The man The voice The guitar

Winter Song

Let us know what your favourite song is
mark hughes
dREAm fan
dREAm fan

Winter Song

Post by mark hughes »

Winter Song has too be my favourite although Who Do You Love from the King of the Beach album also gets the hairs on the back of the neck going. King Of The Beach is, in my opinion, Chris's finest album to date. :smt045
Last edited by mark hughes on 01 May 2008, 22:38, edited 1 time in total.
Gerby
dREAm fan
dREAm fan

Post by Gerby »

What do you think of "September Blue" ?? Pfff...what a song !!
Best album IMO "Wired to the moon" but as you know there only good albums and it will always be a personal choice :wink:
mark hughes
dREAm fan
dREAm fan

Post by mark hughes »

September Blue is a stunning piece of music, as is the W2TM album which reminds me ...I haven't listened to it for some time, i only have it on cassette I must upgrade to a CD. :idea:
John

Post by John »

I would love Chris to play Cenotaph/letter from Amsterdam at his farewell concert - no chance I bet!
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

on favorite songs

Post by Chris »

John wrote:I would love Chris to play Cenotaph/letter from Amsterdam at his farewell concert - no chance I bet!
I guess, everyone of us has his/her favorite song, or several songs. "September Blue" is a sad song which Chris wrote for his mother, when she passed away in September 1983. But normally it appeals to anyone who is feeling down and kind of blue once the Autumn descends on us. It's all about feelings and moods regardless if it's after someone dies or goes through a difficult period in life. "The Winter Song" helps to overcome the winter depression, especially when the days are short and there's a lack of day light. This is also very much true with the "Looking for the Summer."
Chris composes beautiful songs because he writes good texts and knows how to express his emotions. Never mind that he keeps on repeating (or rewriting) certain phrases or themes.
There are songs generally perceived as "love songs" (because they indeed are love songs), such as "Still Beautiful" (after all these years), "Who Do You Love" (who do you really, really love), or a nostalgic classic "On The Beach", which is generally taken for a declaration to lay back and do nothing, when in fact it's a song about lingering, yearning to be on the beach; only a certain beach and in a particular place. I might never know the real reasons why Chris wrote this or that song, but I tend to interpret them my way. That's why I'm grateful to other Chris Rea's fans and to Bart for revealing to us certain facts from Chris' biography. This, in turn, helps us identify places (Stainsby, Steel River) or periods (stages) of his life ("Letter from Amsterdam", "Windy Town", ((do you remember, do you recall; oh I remember, I remember it all))), to better understand his songs.
I personally hope that Chris Rea will play in Warsaw the song he wrote for Poland in transition, from communism to democracy, called "Candles" (CD "Water Sign", 1984 as well as CD "New Light through Old Windows", 1988.) It's all about hope, trust and support to all of us who were struggling with the communist regime. The latest was desperately trying to stay in power by introducing the martial law, arresting scores of people and clamping down on the free trade movement. I know that this is all but history now (and I'm repeating myself in my posts to ((perhaps?)) annoyance of some fans), but I would love to hear and see Chris perform the song once more. Especially, since the younger generations know nothing about it. It's like every picture tells a story, you know.
Best regards to all Chris Rea's fans and Happy New Year, 2006!
Chris
karl_blues
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Favorites

Post by karl_blues »

Candles is one of my fav tracks too. It would also be nice to see some re-records of the older tracks with new digital technology and new mixes.

Kind of like a New Light Through Old Windows 2.
Gonna miss what I never had
Now that cigarette is gone
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Re: Favorites

Post by Chris »

karl_blues wrote:Candles is one of my fav tracks too. It would also be nice to see some re-records of the older tracks with new digital technology and new mixes.

Kind of like a New Light Through Old Windows 2.
------------
------------

Nicely put. "New Light Through Old Windows 2", would be a good answer to all of us, I guess, just to strengthen our perceptions of Chris' songs. That's why I hope for the "new live versions", from the current tour, to be issued as an album, perhaps a 2 CD box? That's in addition to a 'live' DVD!
Best regards,
Chris
pam
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

Post by pam »

John wrote:I would love Chris to play Cenotaph/letter from Amsterdam at his farewell concert - no chance I bet!
I am thinking that Deltics must be a favourite album of yours! Mine also! Favourite track of all time is Diamonds - do you have any other favourites?

Pam
Could it be just that I'm crazy
Could it be the way I feel
DJC

September Blue

Post by DJC »

There are two completely different songs by Chris - bot with the title September Blue and both very different in tempo.

The first one is on a vinyl 12" Mini Album / Single released in 1985 as the 12" extended mix of Stainsby Girls.

The other songs are Dancing Shoes and When she smiles.

This version is a solid upbeat track with a great chorus.

The other one is on the Dancing with Strangers album from 1987 as you know but is different in lyrics, music, etc - a whole new song.
DJC

Winter Song

Post by DJC »

I assume the author means "Winter Song" from the Auberge Album ( although not on the original white coloured cover version but the second re-release with the green background) - a truly great and under rated song.
mark hughes
dREAm fan
dREAm fan

Post by mark hughes »

Winter song it is, can't understand why Autumn song was in my mind? Obviosly too much wine :shock:
stainsbygirl
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by stainsbygirl »

I think it's time to refresh discussion :D
My favourite album is shamrock diaries, especially the song "one golden rule"
Furthermore:
- Bones of angels- King of the beach
- Since I found you- The blue cafe
- Loving you again- Dancing with strangers
- Who do you love- King of the beach
- I don't care anymore- Dancing with strangers
- Give that girl a diamond- stony road
- 'Til the morning sun shines on my love and me- Blue Guitars
and of course the "farewell-tour-version" of
I can hear your heartbeat!!
I would be pleased with more "favourites", it's quite interesting!
I will never know now
The best way to be
'Til the morning sun shines
On my love
And me
Zeljko
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Re: Winter Song

Post by Zeljko »

I used to play slide solo of Winter Song several years ago...quite easy...and beautiful of course...

Zeljko
www.zeljkoart.com