The man The voice The guitar

minor bug

Let me know if you've got an idea for this site, or if you've found an error or if you have a question
Zgred
REAddict
REAddict

minor bug

Post by Zgred »

I have the "font size" set to "largest". When I position a cursor over "The man" blue bar, the whole frame get sliders and moves a bit due to that, so the "Illness" is inaccessible. Looks like too little space or something...

You said that you don't have time to refine the site - try sharing your work with us? For example I saw the lyrics aren't completed, whilst the texts are available in the net, or even we can write it on PC. If you need pure text to place in the "Discography" section, this is job anyone can do...

Your move :mrgreen:
Bart
Webmaster
Webmaster

Re: minor bug

Post by Bart »

Zgred wrote:I have the "font size" set to "largest". When I position a cursor over "The man" blue bar, the whole frame get sliders and moves a bit due to that, so the "Illness" is inaccessible. Looks like too little space or something...
Hello;

I don't think I really understand what you mean... I have tried to set the font-size in Internet Explorer tot the maximum, but that didn't effect the blue menu bur (or the submenu's). Could you perhapse make a screenshot of the problem and send it to me (webmaster@chrisrea.nl) or try explaining it a bit more ...
Zgred wrote: You said that you don't have time to refine the site - try sharing your work with us? For example I saw the lyrics aren't completed, whilst the texts are available in the net, or even we can write it on PC. If you need pure text to place in the "Discography" section, this is job anyone can do...

Your move :mrgreen:
Thanks for your offer ... I have the lyrics for all the songs complete (even the onces not available anywhere on the net - I have had to type them myself... for example some tracks of La Passione or some old B-sides) but the problem is that for every item in the discography I need to make a whole new page; with links to the lyrics for every track, and look things up and so on ... I could make a sample page where one could fill in the album-tile, titles of the tracks and the links to the various files with lyrics. In that way someone could help me if you like ...

What I am looking for, is someone who knows more from site-building then I do (that shouldn't be to hard :wink: ), and who can help me solve the problems for MAC users...

REAgards, Bart (webmaster)
Zgred
REAddict
REAddict

Post by Zgred »

bjongen wrote:Could you perhapse make a screenshot of the problem
Here it goes: (cursor is not shown)
LINK TO THE SCREENSHOT
bjongen wrote:[...] for every item in the discography I need to make a whole new page; with links to the lyrics for every track, and look things up and so on ...
Did I misunderstand? :roll: you make a complete page for *every* one thing in discography? That's why selection of an item resets the whole list?? But it would be the least effective way of how thing could be done!!! Why didn't you make standard target-frame style? Then you select from left frame with albums & singles and it will show up at the right frame?? Does it mean that when you need to add a single to, for example, La Passione section, you would be forced to add this link to *all* others items? Or I just didn't understand your words?
bjongen wrote:I could make a sample page where one could fill in the album-tile, titles of the tracks and the links to the various files with lyrics. In that way someone could help me if you like ...

What I am looking for, is someone who knows more from site-building then I do (that shouldn't be to hard :wink: ), and who can help me solve the problems for MAC users...
You would better show exactly what you are talking about, I have built my own site after an hour of studying basics of HTML, so I don't know really much but I understand the idea and learn quickly, yet I know nothing about Java so if everything works in it, I could rather do html-things right now (well, if there's a lot of that maybe can I help this way). Also Mac problems aren't my favourite :)
Bart
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Bart »

