The man The voice The guitar

Which song done it for you and which still does?

Let us know what your favourite song is
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Re: Which song done it for you and which still does?

Post by lilybee »

Hi zeljko
.I have to say, when I heard The Road To Hell I thought that Chris was an american....hehe....
Funny you say that, I love his heavy Northen British accent, even when he sings it shows :D

Lily B.
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

Hi Tina :D
Lily I have seen 2 Benny Santini for sale on E Bay recently.Both CD's and reasonable in price.If you like I will e mail you when I see them.There are still some around.I have seen Deltics too.
I'm trying not to get stuck with a bootleg, so I'm taking my time to find the original old stuff like Benny and Deltics. I found a couple of good ones, but I can always look some more. Email me anytime :D

Lily B.
Zeljko
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by Zeljko »

lilybee wrote:Hi zeljko
.I have to say, when I heard The Road To Hell I thought that Chris was an american....hehe....
Funny you say that, I love his heavy Northen British accent, even when he sings it shows :D

Lily B.

Yes I notice his British accent now :D but in The Road To Hell you cannot notice British accent can you? :D

In other songs we can, and of course when he speaks :lol:

Blues for Janice is my favorite from new album :D
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Hi Everyone,
lilybee wrote:I'm trying not to get stuck with a bootleg, so I'm taking my time to find the original old stuff like Benny and Deltics. I found a couple of good ones, but I can always look some more.
Lily they are not boothlegs.I think they are CD's people are selling on.I have got many good items and none of them were boothlegs.The boothlegs are there of course but it's the original material I get.

Jim M wrote:When I was putting together my collection i can still remember putting a new CD on and just grinning ear to ear over my new prize !
I'm still like that now. :) :)
Jim M wrote:I was in a Supermarket in Mexico and The Road To Hell came on thier PA system !
I could not believe my ears !
I have heard Driving Home For Christmas played in supermarkets at Christmas but nothing else.Well at least it makes the shopping trip more enjoyable. :) :) I think its a bit strange that a man with Chris's musical ability is played in supermarkets but you can hear all types these days.
Tina :) :)
Pick up the pieces and start again.
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Hi Lily,
I agree with you totally.I love his accent especially when you can hear it when he sings. :) :)
lilybee wrote:Funny you say that, I love his heavy Northen British accent, even when he sings it shows :D
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

Hi zeljko :D
Yes I notice his British accent now but in The Road To Hell you cannot notice British accent can you?

In other songs we can, and of course when he speaks

Blues for Janice is my favorite from new album
I actually can hear a perfect accent when a Britton sings, unlike when an American sings, (like Bruce Springteen in concert, you cannot understand what he's saying as clearly, ha ha.)

Blues for Janice is a beautiful song.

Lily B.
chrismiller
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by chrismiller »

Hey Lily and everyone,

I cannot clearly remeber which was the first record I heard from Chris since my favourite local radio station plays Road to Hell, Julia, Looking for the Summer and Auberge very frequently; so I've been listening to these four for ten years and I'm not sure which was the first one. Maybe Road to Hell was the one I could associate to Chris.
And my first CR album was The Best Of.
Unfortunately I didn't have the HBN yet but already heard the Delmonts album and Dirty New Town is my absolute favourite.
I actually can hear a perfect accent when a Britton sings, unlike when an American sings, (like Bruce Springteen in concert, you cannot understand what he's saying as clearly, ha ha.)
To be honest I can hardly understand American English though no problem with Southern and Geordie and several other British accents. I noted a lot of singers have a kind of completely understandable singing accent but you can barely understand when they start to speak. (For instance AC/DC's Brian Johnson; first time I didn't understand a word he's so much of a Geordie)
So on my mind Chris' accent is not that rough when he sings.
Of course, for an American it's clearly different.

Chris
You can waste a whole lifetime trying to be what you think that's expected of you
But you'll never be free.
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

Hi Chris,

You've got a point with ACDC, although it may be 'cause they're Aussies ?
I noted a lot of singers have a kind of completely understandable singing accent but you can barely understand when they start to speak.
I agree, :D

I love listening to Chris Rea speak though, he's calm and polite, so you can understand his Geordie ways.

Lily
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

Hi Chris,
Unfortunately I didn't have the HBN yet but already heard the Delmonts album and Dirty New Town is my absolute favourite.
They don't sell it there yet? Email me, maybe we can trade something... :D

Lily B.
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Hi everyone,
lilybee wrote:I love listening to Chris Rea speak though, he's calm and polite, so you can understand his Geordie ways.

I could listen to Chris talk all night I love his accent that much.
chrismiller wrote:Unfortunately I didn't have the HBN yet but already heard the Delmonts album and Dirty New Town is my absolute favourite.

I love The Delmonts have done from the moment I heard them.Do you know Chris's version of Dirty New Town is a cover version.Chris doesn't do many of those. :)
chrismiller
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by chrismiller »

Hey everyone,

Thank you Lily for your support; HBN is available only my wallet is not at the moment :D But my birthday is about to come...
And though AC/DC belongs to the Aussies they're actually native Brittons. Especially Brian, he never lived in Australia.

On the Dirty New Town, if it's a cover who the original belongs to then?

Yours truly,

Chris
You can waste a whole lifetime trying to be what you think that's expected of you
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Hi Everyone,
chrismiller wrote:On the Dirty New Town, if it's a cover who the original belongs to then?
Although Chris called his song Dirty New Town its title is Dirty Old Town and has been sung by many different singers over the years.It is thought by some that the song refers to Dublin but I think it could refer to any working class town.The best information I could find on it is here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirty_Old_Town. There are also many versions sung as can be seen on Youtube.I think it was 1st brought to the general audience attention by the Dublin group The Dubliners hence the reason why you could think its about Dublin.
Bart
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Bart »

People;

Great to see these discussions going on (I'll try to comment on some but not always enought time, though I read most of them), but I have one request (and just by making this post in the same topic, I deny my own request ... oh well, you'll have to forgive me on this one)...

If the post no longer is "attached" (what would be proper English for this?) to the original start-post, please start a new topic (in the appropriate forum) for the new sub-subject and - in case - refer to the original post elsewhere. E.g. this topic started about "Which song done it for you and which still does?" and is now about "Covering a song" (which is great info, as I really didn't know this!). Perhaps you could start a new topic in "discography" or "HBN the album" and refer to this topic in the start post...

PLEASE remind that this is not a rule, and that I am in now way complaing how the discussions are going, it is just a small "hint". Use it as you like; if a new post gets really too far from the original subject, I'll take action and split them myself (of course in a way that no content is lost!)
REAgards, Bart (webmaster)
chrismiller
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by chrismiller »

Hey everyone,

Just a short post, I don't wanna 'break the new rules' :D (Actually I was about to post right before the forum-shutdown)
So, thanks so much Tina for the informations!
I love the song, anyway, that was the first song of the HBN concert, so somehow that was CR's comeback to me.
Yours truly,

Chris
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Hi Everyone,
I prefer the version than Chris sings too.Bart I will try and keep to the original topic in question :) as if you don't have enough to do without having extra work.
Tina :)