'La Passione' 2 CD and 4 DVD earbook release 2015

Stop the presses
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Re: 'La Passione' 2 CD and 4 DVD earbook release 2015

Post by andrew fischer »

Hi everybody,

it has just sprung to my mind: for the new La Passione, Chris apparently needed 1960s racing cars. For these purposes he built 3 Ferrari replicas (156 F1 Sharknose, 250 Testa Rossa and 196 SP Dino) when making the original film in the 90s. I wonder how did he manage this difficult and expensive issue for the remake of the film, especially considering that he got rid of all the replicas he had made back then. He could either ask the current owners of his replicas for commissioning these cars for the new film, or he could build or commission the new ones. Anyway, this must have cost a heap of money to implement. Maybe that is why he was so commercially-foused during his 2 most recent tours - he simply needed money to fund his new expensive project!

Stange, though, that none of the cars used for the new La Passione has yet been leaked on the web...

What do you think?..

best regards
Andrey
My VK fan page for Chris Rea in Russian: http://vk.com/chris_rea
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

Hi andrey,

To be honest, if he was busy with the project as big as it should have been, some would have gone through the press.
The old La Passione was quite Impressionistic, so I think he would use other techniques, think of The Santo Spirito Blus Movies, old movies or material?
But I really worry. I know he does some racing, but with music?
Maybe there is a writer's block type of thing. Although that is hard to believe.
I guess it has to do with or the right or his health? Or Both...

Best wishes,
Anneke
You're never to old to dance!
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

Hi eveyone again,

glad to tell you that Chris's health is surely alright as he is on the list of yearly Goodwood Revial motor race held this weekend, here he is on the page 3, #22/330:
https://cdn.gwsrv.net/wp-content/upload ... 2.9.15.pdf

According to this entry list, Chris is racing his silver-metallic 1955 Lotus-Ford VI again, like he did in 2009-2011, here are the pitures from 2009 Goodwood Revival:

Hope some music news is soon to come from Chris as well.

Best regards
Andrey
MRB
guitaREA
guitaREA

Post by MRB »

So finally, and even be released this year, November 6 :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Passione-Bonus- ... =chris+rea

ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

Fantastic!
BlueMaranello
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

Post by BlueMaranello »

Yes!!!
I knew Chris wasn't loafing around!
Now... a tour that includes Belgrade, Serbia would be fantastic!
Thank you, Chris! Best wishes, as always!
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

Hi MRB and thanks a lot for posting this here, though I have already learnt this news yesrterday, just could not share.

I was a bit frustrated as I have googled news on Chris Rea just some hours ago before this letter came in! So, from one point of view, I missed the news as I was not the first to find and share them, considering I have been tediously fishing for any news on Chris for a long time already.

There is still very little information on the new release, just another tentative date, uncertain description and a very strange cover. For the moment I cannot say I loved it at once. Maybe the cover will change, or maybe I will love it as it is.

To me the new cover seems too dark-mooded for a film about a boy's dream, it seems to appear more of a taken life of the racer and a dream never coming true. I do not think Chris changed the plot that much.

And the design recalls me of a cheaply-made computer game cover. Maybe I will change my view some time after but this is what my first impression is, considering the old La Passione has always been my all-time favourite.

I will try to fish for some more info today and share immediately if I find out anything crucial.

best wishes
Andrey
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

Hi,

I think the cover brings up many questions, per example, who made it? It is obvious a painting with a racing helmet and glasses and a horse. Can't imagine Chris did this himself. A family project? Since Josephine can paint quite realistic.
And the only label that is given on the release is Jazee Blue.
Should be interesting, also a book with 70 pages full wit photographs and painting.
Hope it will be released that date!

Anneke
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

I am more intrigued by the announced additional "new" material and "some" remixing.

I guess the singles' B-sides, Von Tips and La Passione - Reprise (Dino) will be surely added, and quite probably such songs like Only to Fly and Disco La Passione will appear in the new verions, hopefully without those heavy drum machines, and also maybe some tunes that appear in the film but not on the CD will be added to the soundtrack.

best regards
Andrey
MRB
guitaREA
guitaREA

Post by MRB »

Cover is cool as it is, don´t believe it will change, no point releasing cover picture and then changing it when released.

I found out the news yesterday in Facebook.

All in all good news, and I do believe the release will happen now as mentioned, earlier they did not release any exact date or any other info either.

Hopefully there will be enough good new material or the project might not be that great, Santo Spirit was not my cup of tea.
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

I consider that the cover should still depict a young boy, as the main idea of this film has always been the dreams of a boy. Perhaps the actor who played Jo in the movie did not agree to use his image again on the cover? It is stupid assumption, I know, but there must be a certain reason why the idea and the perception of the cover has changed so dramatically.

Strange that Amazon remtins the only official source of information, no changes on Facebook official page or official website... Imagem records, which was announced to sign Chris Rea, has no news on its website on Chris as well, and neither does Warner Bros. So it is obviously not suppsed to be a "big time" release. I am a bit afraid that the album may sound "too independent" again...

Really hope my assumptions are wrong.

best regards
Andrey
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

Hi Andrey,

Since he's independent, no pressure to promote. Maybe he/they will change everything just slowly.
I only know him since 2002, so have no clue how it went with p.e. Blue Jukebox and 5 Guitars...
Never followed him really untill I sucscribed here. Only 5 years ago, after that FB.
He was always as low profile as possible. Does he still have John Knowles as manager?
Maybe the managment will give him some pressure. I assume not.

Best wishes,
Anneke
MRB
guitaREA
guitaREA

Post by MRB »

Well they release it on FB and official website soon I think, as usual they are way too late with it but that is how things are run with him, poorly.

Cover image is cool I think, like it more everytime I see it.
It has Ferrari logo (the horse) pair of old driver helmet and glasses and the background is red.
In the other hand, won´t be thinking something like cover image too much, what counts is the material inside the boxset.
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

Hi Anneke,

both Blue Jukebox and Blue Guitars, unlike later albums, were pretty well promoted - many aired and printed interviews, radio and TV shows around the time of release, tours right after the release (and even live presentation before Blue Jukebox release) with lots of then-new material played. So I do not consider his early independent releases low-profile. The things only changed in 2007: only a couple vague interviews shortly prior to release, almost no radio airplay or interviews, etc. I really hope it will not be the same this time, though there are many old interviews and other promo-materials about La Passione from 1993-97 that can be used now.

The were rumours that Chris has splitted with John Knowles, but I do not recall any concrete proof of that.

Thanks for you comments
best regards
Andrey
ace of hearts
REAddict
REAddict

Post by ace of hearts »

I love the cover art, it is the best tribute he can give to the driver he admired as a boy and filed his dreams, Wolfgang Von Trips, I have pre ordered but do not anticipate being blown away, lets wait and see. The first release was not one of my favourites and the film itself a bit to arty for my taste.
However, as I have aged since then I maybe will be ready to re visit and be more positive about the project. I do hope the new material includes new songs. Whatever is said, you can never doubt the passion Chris has for his projects, he believes in them and isn't looking for critical acclaim.

Roll on 6th November.
could this be true, could this be me..