Tina Turner Live in Concert

Here you can talk about any artist BUT Chris Rea
chrismiller
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Tina Turner Live in Concert

Post by chrismiller »

Hey everyone,

It's a little bit belated review of Tina's concert of 23 February in Munich Olympiahalle that I had the luck to see.
Well, show began at 20.15 with an intro of The Beatles' Get Back sung by Tina (from record yet); then when the audience got into rhythm enough that went to the opening bass-hits of Steamy Windows while the huge red curtains opened and Tina stood high up there on a hydraulic platform some 6 meters above the stage in a glittering golden dress.
The first set contained five songs and hell, there was no sign proving she turned 69 last November!! If I want to be honest she has 6-8 kilos plus weight on her but she still can jump on one foot in those crazy red-sole spike-heel shoes and still dances like a 20-year-old and her voice is still breath-takingly amazing... actually it's a lot better live than on recordings! Those yeah-yeah-yeaaahs in River Deep - Mountain High really made the hair on my arms stand up.
She was very funny when asking "Am I right saying there's a carnival in the city...? Well, I'm your carnival tonight!" (There really was carnival that night in Munich)
After the first set that finished with rough guitar solos of Better Be Good To Me and huge flames burning all around the stage there was a dance performance by the young group called the Ninjas then the band started playing The Who's Won't Get Fooled Again that turned to the opening chords of Acid Queen when the huge video screen opened and Tina appeared AS the Acid Queen wearing all red with a huge cloak flying behind her.
Image Image
This second set contained 6-7 minutes versions of What's Love... and Private Dancer with Tina wearing a glittering red dress I guess even young girls don't dare getting on :) During What's Love she actually squeezed that middle part of her dress in between her legs so she looked liked... well, you can imagine; she looked like standing there in panties :)
In Private Dancer there also was a very passionate saxophone solo by the amazing Euge Groove then the Ninjas came up on stage again while the stage transformed into a set of Mad Max III then Tina appeared wearing the same dress and wig she did in the movie. This first half of concert ended with fireworks exploding to the final strums of We Don't Need Another Hero and the red curtains closing in.

After the 30 minutes intermission the curtains opened to show a sitting set of the band and they began playing Tina's version of The Beatles' Help which was the musical top spot of the night... her voice almost broke the house down! This unplugged part went on with amazing performances of Let's Stay Together and I Can't Stand the Rain among others then they stood up to the opening of the Stones' Jumping Jack Flash... Tina sang her unique old-time combination of JJF and It's Only R'N'R while did that crazy head-shaking, arm-stretching, jumping choreography that she did 25 years ago... and I caught my breath because she did the VERY SAME way!! No slower, no lower, but with that very energy she had when she was around 40.
Then she left the stage to change and the Ninjas performed once again until a huge golden James Bond-like eye appeared at the back of the stage that opened slowly to the sounds of Goldeneye and Tina appeared in it. She was wearing a long gold and black gown and golden shoes. It was once again a breath-taking performance; her voice really made me shiver.
Then the show continued with her greatest hits like Addicted to Love or Proud Mary... Tina threw the gown off and under that she wore another very daring golden-brown dress. Image
Everybody got on their feet and clapped through the six minutes of The Best which was amazing especially by the end when Tina and her dancers did that foxtrot-like dance with those spike-heels on (if you've ever seen a live clip of The Best you know what kind of dance I mean).
The atmosphere went higher and higher with the beginning of Proud Mary full of flashing lights that ended up a 10 minutes performance of the song with Tina and the dancers jumping and shaking her hips doing that well-known stunning choreography.
Then Tina disappeared for a short while to fly back onto stage in black pants and a pirate-like white shirt to do Nutbush City Limits. By the end she was lifted up on a huge hydraulic moving arm some 10 meters above the audience... she was dancing up there on that one-meter-wide arm in high heels and I wondered how came she didn't fall off :D All the people in the house shouting 'nutbush' during that never ending fun-time she made us singing over and over again...
Finally she went back onto stage to do a very emotional version of Be Tender With Me Baby... she waved to us while the band leaving the stage (music went on); after a show lasting over 2 hours making her farewell both to us and her 50-years lasting stage work.

I can say she's got a huge load of strength, reflection and --- noone else has - we really fell in love with her from the first moment on. Plus we could feel she's a human being... she's so sincere and down-to-earth you can easily imagine her walking on the street in front of you and gladly stopping for having a cup of coffee with you. The way she treated her band; introducing each and every one including the lighting director, the sound engineer and the production crew... and she left both to her vocalists, Stacey Campbell and (the great) Lisa Fisher their own performances... you know she gave the stage to Stacey in the end of Better Be Good To Me and to Lisa in It's Only R'n'R when she went to change. And finally, when she asked us did we have a good time (and we, of course, cheered) she told us "Me too!".
These are the bits that make her the most authentic and loveable performer ever... and I'm sure I will never forget this wonderful meeting with the Queen of Rock 'n' Roll (or the more we call her in Hungary, the Rockgranny)!!!

