The man The voice The guitar

josephine la version francaise (long version)

All topics concerning Chris' discography
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Re: josephine la version francaise (long version)

Post by andrew fischer »

Hi Ronald and everyone,

Years later after the initial discussion and deep insight into the Josephine versions official releases history, I have come to sort out some of my lossless copies from vinyl singles and this issue arose to me again.
Now that it seems that I finally have double-checked everything and managed to sort things out, with the big help of Ronald’s posts here and his fabulous website, as well as discogs.com, 45cat.com, eil.com and some other web sources, and, of course, by checking out the original copies of the 7’’s and 12’’s.
What I have derived:

There were 2 completely different studio versions of Josephine released in 1985. Chris says in the interview at Radio W.E.S.T. in May, 1985, that he was asked by Magnet for a different version for the UK single release, while “in Europe they went on with the album version” (which is not true).

1. Album version is nominally 4.26 long, is produced by Chris and Dave Richards and can be found on:
- 1985 Shamrock Diaries vinyl LP and CD original issues
- 1985 B-side of MAG 280 AA promo 7’’
- 1980 B-side of MAG 280 special 7’’ which came as a double pack with MAG 269D and also had edited (2.12) version of Dancing Shoes on the same side (B2)
- 1985 A-side of K-9765 Australian 7’’
- 1986 Herzklopfen official German only compilation vinyl LP and CD
- 2001 “Sampled” compilation CD credited to Superfunk who sampled Josephine for their Lucky Star song with Ron Carrol, this release is edited to 3.50 time running due to the time limits of CD

2. Re-mix version, produced by Chris alone, running time can be mentioned as 3.55 on 12’’ and 3.35 or 3.45 on 7’’ singles. There is longer edit (3.53 or 3.55) with a longer intro which appears in/on:
- 1985 official video
- 1985 A-side of 12’’ single for Germany (883197-1) and Italy (MM 9217)
And on the other releases it has shorter time running of 3.35 or 3.45 (I had confused it with ‘edit-remix-version’)
- 1985 A-side of Josephine (Re-mix) MAG 280 7’’ (not to be confused with MAG 280 AA and MAG 269D extra)
- 1985 A-side of 7’’ single for Germany (883 197-7) and Italy (M 7226)
- 1985 B-side of 7’’ single for Netherlands (107.483) – marked as Edit-Remix-Version
- 2001 The Very Best of Chris Rea official compilation CD

3. La version Française AKA (French) Re-record which has 2 edits – 7’’ version / version courte (3.54) and 12’’ version / Extended (French) Re-record / Version lounge or simply La version Française (5.35). Produced by Chris & Stuart Eales. Both edits omit 3rd verse. Recorded in February 1987 at Mountain Studios, Montreux, according to the sleeve notes, so it is from the Dancing with Strangers album recording sessions. Here is what Chris has told the Vox magazine about this version in 1998 interview:

"It was 5.30 in the morning, and me and a friend were pissed out of our heads in a Parisian transvestite club. We'd been chased there by the police because I'd tried to climb the Fountain Of Innocence down near Les Halles. They were playing these Chic 12-inches and during the course of our inebriation we decided that 'Josephine' was a blues record, and there was a lot of blues in those 12-inch bass records. So when I got back to the studio, I just whipped off onto a C90 cassette a Chic-style version of 'Josephine'. And that C90 became the master, the song became a mild hit in France, and then because it was French it was brought back to Britain as a hip record by Paul Oakenfold!"

The shorter version appears on:
- 1987 A-side of 7’’ (711 007) and 12’’ (712 017) singles for France
- 1988 A-side of 12’’ single for Italy (ZT 41666) which came packed with Italian release of Dancing with Strangers
- 1987 Shamrock Diaries reissue LP and CD (to be confirmed)
- 1991 Shamrock Diaries reissue LP (242 374-1 / WX 190) and CD (2292-42374-2)
- 1993 “Back Track” I Can Hear Your Heartbeat / Josephine 5’’ CD single (4509-92624-2)
Note: Shamrock Diaries CD reissue and “Back Track” single state the time running 4.26 instead of real 3.54
The longer edit has a long dance intro and appears on:
- 1987 A-side of 12’’ single for France (712 017)
- 1988 A-side of 12’’ promo single for UK (YZ 427 SAM)
- 1988 A-side of 12’’ single for Italy (ZT 41666) which came packed with Italian release of Dancing with Strangers
- 1987 B-side of 12’’ Let’s Dance single (MAGT-299 R)
- 1987 Let’s Dance CD single (CDMAG 299 / 885 888-2)
- 1989 B-side of 12’’ The Road to Hell Parts 1 & 2 (YZ 431 T / 246 621-0)
- 1989 The Road to Hell (Parts 1 & 2) 3’’ CD single (246 620-2)
- 1989 The Road to Hell (Parts 1 & 2) 5’’ Maxi CD single (YZ 431 CDP)
- 1987 Snow and 1990 Ing… Japanese EPs.
This version also sampled in a heap of official and unofficial DJ mixes (Superfunk, Chris&James, to name a few)

