The man The voice The guitar

best-of

All topics concerning Chris' discography

best-of

Post by Guest »

Hello,
I have a question. Is it worthwhile to buy this Platinum-Collection (or any other best-of-albums), when youŽve got all the regular albums of Chris Rea? Are there any additions like special song-versions or pictures included? With my current equipment IŽm not able to listen to the samples on Barts or any other site.

Jutta (the log in didn´t work today.)
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Re: best-of

Post by Chris »

Anonymous wrote:Hello,
I have a question. Is it worthwhile to buy this Platinum-Collection (or any other best-of-albums), when youŽve got all the regular albums of Chris Rea? Are there any additions like special song-versions or pictures included? With my current equipment IŽm not able to listen to the samples on Barts or any other site.

Jutta (the log in didn´t work today.)
-----------------

Hi Jutta, long time no see....
Although you shouldn't give in to my suggestions (since buying a CD is always a personal choice), I'm of the opinion that Chris Rea's "best of" (dubbed as "Platinum Collection"), issued just a while ago, contains really nothing new.
It's just a way of making extra money on the current wave, or aftershock, followed Chris Rea's successful "farewell" tour. I think Warner still owns the copy rights, you know....
Some of the material on this CD was taken from his previous "best of", while I myself would rather prefer the 'older' versions.
So, unless one "gotta have it", he (she) shouldn't buy it. It's not worth the money, since it's only another compilation. I would rather go for all these unique (because they are all different somehow) 'live' version CDs from Chris' gigs in Amsterdam, Hamburg, Sheffield and so on.
Take care,
Chris
SuzyQ

New fan

Post by SuzyQ »

I am from West Texas and was just turned on to Chris by an old friend while on vacation. I believe I heard the Best of Chris from 95. What would be the best choice for getting one "Best of" CD?
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Re: New fan

Post by Chris »

SuzyQ wrote:I am from West Texas and was just turned on to Chris by an old friend while on vacation. I believe I heard the Best of Chris from 95. What would be the best choice for getting one "Best of" CD?
------------

Hello to you SuzyQ in West Texas,

I'm glad you have been hooked on to listen to Chris Rea's songs.
Reversing myself, in a sense, if you haven't bought any "best of" so far, the "Platinum Collection" of Chris Rea would be a very good choice for you.
The other "best of" I could thing of, would be the "New Light Through Old Windows" (the best of) from 1988, or "the best of" Chris Rea from 1994 (with 16 classic tracks, including "Road to Hell", "Auberge", "Go Your Own Way", "Josephine" and "Julia".)
Another thing, you might have some different versions of "the best of Chris Rea" issued only for the US market. Generally speaking: "the best of" are for new fans to introduce them to the old songs.
To induce others (the 'old fans') to buy these CDs record companies include on them a 'song never published before', a 'live cut' or 'an uncut version', or something similar. It's all a part of marketing strategy.
One can find himself (herself) purchasing a CD only to have this or that 'new' song....

West Texas, you say? I've been there, just for a while though, back in 1973. Well it sounds, like ages ago!
Take care,
Chris
elangelo
REAddict
REAddict

Post by elangelo »

Chris wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Hello,
I have a question. Is it worthwhile to buy this Platinum-Collection (or any other best-of-albums), when youЋve got all the regular albums of Chris Rea? Are there any additions like special song-versions or pictures included? With my current equipment IЋm not able to listen to the samples on Barts or any other site.

Jutta (the log in didnґt work today.)
-----------------

Hi Jutta, long time no see....
Although you shouldn't give in to my suggestions (since buying a CD is always a personal choice), I'm of the opinion that Chris Rea's "best of" (dubbed as "Platinum Collection"), issued just a while ago, contains really nothing new.
It's just a way of making extra money on the current wave, or aftershock, followed Chris Rea's successful "farewell" tour. I think Warner still owns the copy rights, you know....
Some of the material on this CD was taken from his previous "best of", while I myself would rather prefer the 'older' versions.
So, unless one "gotta have it", he (she) shouldn't buy it. It's not worth the money, since it's only another compilation. I would rather go for all these unique (because they are all different somehow) 'live' version CDs from Chris' gigs in Amsterdam, Hamburg, Sheffield and so on.
Take care,
Chris
I agree! The only 'The Best' I liked was 'Heartbeats' from 1987 or so, with older versions of Josephine, Steel River etc.
Don't cry, baby don't cry
The worst is gone....
SuzyQ

Post by SuzyQ »

Thanks for the feedback Chris.

I am surprised that Chris hasn't got more notice here in the states. I'll do my part to share the prize of his music with my friends.

SuzyQ from West Texas

Post by Guest »

I agree! The only 'The Best' I liked was 'Heartbeats' from 1987 or so, with older versions of Josephine, Steel River etc.[/quote]

Hello elangelo,

do you talk about the version of Josephine you can hear on the video or on the Shamrock-album? I´m searching for the video-version.

Thanks
Jutta (Bart, why doesn´t work the log in??? :smt102)
blueskev

Post by blueskev »

Hi SuzyQ,
I have always thought 'best of' cds are for casual listeners rather than true fans. You are likely to get the popular chart songs but miss out on lots of gems that weren't released as singles.
Do you prefer his older songs or the Jazzeeblue releases?

Kev.
It's just me
and my deep blue ways...
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

Anonymous wrote:I agree! The only 'The Best' I liked was 'Heartbeats' from 1987 or so, with older versions of Josephine, Steel River etc.

Hello elangelo,

do you talk about the version of Josephine you can hear on the video or on the Shamrock-album? Iґm searching for the video-version.

Thanks
Jutta (Bart, why doesnґt work the log in??? :smt102)[/quote]

Hi Jutta!
Your post was sent a long time ago, and I came across it by accident, but if you're still searching for the video version of “Josephine” (my favourite version), I can say that you can find it on the 2001 The very best album with the stratocaster in the gamma-ray on the cover. By the way this compilation contains one more unique release – a tribute to Airton Senna called “Saudade”. So that I bought this album only because these two tracks were on it. The same with 1994 the best of, which contains previously unreleased song “Three Little Green Candles”.

PS: hope now the log-in works well J

Best regards,
&ru
My VK fan page for Chris Rea in Russian: http://vk.com/chris_rea