Zgred wrote:Here it goes: (cursor is not shown)
LINK TO THE SCREENSHOT
I see what the problem is... I'll try to work on that ... But it won't be easy for me :(
Zgred wrote:Did I misunderstand? :roll: you make a complete page for *every* one thing in discography? That's why selection of an item resets the whole list?? But it would be the least effective way of how thing could be done!!! Why didn't you make standard target-frame style? Then you select from left frame with albums & singles and it will show up at the right frame?? Does it mean that when you need to add a single to, for example, La Passione section, you would be forced to add this link to *all* others items? Or I just didn't understand your words?You would better show exactly what you are talking about, I have built my own site after an hour of studying basics of HTML, so I don't know really much but I understand the idea and learn quickly, yet I know nothing about Java so if everything works in it, I could rather do html-things right now (well, if there's a lot of that maybe can I help this way). Also Mac problems aren't my favourite :)
Well, I used to use frames, but because search engines don't like frames and you cannot link to a particulair page in the site (without loosing the rest like menu, etc.). So I started to use PHP scripts. I use the "include" tag to build te pages. I created a header (the picture in the top, the menu, and the text to the right), a footer (the little box and the ads on the bottem) and some loose files, like for example a version fil with just the text: "September 22th 2005", but also for example the menu of the discography is one file. When I build a page of the discography for example, it looks like this:

Code: Select all

<?php
include "header.php";
?>
<?php
include "version.php";
?>
<?php
include "disco-menu.php";
?>

Text + images of the page

<?php
include "footer.php";
?>
It works a bit the same as a frame page, when I change for example "version.php" it changes in all pages it is being called for. All the ellements of a page know their lay-out and placing because of one single CSS file which is being called in the header.php. All ellements are placed in <div>'s ( a bit like the frames, but you can place them freely around the page) which are sometimes visible (for example the blue line around the sections on the left) or invissible (for example the div which contains the menu). The problem which you mention above (screenshot) is caused by this last DIV. To let the menu work this div has to be put OVER all the other divs (it needs to be on top). And then when your screenres. is to small (or the text or f.e. a picture is to large) this DIV created scrollbars at the bottem of the DIV (which is in the middle of the page).
I hope you understand a bit about how the page is build.....

Zgred
REAddict
REAddict

Post by Zgred »

All right, thank you Bart for explanations, now I get it maybe not at 100% but this sounds reasonable. To be honest, my problem with scrollbars showing up is not really important, as it does not happen for other people. I propose moving this problem at the end of the (long :D) list.

It would be better to concentrate on current problems like the lack of lyrics. Still I don't know if changing one item at Discography has to be followed with changing rest of the pages? The way I can help I see looks what follows: you send me (or anyone else) the template, one filled with present item (e.g. album "So much love" in "1974 - So much love" subsection), one empty to be filled, and all necessary data that is involved. Well it would be nice to also have a filling pattern or so... you know better. What do you say?
Bart
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Bart »

Zgred wrote: I propose moving this problem at the end of the (long :D) list.
The list is indeed very, very long !!

This is in short the things I want to do soon:

- Complete the new FAQ section I am working on (so if anybody has questions AND ANSWERS I should add to this list; mail me at: webmaster@chrisrea.nl !)

- Update the biography page (again; if anybody has an update biography or is willing to write a little piece; it is much appreciated!)

- Update the discography

- Solve Zgreds problem :wink: :wink:

- Solve the problems for MAC users...

- etcetera...

Still lot's of work! I am currently in the last few weeks of my school, so I have almost no time for the site... And of course I am not so very handy in writing webpages, so everything takes lots of time. Last I am also a perfectionist, and I know exactly how I want to have it...only missing enough time!
Zgred wrote: It would be better to concentrate on current problems like the lack of lyrics.
All the lyrics are there; only the pages linking to the files with the lyrics need to be created. For example I created today a page for the new single I bought: http://www.chrisrea.nl/discography/cont ... nch-US.php and on this page there are links to the lyrics of "working on it" and "loving you again". These lyrics files are complete, just the item-pages aren't ... :( :(
Zgred wrote:Still I don't know if changing one item at Discography has to be followed with changing rest of the pages? .
No, when I ad an item, no other page has to be changed. As I tried to explain above, the discography-menu is one seperate .php file. When I ad an item (f.e. Working on it 7" US) I only have to change this one file (discography-menu.php) and all other files will include this latest version of that file. In this, it works exacly the same as frames....

Zgred wrote:The way I can help I see looks what follows: you send me (or anyone else) the template, one filled with present item (e.g. album "So much love" in "1974 - So much love" subsection), one empty to be filled, and all necessary data that is involved. Well it would be nice to also have a filling pattern or so... you know better. What do you say?
Well, if you (or any body else) would like to help, that would be very much apriciated :!: :!: I can make a blank template with an explanation about how to work things out, when you (or anybody else) is interested, please mail me at webmaster@chrisrea.nl and I will try to explain what need to be done...