4. 1988 re-record released only on USA release of The New Light Though Old Windows album by Geffen Records – LP (GHS 24232), cassette (M5G 24232) and CD (7599-24232-2) which have the altered track listing and cover. Time running is 4.17. Note: this version does NOT appear on the release of this album by ATCO Records (7 91732-2 / 7 91732-3 / 7 91732-4) which has the same track listing and cover as the UK/European release. This version was played live on June, 5th that year on the 2nd day of the Rock am Ring festival in Nuerburgring, Germany.

5. 1988 re-record from the worldwide release of The New Light Though Old Windows album and is the most well-known version of this song. Time running is commonly put as 4.33. Appears on most official CD non re-record compilations released after 1988 (The Best Of ’94 & ’98, Heartbeats, The Platinum Collection, The Works, The Journey, Still So Far to Go), but does not appear on The Very Best Of ’94 vinyl LP (4509-98382-1), the last album LP by Chris, and on The Very Best Of 2001 CD it is substituted by the 1985 Re-mix version. This version also appears as a B-side on Heaven and All Summer Long CD singles.

6. Live at Tanzbrunnen, Cologne, 23 May 2001 – concert version which is partly seen (over Chris’s speeches and dialogues) on 2001 Cologne gig footage from Stony Road and Fool If You Think It’s Over – The Definitive Greatest Hits (Japan) bonus DVDs.

7. Live at Sala Kongresowa, Warsaw, 17 March 2006 – concert banjo/piano version with Chris playing banjo instead of slide and Paul Hirsh playing fantastic solos on keyboards. Appears on both CD and 2CD versions of The Road to Hell & Back live album. On the Farewell Tour DVD we see performance of this live version at Birmingham Symphony Hall, 18 April 2006.

8. 2007 “new version” available on all versions of Fool If You Think It’s Over – The Definitive Greatest Hits CD compilation. A soft of “home made” sound, where Chris played all instruments himself.

So that seems to be quite it, concerning all the official “home audio/video” releases ever. A total of 8 versions and 12 subversions. The list does not include countless mixes by other artists or DJs and numerous official promo live shots/records (TV shows and radio broadcasts) are also not included.

I still cannot find out which version appears on MAGT 280 12’’ single, where time running for Josephine is put 4.15. Please anyone who owns one let me know or better send a photo of the sleeve and the disc!

Thank you all for your comments,
Best regards
Andrey
My VK fan page for Chris Rea in Russian: http://vk.com/chris_rea
tobi777
giga REA-fan
giga REA-fan

Post by tobi777 »

I still cannot find out which version appears on MAGT 280 12’’ single, where time running for Josephine is put 4.15. Please anyone who owns one let me know or better send a photo of the sleeve and the disc!
Hi Andrey,
are You still looking for the MAGT280 12" single? I have it in my collection. Sorry I haven't seen your most interesting post earlier!

Cheers,
Tobi
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

Hi again Tobias,

I would really appreciate if you could check out this 12" of yours and let me know which version out of mentioned above appears on it and what is its actual running time.

A photo of the single itself (inner and outer) is even more appreciated!

Thanks in advance
Andrey
tobi777
giga REA-fan
giga REA-fan

Post by tobi777 »

Hi Andrey,

here you can see the requested pics:

http://www.pichost.de/dwQ
http://www.pichost.de/dwU
http://www.pichost.de/dwc
http://www.pichost.de/dwt

It is definitely the slower remix like the video (the worst version in my opinion).
I looked at the time and the track stopped at about 3:50. So I'm convinced that this is the same version as on the german release. The duration of 4:15 printed on the label seems to be a mistake.

I hope this helps - and thanks again for your detective work - this is a very complicated topic that confuses me every time I think of it :lol:

REAgards
Tobi
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

Thank you oh so much once again, Tobi!

The pictures and your notes really help to put an end to this investigation!

Me, on the contrary, I consider the slow (video) versions the best along with USA'88 version, while the weakest versions are the French disco mixes in my opinion.

Best wishes
Andrey
Sophie
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by Sophie »

Hello to evrybody,Andrew the version that you are looking for it's contained in this collection!

https://www.discogs.com/it/Chris-Rea-Th ... ase/368207

The song is here!

http://www75.zippyshare.com/v/PM1Dgx9C/file.html

greetings & kisses
Sophie
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by Sophie »