The man The voice The guitar

Which song done it for you and which still does?

Let us know what your favourite song is
mark hughes
dREAm fan
dREAm fan

Which song done it for you and which still does?

Post by mark hughes »

There's quite a few topics on favourite songs or albums but it would be interesting to hear, if you can remember, which was the first Chris Rea song you remember hearing that caused you to go out and by your first album of his? Also to go with this which 1 song from his new album makes you realise why you are still addicted to his music?

The first song I remember hearing was Working On It from the New Light Through Old Windows album and this was the first album I bought. (now have them all! :D )

The one song from the new album (I know, hard to choose) that made me realise why I am still addicted is Meet Me On A Mountain. I'm a grown man now but this song almost made me cry the first time I heard it.
...In this garden I will burn my callous robes...
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Re: Which song done it for you and which still does?

Post by lilybee »

Hi Mark,

I love meet me on the Mountain! Also Blues for Janice. Really, the whole album.

But my favorite ballad from HBN is definitely I Will Be With You.

I posted this before, the first song I heard was Fool, but I couldn't get the album then.

The first album I got was On The Beach, after watching the video on VH1 on 86, (yeah, the blonde Chris), I was hooked again.

I have 14 of his Cds, plus the two earbooks. Still in the process of buying the rest.

Cheers,

Lily B.
mark hughes
dREAm fan
dREAm fan

Post by mark hughes »

Hi Lily b,

I envy you! I am fortunate to have all of Chris Rea's albums and love every one of them but to be in a position where there are still quite a few albums and songs of his you haven't heard yet would give me a great feeling! I remember when I first started buying his albums and over the period of a couple of months I built up his back catalogue and was filled with excitement when playing each one for the first time. :D Enjoy your collecting and if you have any problems getting hold of any let me know. :D
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

Well Mark, since you mentioned it...

I'm having trouble finding the first one, Benny Santini, (unless I pay over $150 on ebay! ) I can get Deltics for about $40.

I'm not trying to be cheap, but that's pretty steep for a cd. Since I'm the USA, I don't have a lot of choices to find CR older cds.

I do have:

Tennis
Chris Rea
Water Sign
Wired to the Moon
Shamrock Diaries
On The Beach
Dancing with Strangers
NLTOW
The Road to Hell
The Blue Cafe (twice)
King of the Beach
The Very Best of Chris Rea (twice)
Blue Guitars
HBN book.

I would be willing to trade my other HBN book (brand new, sealed) for some of the missing CDs or DVDs, let me know.

Lily B.
mark hughes
dREAm fan
dREAm fan

Post by mark hughes »

imagemkr
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by imagemkr »

It was in the late eighties and I was camping on a Sioux Indian Reservation in South Dakota. I was listening to a local Native American station and they were playing stuff from all over the dial. On cam the long two part version of Road to Hell. I had no idea who Chris Rea was. Could have been a local from the rez for all I knew but I just went crazy for the song. Spent the next month or so tracking down the album and found a cassette in a store in Chicago. Bought it and played it death. I thought that was his only album. A few years later, got Auberge and Greatest Hits and have been hooked ever since.

I now have just about everything he's done except the oddball singles, promos and EPs. I think the track count is somewhere around 470. I never get tired of hearing his music and with that much to chose from I don't hear the same tunes very ofter (unless I want to) Just completed the collection and have been listening to Blue Guitars steadily for a week.

I still love Road to Hell and the album as a whole is still one of my favorites.

Cheers, Thom
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

I forgot to mention, I also have The Blue Juke Box

(Thanks to Tina :D :D )

Lily B.
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

Hi Mark,
I have been to that site before, but wasn't sure about buying there. After searching some more, I found two good deals through amazon.uk third party sellers, that look reliable and have decent prices for Benny and Deltics.

The rest of the collection will go along with my paychecks every month, can't buy it all at once!
(but will have it all eventually).

Thanks! :D

Lily b.
Zeljko
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by Zeljko »

The first song I heard was Josephine back in 1991. I was sooo hooked to this song that I played this song for a month until found out who the singer was hehe...
Then I heard The Road To Hell...then purchased this album...and since then everything is round and rosy hehe....I have to say, when I heard The Road To Hell I thought that Chris was an american....hehe....

http://www.zeljkoart.com
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Hi Everyone,
My 1st song from Chris was Fool... and I heard it in Dublin I think in 1982 at his concert.I had gone along to keep my sister company only knowing that one song and I have never looked back.On his latest album my favourate song is Looking Glass Blues but as is usual it not the only one.
Lily I have seen 2 Benny Santini for sale on E Bay recently.Both CD's and reasonable in price.If you like I will e mail you when I see them.There are still some around.I have seen Deltics too.Reason I didn't e mail you then was you were on holidays.But I will keep my eyes open.I hope I don't get into trouble for mentioning E Bay.I'm not sure if I am breaking any rules that Bart has for his site.I hope not as I know not everyone is happy about E bay. :)
Tina :) :)
Pick up the pieces and start again.
imagemkr
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by imagemkr »

Here in California, you still hear Fool (If you think its over) in supermarkets and department stores. Probably most people here in the states know this song, but have no idea who does it or how prolific and great he really is!!

Thom
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Hi Thom,
I can't imagine Chris been played in a supermarket :) :) but at least it makes the shopping go easier :) :)
Tina :)
Pick up the pieces and start again.
Jim M
Support
Support

Post by Jim M »

Tina3 wrote:Hi Thom,
I can't imagine Chris been played in a supermarket :) :) but at least it makes the shopping go easier :) :)
Tina :)
Tina
I was in a Supermarket in Mexico and The Road To Hell came on thier PA system !
I could not believe my ears !
Jim
Nothings Happening By The Sea
Jim M
Support
Support

Post by Jim M »

mark hughes wrote:Hi Lily b,

I envy you! I am fortunate to have all of Chris Rea's albums and love every one of them but to be in a position where there are still quite a few albums and songs of his you haven't heard yet would give me a great feeling! I remember when I first started buying his albums and over the period of a couple of months I built up his back catalogue and was filled with excitement when playing each one for the first time. :D Enjoy your collecting and if you have any problems getting hold of any let me know. :D
Mark

I can totally relate to your comment !When I was putting together my collection i can still remember putting a new CD on and just grinning ear to ear over my new prize ! Of course over the past couple of years Blue Guitars /HBN and for those of us that have not seen him live what a treat when i 1st played and watched The Road To Hell & Back !
JIm
imagemkr
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by imagemkr »

Hi Tina -
I can't imagine Chris been played in a supermarket but at least it makes the shopping go easier
Tina
I hear this song almost every time I go to this one particular supermarket. They must have a very small loop on their "shopping music." I told my post lady yesterday about CR and when I mentioned Fool, she knew it sounded familiar. Everyone here knows this song if you play it. It almost won a grammy 30 years ago. But that's it. Nobody knows anything else about Chris. Amazing and a shame. I'm trying to do my part!!

Cheers, Thom