Thank you very much for thinking with me !! In this way it truly becomes a page "for the fans, by the fans" !!!

[/url]
Zgred
REAddict
REAddict

Post by Zgred »

bjongen wrote:- Complete the new FAQ section I am working on
You mean Chris Rea FAQ (from The man) of course? Not the forum-related one? Well, stupid question...
bjongen wrote:- Solve Zgreds problem :wink: :wink:
Whatever Happened to Zgred's Problem?? :mrgreen: today the menu is working excellent.
bjongen wrote:Last I am also a perfectionist, and I know exactly how I want to have it...
This sounds like it was said by Chris recently :D
bjongen wrote:All the lyrics are there; only the pages linking to the files with the lyrics need to be created. For example I created today a page for the new single I bought: http://www.chrisrea.nl/discography/cont ... nch-US.php and on this page there are links to the lyrics of "working on it" and "loving you again". These lyrics files are complete, just the item-pages aren't ... :( :(
[...]
As I tried to explain above, the discography-menu is one seperate .php file. When I ad an item (f.e. Working on it 7" US) I only have to change this one file (discography-menu.php) and all other files will include this latest version of that file. In this, it works exacly the same as frames....
Okay I think now I have everything clear - it would be nonsense to do this in another way. In another words there are PHP "frames" in one HTML frame. It's just my lack of knowledge how PHP works.
bjongen wrote:I can make a blank template with an explanation about how to work things out, when you (or anybody else) is interested, please mail me at webmaster@chrisrea.nl and I will try to explain what need to be done...
Well, that's what I'm asking for ;) but please be patient while explaining ;)
bjongen wrote:Thank you very much for thinking with me !! In this way it truly becomes a page "for the fans, by the fans" !!!
Oh no problem really, just Blue Guitars as a gift, ticket for one concert and trip to Middlesbrough would be enough reward Image
Bart
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Bart »

Zgred wrote:
bjongen wrote:I can make a blank template with an explanation about how to work things out, when you (or anybody else) is interested, please mail me at webmaster@chrisrea.nl and I will try to explain what need to be done...
Well, that's what I'm asking for ;) but please be patient while explaining ;)
bjongen wrote:Thank you very much for thinking with me !! In this way it truly becomes a page "for the fans, by the fans" !!!
Oh no problem really, just Blue Guitars as a gift, ticket for one concert and trip to Middlesbrough would be enough reward Image
Well; I have completed the tutorial, complete with a blank and a sample file. If anybody else is interested, please let me know ! And about the gifts (the trip..) that's okay; I'll arrange it ... :wink: :wink: :wink:
Zgred
REAddict
REAddict

php...

Post by Zgred »

All right, all that stuff doesn't seem to be really hard however it looks complicated for a first glance :? :D I think the point is to place right text in right field, keeping large or small cases and to be consistent all the time :)

Yeah, there is "good luck" in your tutorial...... I will need it !!! ;)

Gonna need a heck of a lot of beta testers... :lol:
jwanzong
cREAtive fan
cREAtive fan

Re: php...

Post by jwanzong »

Zgred wrote:All right, all that stuff doesn't seem to be really hard however it looks complicated for a first glance :? :D I think the point is to place right text in right field, keeping large or small cases and to be consistent all the time :)

Yeah, there is "good luck" in your tutorial...... I will need it !!! ;)

Gonna need a heck of a lot of beta testers... :lol:
I am a software QA Tester by trade and would be happy to help in any way I can. Just name the job and the deadline and how to get started. Anything I can do to help you out Bart since you have put so much of your free time and energy, not to mention money into this. You are my only link tot he world of Chris Rea so whatever I can do to help out is the least I can do to thank you! Jennifer
Jutta
Translator
Translator

Re: php...

Post by Jutta »

And maybe you find someone who help you to remove those spams :roll: every day ... as a kind of epedemic control.