Let us know what your favourite song is
Jutta
Translator
Translator

Looking for the summer II

Post by Jutta »

There is an old live version of looking for the summer from littlecouinie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJqU_oUtSAA
Which version do you prefer - this old one or the one he played at his tour 2008?

Take care!
Jutta
Tina3
Support
Support

Re: Looking for the summer II

Post by Tina3 »

Hi Jutta,
How are you? It's been some time.This one is easy.I much prefer the one from this tour.I hope Chris continues to do this with other songs in the future.
Tina :)
Pick up the pieces and start again.
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

That song is a good song in any version, but I would love to see him playing it live.

Lily B.
Last edited by lilybee on 30 Dec 2008, 21:36, edited 2 times in total.
Jutta
Translator
Translator

Post by Jutta »

lilybee wrote:I've always thought David Letterman was one of the reasons Chris never returned to the USA; he was such a pompous ass and rude to Chris, I wouldn't blame him for not wanted to do another show.

That song is a good song in any version, but I would love to see him playing it live.

Lily B.

Hi Lily, hi Tina!
Why? Could you please repeat or summarise what they are saying in the show? I do not quite understand. Thanks!
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

Hi Jutta,

Although you've addressed your question to Lily and Tina, I would like to add that I felt the same way as Lily about David Letterman treating Chris Rea incorrectly in the TV studio in New York (David Letterman's Late Night Show.) Just watch the interview and judge his behavior for yourself. In the clip, Chris is visibly embarrassed when he waits for an invitation to sit down and David childes him by saying: "what's the matter with you?; just sit down!" "There's noting the matter with me, I just waited to be invited to sit down", Chris replied and David asked - in turn - "haven't I invited you to take the seat last time?" and Chris said: "no, you didn't!", so - at this point - David says: "oh, I'm sorry!" Now, I don't know whether the civilized world underwent such a great transformation but I was brought up (as I believe many of us have been) "to have some manners."
A picture or a video material never lies. I felt both angry and, at the same time, embarrassed for Letterman's behavior. What makes the matter worst, I don't' think he realized he's done something wrong. In some real life situations, a sensitive person just cannot cope with such a host.
Anyway, I always thought Chris was a bit camera shy....
I don't know whether he, while in the US, was treated in a similar way by others (either in a TV studio or in a different forum), but I'm certain this could contributed to his decision not to play gigs or to promote his recordings there. That's why, I believe, he occasionally says in interviews: "America never happened for me" and he explains "other barriers" from the site of corporate representatives.
What really made the matter worst are the union regulations in the US. The American band which normally plays on a TV show, according to many contract regulations, must stay on a show, even though a guest musician (in this case Chris Rea), brings in his own group. So, it's a peculiar situation, not always easy to resolve between the two groups.
The new version of the "Looking for the Summer", by the way, was the best song during the FHBN's tour.
Take care,
Chris
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

My sentiments exactly Chris! :D

Lily B.
Jutta
Translator
Translator

Post by Jutta »

Ah, I see, thank you Chris. But the audience seemed to like the song - and the man. This is the main thing. A Mr Letterman is not Mr America - there a a lot of kind American fans writing in the guesbook of chrisrea.com.
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

Hello Jutta,
I think Chris appeared on the wrong show and was deeply hurt.
The commercial market in America is difficult, yet Chris is no longer with any big label.
A possible tour should be well organized logistically.
Perhaps he will go there to play small clubs, if invited individually?
I'm perfectly aware he has sizable audience there. I've seen posts from fans in Georgia, Texas, Oregon, Washington State, Utah....
I've checked his CDs in record shops in New York, Princeton (NJ), Chicago, Sarasota (FL), Austin (TX), Denver (CO)....
Take care,
Chris
Zeljko
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by Zeljko »

David Letterman obviously didnt knew with whom he was talking to hehe....He thought that he is THE MAN...
Sometimes americans have strange sense of humor....especially when they become famous...
I bet if Chris was better marketed in US that he would be side by side with top american blues musicians....

Z
http://www.zeljkoart.com
Jim M
Support
Support

Post by Jim M »

I think we can all agree that David Letterman is more than a bit of a smart alec and that CR looked very "confused (if not hurt ) by Letterman's schtick ! CR is not really Letterman's kind of guest.
I've recently purchased a CD (KIng of the Beach -the Interview 2000) where CR says he did not want to conquer America as he did not want to spend the rest of his life away from his family.He also said he carries concert interuption insurance on his wife as he would leave any tour if she got ill.I don't think the music business was really ready for someone who appears to be the real deal and actually puts his family ahead of his ambition.I've never had the good fortune to see CR live or meet him but by all the posts i've read of concerts and encounters it looks like we all like him for more than the music and he really seems to be a nice guy! Even though the music would have been enough !He can come to my house anytime -except what music would i play ?
Nothings Happening By the Sea
JIm M
Nothings Happening By The Sea
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

The other day, as I had nothing else to do, I went on Youtube and watched an interview with Tom Waits on David Letterman's Show. It was taped some five years ago (2003.) David presented two new CDs by Waits and chatted with him etc., but what really stroke me was: he was extremely polite and nice towards his guest! I mean: something must have changed in him in the way he conducted this interview. Perhaps someone pointed out to him that he did something wrong with his other guests, including Chris Rea? Or was it the age of David? He is much older now and more mature, it seems.
I thought I should mention it because David Letterman used to behaved differently...
Take care,
Chris
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

Or maybe fatherhood made him a bit nicer...

lilybee