Mark Knopfler tour anyone?

Here you can talk about any artist BUT Chris Rea
mark hughes
dREAm fan
dREAm fan

Mark Knopfler tour anyone?

Post by mark hughes »

Hi all,

It's seems that we have quite a large number of Mark Knopfler fans on this forum, just wondering if any of you have or are going to see him on his current tour? I'm off to see him on Wednesday evening at the Royal Albert Hall in London and the set list is quite a long one and a mix of new, old and Dire Straits tunes. I'll let you know how it goes but it would be good to hear if anyone has already seen him.

Regards,

Mark.
...In this garden I will burn my callous robes...
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Re: Mark Knopfler tour anyone?

Post by lilybee »

We'll try to see him July 29 in Atlanta, :-) :D

Lily
chrismiller
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by chrismiller »

Hey Mark and Lily,

I unfortunately missed my fellow-Hungarian's concert two weeks ago because of some 'financial reasons'.

But there's a review on local web so that's what you can prepare to:
Mr. Knopfler began with Cannibals (rhythm played with a double-bass) then continued with several tracks from The Ragpicker's Dream and Sailing to Philadelphia albums (including title tracks) and also played The Fish and the Bird from his latest Kill To Get Crimson. Later he did classics like Romeo and Juliet and Sultans of Swing from the Dire Straits-era.

The gig lasted about two hours ended with Telegraph Road plus a double encore session including Brothers in Arms, Our Shangri-La, So Far Away and the instrumental Going Home.

The reviewer wrote there was a bit of problem with mixing causing distortions during solos but apart everything went O.K. Mr. Knopfler used 6 guitars and no picks while playing; the set decoration contained a huge, neckless dobro-guitar hanging from the ceiling. One of the organists was Dire Straits' Guy Fletcher. Besides, the band has second guitarist Richard Bennett, a second organist, a Scotch musician playing flute and violin, and rhythm section, of course.

So I think you'll have a hell-of-a-time... may my jealousy be with you :D

Chris
You can waste a whole lifetime trying to be what you think that's expected of you
But you'll never be free.
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

My "other" favorite guitarist, :D

(Although I kinda of dropped him lately.... :lol: , been too busy here)

We get a free copy of Kill To Get Crimson for buying 2 tickets. Should be an excellent concert,
I'll try to get pix if we get close enough.

Lily
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

So mark Knopfler is Hungarian/English.I oftern wondered where the name came from.

I had a choice of tickets either Chris or Mark so I think you know which one I picked.Maybe next time I might get to see him although now I am kicking myself so to speak that I didn't go to see him.
Tina :)
Pick up the pieces and start again.
kroc

Post by kroc »

Hi , I consider myself lucky i have just seen Chris at Newcastle City hall in April he had the crowd stomping to his music one of the best shows i have ever seen. He was clearly enjoying hinmself dancing all over the stage , and by the time he got to playing Stainsby Girls i thought he was going to blow the roof off. I would be nice if a dVD or a live recording was to be made as i think it would sell very well..

Also i Have just seen Mark Knopfler at City Hall Newcastle 21/5/08 I have seen him many times in the past but this must be his best performance for me EVER it was out of this world.

hurry back Chris and Mark.

kroc
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Hi Kroc,
Nice to have new face.You are now a member of BEST Chris Rea site on the Web.Which night did you see Chris in Newcastle? He was as you rightly point out fanastic.I doubt if Chris will do a DVD of the concert as he doesn't do live recordings.He has only the one and it doesn't look like there will be another.

kroc wrote:Also i Have just seen Mark Knopfler at City Hall Newcastle 21/5/08 I have seen him many times in the past but this must be his best performance for me EVER it was out of this world.
Look like I missed a great show.Nice talking to you
Peter S...
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by Peter S... »

Tina3 wrote:So mark Knopfler is Hungarian/English.I oftern wondered where the name came from.

Mark Knopfler was born in Glasgow and left the city as a three year old with his family for Newcastle.

