The man The voice The guitar

Five one of the greatests

Let us know what your favourite song is
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Five one of the greatests

Post by Mr_Blues »

This is hard question indeed, but here´s one of the favorite songs of Chris which I like a very very much.

Windy Town

Curse of the traveller

Stone

Long is the time hard is the road

Got to Be Moving On

Mr_Blues from Finland
Too many good words to add here.
I better just sit back and drink beer. :)
Zgred
REAddict
REAddict

the greatest

Post by Zgred »

Windy Town !!!!!! Stone !!!
Absolutely perfect, some of the deepest songs, shivers are running on back... !
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Re: the greatest

Post by Mr_Blues »

Zgred wrote:Windy Town !!!!!! Stone !!!
Absolutely perfect, some of the deepest songs, shivers are running on back... !
Yeah. Also Looking for the summer and Nothing to fear are great :)
Zgred
REAddict
REAddict

the greatest

Post by Zgred »

It would be much easier to pick those which are not great :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Re: the greatest

Post by Mr_Blues »

Zgred wrote:It would be much easier to pick those which are not great :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Well yeah :)
pam
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

faves

Post by pam »

Are there any that are not great?? :roll:

Sometimes they take a bit of getting used to. I remember hearing 'Let's Dance' for the first time and thinking that Chris had gone all commercial. But in the context of the whole 'Dancing with Strangers' album, it seemed perfect. The tour that year was amazing - great live performance :D
Could it be just that I'm crazy
Could it be the way I feel
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Re: faves

Post by Mr_Blues »

pam wrote:Are there any that are not great?? :roll:

Sometimes they take a bit of getting used to. I remember hearing 'Let's Dance' for the first time and thinking that Chris had gone all commercial. But in the context of the whole 'Dancing with Strangers' album, it seemed perfect. The tour that year was amazing - great live performance :D
Alright, there´s not many of those which ain´t great :)
Maybe some tracks on The Road To Hell Part 2.

You lucky, you´ve seen The Man perform on live during the 80´s.
I haven´t seen him never on live, quess I was born too late :(
Well, I will hope to see him on live someday, if he´s not coming to Finland I just gotta go see him to other counry, like Germany or UK :)

By the way, I´m exited that my status has moved up, I´m REAdict :D
Zgred
REAddict
REAddict

songs that are _not_ great ;)

Post by Zgred »

Excuse me.... but.... hell yes!! There are not-so-cool songs! :mrgreen: First let me explain my point of view before you burn me alive :mrgreen:

Usually when I listen to an album, after a few times I have about 1/3 to 1/2 of content that is stuff I really enjoy, and the rest is, hmm, you know, just fine ;) I mean - it's not I like all of his songs, some of then even I don't like (d@mn it's possible?). It's twisted - but the songs I prefer more than other make the whole album worth owning. Even I can say that contrast between my best and my worst pushes that best songs higher in my ranking... in other words, I appreciate more the good songs when I also listen to less-good songs :)

Pam wrote: Sometimes they take a bit of getting used to.
You know Pam, it's not that simple :). Some songs are my love at first sight (hear) and until now I have never get bored of them. And it's a looooong list. Other ones that didn't give me the blast, sometimes become better after studying lyrics, but still aren't my favourite.

Anyway the Chris' Best Of are not accurately my "best of" too, but that's not important as long as he makes one really marvellous record from time to time... or rather, I will continue buying his albums just in tribute to all what he recorded previously. And with each following album there is more to pay a tribute to. That's the way it works.

Good to hear that Chris is getting better after last accident.
pam
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

Post by pam »

Zgred

you sum up very nicely the whole concept of music - and other art, perhaps - that it is a very personal thing and we do not all like the same things. It is great that we can discuss and hear other's views. Of course I agree that albums of any artist usually contain stronger and weaker tracks - it is worth considering the whole 'picture' (sound?)

:)
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by Mr_Blues »

pam wrote:Zgred

you sum up very nicely the whole concept of music - and other art, perhaps - that it is a very personal thing and we do not all like the same things. It is great that we can discuss and hear other's views. Of course I agree that albums of any artist usually contain stronger and weaker tracks - it is worth considering the whole 'picture' (sound?)

:)
I agree with Zgred and Pam. But the point here, the big picture which we all can see is that Mr. Chris Rea has done a marvelous job with music which he has done so long. We all know that there is some not so good tracks but it´s just obvious. Who can do everytime just fantastic work? We are humans after all :) Anyhow one thing to add here is that I think Chris is on fire at the moment with his career, must be the greatest years going on now. Chris gets older like a wine :)
Zgred
REAddict
REAddict

discussion...

Post by Zgred »

You don't know how long I waited to have other Rea fans to discuss with :)

Anyway it seems to me that "RTH 2" is underrated by most of you, so I need to ask you what's wrong with that? A lot of lyrics there are really wise and intriguing ("Can't get through", "E", "Evil no. 2") music is also good ("Firefly" and "Good morning" are cool), and finally I consider RTH 2 as being one of purest Chris' thoughts... all right, that synthetic rhythms sometimes sound strange...
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Re: discussion...

Post by Mr_Blues »

Zgred wrote:You don't know how long I waited to have other Rea fans to discuss with :)

Anyway it seems to me that "RTH 2" is underrated by most of you, so I need to ask you what's wrong with that? A lot of lyrics there are really wise and intriguing ("Can't get through", "E", "Evil no. 2") music is also good ("Firefly" and "Good morning" are cool), and finally I consider RTH 2 as being one of purest Chris' thoughts... all right, that synthetic rhythms sometimes sound strange...
Well, I just don´t like those computer sounds. I like to hear real drums and bass. You can´t copy those instruments with computers, no matter what you do. Computer sounds are "plastic", real instruments are organic and that´s which gives soul and heart to real instruments.

Lyrics are fine, nothing wrong with them. Actually it would be nice to hear The Road To Hell Part 2 version B or something like that with real instruments. Any chance for that Chris?? :)
pam
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

Re: discussion...

Post by pam »

Zgred wrote:You don't know how long I waited to have other Rea fans to discuss with :)

Anyway it seems to me that "RTH 2" is underrated by most of you, so I need to ask you what's wrong with that?
Since having a CD player in the car, I have been listening to whole albums again - not just Chris Rea, the whole collection which, by the way, contains a selection from the last 40 years (Aerosmith & Abba through Doobie Brothers, Embrace, Gladys Knight, Led Zep, Thunder, Train, to Yes!) so I decided to get out RTH 2. Oops - have to admit now I know why it is one that I have not listened to for a while. There are loads of good things about it, but I think that the music is better than the lyrics/vocals. I notice that there are very few sleeve notes - I wonder what Chris was thinking at the time?? I will be interested to hear what others think of this album from the late 90s, I believe.
:?:

Pam
Zgred
REAddict
REAddict

discussion

Post by Zgred »

Let's say that RTH 2 just follows Chris... he had an idea of make things in a little different way, like everyone sometimes wants to change habits and see what happens. It's my opinion of course, I say RTH 2 is still 100% Chris Rea, it's definitely not an unsuccesful experiment, the Man himself considered it is not so well done job (am I not wrong here?) but who said I should agree to that? :mrgreen:

I like RTH 2, you can even prove me it's a crap, but it wouldn't change a thing. Howgh :wink:
Michigan_Mark
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by Michigan_Mark »

you mean Chris has written a BAD song???? I sure cant figure out for the life of me which one that might be!! I just cleaned out my music files from my computer!!! 4/ 120 min cd's of nothing but Chris' music!!! dog gone!!!