B.
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

lilybee wrote:Wow, thank you Andrew and Chris! That's a lot more than I ever knew about Josephine!

I don't particularly like remixes, specially the intros, annoying!, (that doesn't mean I don't like to dance :D )

It will be interesting to hear which knew version CR is going to play at the concerts.

Cheers,

Lily B.
----------

Hi again,
Andrew Fisher definitely knows a lot more about "Josephine" than I do. My congratulations Andrew!
I have some seven or eight CDs with this track including one on "3-inch CD single" (together with "the Road to Hell", part 1 and 2, and "He Should Know Better") and the "Josephine" (5:37) on it is the 'La Version Francoise" written upon in French! I also have (just as Andrew) the Japanese "Snow", the German-printed "Let's Dance" (with "Josephine" - 5:35) and a "CD Back Track" with "Josephine" 4:26, the "new" version of "Josephine" on "NLTOW" and on couple of "best of" with either "new" or "old" version.
I'm happy we could join forces with Andrew and provide you with a credible answer.
"Josephine", at least on Polish stations, is still being played almost daily!
Take care,
Chris
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

Chris wrote: Andrew Fisher definitely knows a lot more about "Josephine" than I do. My congratulations Andrew!
I have some seven or eight CDs with this track including one on "3-inch CD single" (together with "the Road to Hell", part 1 and 2, and "He Should Know Better") and the "Josephine" (5:37) on it is the 'La Version Francoise" written upon in French! I also have a "CD Back Track" with "Josephine" 4:26, ...
Chris
Hi Chris!
Thank You for you pleasant praising words, but it's a shame of me I never heard Josephine in french!!!
Does Chris really sing it in french?! I knew 'bout La Version Francaice, but I always thought it's the same as the french extended remix (5.35)! I have only vinyl single of Road to Hell, and there Chris sings in English!!!

More to ask, what is a "CD Back Track", what does it consist of and when was it released? I always thought the very first version (4.26) was available only on vinyl...

thanks for the news and the answers,
best regards,
&ru
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

Hi Andrew,

Obviously, there is no French version of "Josephine" by Chris Rea, sang by him in that language. Only the sleeve says it's "the French version" (in French!), apparently to make sure people buy the right CD!
Sorry, if I misled you to believe otherwise.
On the other hand, Chris being half-Italian (as you probably know) and recording so many songs at Miraval Studios, in Provence, France, began to sing - every now and then - some verses in French ("Come dance with me", Voulez-vous danser avec moi?... for instance.)

The "CD Back Track" was a series issued by the EastWest (EW) in Germany with some older recordings, including one or two by Chris Rea. The one I purchased was sitting on the counter, in front of a fellow, in the WOM music store in Munich, back in 1993. It's legit, as far as I'm concerned, numbered 4509-9262-2 (WB (eastwest records gmbh 1993) with only two (2) songs on it - "I can hear your heartbeat" (3:28), credited to 1983 Magnet Records Ltd, and "Josephine" (4:26), also credited to 1985 Megnet Records Ltd. The sleeve looks pretty much like a 45' vinyl single; it's packed the same way (in a "pack" paper envelop, with two holes in the middle ((in front and the back of it, a little bit smaller!)) and made out of the carton-like paper.)
The "Snow" I bought at another music store, which went out of business, unfortunately. It was pretty expensive item sold as a "direct import" and I paid for it (at that time!) DM 69.90!!! An average CD went in those years for DM 19.99. That gives you an idea what a rip-off it was.
Take care,
Chris
ronald
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by ronald »

The origins of the so called french version is a re-recording of the hit single when the record company tried to (re)introduce Chris Rea in France in 1987. I assume that as he was recording songs for the 'new light through old windows' album the record company used an early version of this re-recording album for this 12" single (only released in france, on the sleave of this version there is only mentioned 'version lounge').

On other releases which contained this track (available outside France) it was identiefied as the french re-record. The strange thing is that this version was put on the CD release of shamrock diaries which was first issued in 1987, instead of the original album track.

Still of the mentioned 5 youtube tracks, the first one isn't known to me.
My Chris Rea page: http://www.chrisrea.biz
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

Thanks Ronald,
Never mend that Shamrock CD came out only 3 years later, not that same year as LP... So that version known as french re-record could be younger than the video version... I'm not so concerned, but I thought MAG280 single contains exactly the french re-record (3.45), and La Version Francaice/Lounge aka extended french re-record is the longer version of that single edition... Honestly, I got puzzled... :?

English 7'' single release 14th june 1985:
MAG280 A:Josephine 3.45 / B:Dancing Shoes 3.37
MAG280AA A:Josephine (remix) 3.35 / B: (album version) / Dancing shoes 4.26 (???????!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Italian 7'' release:
A: Josephine (?:??) / Everytime It Rains (3.33)

Questions are:
- Is the 3.45 version really that version so called french re-record (a bit reduced)?
- Is the 3.35 version that one which's used in video clip?
- What's on the B-Side - Album 4.26 version, longer version of Dancing Shoes (never heard about it), or both them?
- Which version is used on italian release?
- Does anybody know something about other vinyl single releases? What about 12'' singles? I don't remember,unfortunately...
Last edited by andrew fischer on 30 Jan 2008, 17:21, edited 1 time in total.
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

Ok, great Josephine thread going on here!

I read all the info, but I can't match all the descriptions to the songs. Maybe someone can do a list of each Josephine with a YouTube link to it, so we (at least, I) can say "oh, that's the one I'm talking about" :D

For instance, I found this version, faster, with a lot of guitar, that I haven't heard before.
Can you match it to the album?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVp6e3Bw ... re=related

Thanks!

Lily