Peter S...
Between the eyes of love I call your name
Behind the guarded walls I used to go
Upon a summer wind there's a certain melody
Takes me back to the place that I know
Down on the beach
blueskev

Post by blueskev »

I'm a huge MK fan and saw him a few years ago at the royal Albert Hall. I just love his lyrics; who else can write a great song about quality shoes! It was a good concert but I was slightly disappointed with the sound. I think Chris achieves such a good live sound that anyone else doesn't compare!
We did try and get tickets to see MK in Brighton but all the good seats had gone.....

I will be interested to hear about the concerts from this tour.
Kev.
It's just me
and my deep blue ways...
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Hi Evryone,
blueskev wrote:I will be interested to hear about the concerts from this tour.
I take it Kev you didn't get to see him this time round.? Yes the lyrics from his songs are hard to beat.

Peter,I think I have not written clearly what I meant.I know Mark was born in Scotland what I meant was his father was Hungarian and his mother was English.Is that more correct so to speak ? Or is that information incorrect?
alan1958
guitaREA
guitaREA

Post by alan1958 »

Hi Guys,
Mark Knopfler and his brother both went to the same primary school as my wife ( not at the same time , of course) , and that was Whiteinch Primary School , Whiteinch , Glasgow ,Scotland.( Near my home)
All my mates went to that school ,and when Dire Straits played their first big gig in Glasgow ,many years ago , Mark Knopfler asked the audience, "....anyone here from Whiteinch ? , we went to school there!" , my mates thought he was kidding ,especially with his thick" Geordie" accent .But it turned out to be true.......other famous Scots that did a runner as quick as they could ;
David Byrne (Talking Heads)
Deborah Kerr (The King & I)
Tony Blair (ex-prime minister
Mahatma Ghandi (Ok ,made that one up)
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

Funny Alan :D

Dire Straits first two albums Dire Straits and Communique remain to this day my favorite albums from them, I got them as soon as they came out.

I just couldn't get into their later work that much, they sold out and became trendy if you ask me, (specially Money for Nothing, even with its trademark riff).

Mark's guitar's picking has remained awesome through the years, and he's got some excellent solo work. And although not a big country fan, I do like his song with Emmilou Harris "This Is Us".

That's just me.

Lily :D
chrismiller
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by chrismiller »

Hey everybody,
Tina3 wrote: Peter,I think I have not written clearly what I meant.I know Mark was born in Scotland what I meant was his father was Hungarian and his mother was English.Is that more correct so to speak ? Or is that information incorrect?
You're absolutely correct, Tina :) . Mark Knopfler's father was Hungarian immigrated from the country because of the political situation.

By the by, actors Johnny Weissmuller, Tony Curtis, Leslie Howard, Peter Lorre, Drew Barrymore, Paul Newman, Adrian Brody and musicians Gene Simmons, Alanis Morissette and Paul Simon wear the same shoes, too.

Chris
You can waste a whole lifetime trying to be what you think that's expected of you
But you'll never be free.
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Hi everyone,
Hi Alan, thanks for that very interesting information.You are so funny and by the way I didn't know you were Scottish :)
chrismiller wrote:You're absolutely correct, Tina :) . Mark Knopfler's father was Hungarian immigrated from the country because of the political situation.
Thanks Chris for this.I still have a lot to learn about Mark and maybe either you or Alan could help me here.Have you any idea what the song Cannibals is about.

I like the way Mark sounds now more so than when he did in Dire Straits although in saying that I am finding songs by Dire straits only now that I love.

lilybee wrote:Mark's guitar's picking has remained awesome through the years, and he's got some excellent solo work. And although not a big country fan, I do like his song with Emmilou Harris "This Is Us".
I will try and get this one and see what I think .
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

Mark Knopfler, you say?
He was in Warsaw on May 2, 2008, all right. The gig was great and there is a number of videos on both Youtube and AOL servers recorded by people holding mobile phones in the crowd.
As far as the songs played, it was a set of sixteen (16) all well known tunes plus "Local Hero" to wrap things up.
Just type-in in any browser: "Mark Knopfler 02.05.2008 Torwar Warsaw Live"
The "Torwar" is the name for a local ice-scatting ring turned into a concert hall once the season changes.
Enjoy,
Chris