The setlist was the following:

Steamy Windows
Typical Male
River Deep Mountain High
What You Get Is What You See
Better Be Good To Me
Acid Queen
What's Love Got To Do With It?
Private Dancer
We Don't Need Another Hero
--Intermission--
Help
Undercover Agent For The Blues
Let's Stay Together
I Can't Stand The Rain
Jumping Jack Flash/It's Only Rock And Roll
Goldeneye
Addicted To Love
The Best
Proud Mary
Nutbush City Limits
Be Tender With Me Baby

Thank you for staying with me; it happened to be a bit long... all the best,
Chris
You can waste a whole lifetime trying to be what you think that's expected of you
But you'll never be free.
Gabriëlle
Support
Support

Re: Tina Turner Live in Concert

Post by Gabriëlle »

Sound like a very good show. I'm very happy to say i'm going to see her here in Holland in a few weeks!
chrismiller
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by chrismiller »

Gabrielle,

I bet you won't be disappointed at all and you'll have one great and memorable evening with the Queen!
I wish you a great time and if you have the time let me know how it went.

Chris
You can waste a whole lifetime trying to be what you think that's expected of you
Gabriëlle
Support
Support

Post by Gabriëlle »

Thanks, i will let you know...maybe i can take some pictures aswell.
Gabriëlle
Support
Support

Post by Gabriëlle »

Saturday March 21st ……The day we have been looking forward to for almost a year, finally we where going to see Tina Turner live in concert!!!!!

Packed with some sandwiches we went on our way to the Gelredome in Arnhem. Ignoring all the warnings that it would be impossible to park the car at the concert hall we gave it a shot anyway and we able to park the car right before the entrance. About one hundred people where already in line before us when we arrived at 15.00 pm. Bart and I had both been feeling butterflies in our stomach all day –nervous if we would get a good spot in front- but so far so good! Luckily the weather was great that day so waiting in line while eating our sandwiches, chatting and taking funny pictures was no problem at all. At 17.00 pm the line got crowded and a camera team from the Dutch television arrived to film people outside (and so we heard later on, also some parts of the concert). At 18.00pm the doors of the concert hall opened and people started rushing in. A quick bag-check forced me to leave the water –and cola bottles we broad with us behind (o, how we would regret take later on…….).

Running all the way to the stage we found ourselves a great spot right in the middle with only a few people in frond of us. Congratulating ourselves that we had managed to get this great spot the 2 hours of countdown before Tina would hit the stage began.

After being bored for an hour by world’s worst DJ, we could see the hall filling up with more and more people. When all 45.000 where complete (the concert was sold out!), the lights dimmed at 20.00 pm, the curtains opened and we could see Tina standing on a platform high up on the stage. When she opened her mouth to hit the first of many beautiful notes of that evening we where mesmerised!!!

The set list of that evening was just as Chris already described in his post above. Highlights of the evening where definitely ‘What’s love got to do with it’ in which she asked the crowd to join her in making that statement ;), ‘Private dancer’ and ‘Golden eye’ if only for her entrance on stage!

During the break we where both exhausted from dancing and singing along and the thirst made us considering to go to the bar and get a drink, but afraid of losing our great places we decided the thirst not to let get us and we stayed put.

2 hours of show went by like it where to minutes and before we knew it Tina started with the last three songs of the show. She gave ‘Proud Mary’ her absolute best, if we didn’t know any better we would have never, ever believed that we where looking at a 69 year old woman. Looking at he amazing figure, her voice being in great shape and her overload of energy and effort she put into giving us a night to remember we would never give her a day over 40.

With ‘Nutbush City Limits’ Tina literally gave us the highlight of the show by getting up in a 10 meter high crane and performing the song right above our heads. Bart and I had to squeeze hands of excitement and fear when we watched her running around and bending so far forward we where scared she would fall down. Of course everything went smooth, but we sighted with relieve when she got safely down at the stage.

‘Be tender with me baby’ was the perfect finale to the show (if only for the fact that this is my favourite Tina song) and I couldn’t help the tears running down from my eyes, knowing that this would be the end of the show and for one moment in time it felt like she sang that song especially for me …..

All and all it was any amazing show which I will never forget.

Gabriëlle

Ps. Bart, thank you for the most wonderful Christmas present ever!
chrismiller
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by chrismiller »

Hey,

Checking some pics on the web I'm sure this Gelredome was a great and ideal place for Tina's stunning gig and reading your review she gave you a lifetime experience never be forgotten!!

I found it strange you had to leave the bottles behind, I mean who wants to throw anything against Tina :shock:
When I saw the Stones in 2007 we had to leave bottlecaps, only caps (!) behind... then we get water in plastic bag inside... that had the same temperature as the air... some 38 degrees...

Anyway... I congratulate you, too, for having such a great place so close to the stage!! That must be totally breath-taking seeing Tina right above your heads in Nutbush (and worrying would she fall down or not :D )

Tell me did she wear the golden dress in the beginning and the black one for the unplugged part or the black and silver ones?

Thank you for your post and I'm happy to know you saw such a fantastic show last Saturday as I did last month :D

Oh, and yes... one more thing before I forget ;-)
Tell me Gabrielle what would you say if you saw yourself cheering there on your TV screen at home in a few months? Because the Saturday and Sunday shows were filmed with 20+ cameras to be released as the 50th Anniversary Live DVD after the tour is over :D
Well, I'm a bit jealous now... :D

All my best,
Chris
Gabriëlle
Support
Support

Post by Gabriëlle »

Indeed The Gelredome was a great place to film the concert and i can't wait for the DVD to come out and relive the concert!!!